All reviews gurney drive beach cafe mr firdaus jacuzzi tub living hall separate toilet huge room great sea view no lift small gym infinity pool bit dated hotel lobby buffet breakfast food court hotel management pleasant stay
Reviewed 15 January 2018

For the price it is a good deal.

Pros:
Big Room with separate Room & Office/Study
Big Bathroom + Bath tub with Jacuzzi
Location distance to sea & there is a food court with cheap food

Cons:
Old building, can see it used to be a good hotel
Breakfast too many people with limited variety
Facilities are not so new looking

Room Tip: Choose high floor facing the Sea. it would be faster to Use the service lift
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

First impression this hotel is an old hotel, little bit spooky. They have very large room, 3 bathroom was nice. Rooftop pool, nice view. Various bfast menu, but hard to find available table when bfast time. But I enjoy to stay here.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
WangChenYee, Hotel Manager at The Northam All Suite Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

Dear Swandana,

Thank you for taking time to share your recent stay experience with us. We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed our spacious suite and roof top pool.

All of us at Northam are looking forward to welcome you back to the Northam in the near future. Thank you.

Reviewed 30 December 2017

I have stayed there twice now in the last 5 months (july and november), both times for 2 n 3 nights respectively. While the rooms are very large and comfortable though the furnitures and tiles seriously needs refurbishing but all in all, its still value for money as the hotel are giving out great promotion for the stay. Though the 2nd time stays back in november, we did discovered urine just next to our toilet bowl, one time when I got back to the hotel in the afternoon while the other one was when my wife woke up at night. Ghost peeing, I don't know but hey, it did not disturbed us in any way nor appear to us at all so who cares though I had a hard time getting rid of the larger urine when I got back in the afternoon. perhaps could be the cleaner purposely peeing there or ghost urine, I don't know but hey, it didn't disturb us at all, so didn't complained.

Having said that, the same cannot be said of the breakfast offered free together with the stay and practically the menus for the 5 days there are almost the same and the quality are rather bland and worst, yes worst, the one I really felt offended and rather disturbed was the fact that the restaurant manager was monitoring those who came for the breakfast like a hawk as if guests there are trying to cheat the hotel of free breakfast. I have been to many hotels and let's just compared those hotel in penang, st.giles de wembley and lexis hotels which offered fantastic breakfast and mind u, their rate for breakfast is far far expensive than that of northam and when it comes to breakfast which offered for the stay there too, the restaurant managers over there were rather relaxed and even once actually told me this when I told her that my daughter needed to be charged since its only for 2 but the manager in st. giles just smiled and said to me, No worries sir, just enjoy your breakfast. That's the attitude that must be nurtured in getting the patrons a great sense of belonging when they stayed there. But nope, the indian guy, I assume he is an indian, he is watching everything like a hawk and acted as if he will gonna get u and no free breakfast attitude. Believe me, i stayed there for 5 nights n thus 5 breakfast and 3 times the tables next to us was looking very unconfortable when the indian guy manager actually came to check on those tables and acted tough. Seriously, NO NO NO!!!!!

Having said that the last time in november, absolutely loves the 2 malay gals receptionists whom were very friendly and helpful. One with a short but golden dyed hair while the other a lovely looking pony tailed lock hair. Both are a YES YES YES!!!!!!!

Thank you.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Dear Mr Ken,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. Please accept our sincere apology for the unpleasant experience during your most recent stay with us.

I have shared your candid feedback with the respective Department Heads and immediate actions have been taken to address the issues mentioned.

Thank you for your continue support of the Northam. When your travel plan brings you back to Penang, Please contact my office directly and I will personally arrange your next reservation for you and ensure your future stay with us will be a more enjoyable one. Thank you.

Reviewed 25 December 2017

The hotel is good but relatively old. The facilities seem need to upgraded. The wifi user are limited to 4 user. The price is average. The breakfast is standard. The good things are the sleeping room is big and it has a kind of guess room which is quite big that be expanded for sleeping. The room can accommodate for 3-4 person. It is good for family.
The hotel is in georgetown,closed to some hospitals (island hospital, loh guan lye, siloam and adventis) but not really in the centre ( Komtar area). The access for public transportation is easy, there is a bus stop near the hotel ( 200m). There a street food at the back of the hotel.

Room Tip: the room with sea view is better
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 December 2017 via mobile

Basically we are pretty satisfied with the ambient and condition of the hotel in term of room size, private jacuzzi in washroom, room seaview and etc. My husband and I stayed at level 29.
When we back from dinner at night 16.12.17, it was heavy windy rain out there, the water keep seeping and dripping in thru the curtain wall.
Asked for the receptionist to check the condition, they acted slow (anyhow, the rain stop within half an hour)....

Hope the hotel management can improve on this issue.

Stayed: December 2017

Dear Ms Lim,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the spacious suite with seaview during your recent stay with us. However, please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you encounter with the leaking during the heavy rain storm.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Northam soon. Thank you.