“Very good food”

Ranked #1 of 929 Restaurants in George Town
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Kebaya is the diningroom of the Seven Terraces and is open to hotel guests and the public.Open daily, 7pm till 10pm.Christopher Ong has worked with the hotel’s chefs to create a menu of classic Indo and Straits Chinese Nyonya dishes. They have refined these using French cooking techniques and innovative produce to deliver surprising new twists on this already fascinating cuisine.The effect is simple, delicious full of flavour and dazzling.A four course degustation menu of entrée, main course, vegetables and dessert is served in Chinese style to allow guests to share the dishes. The Baba Bar is open daily from 2pm onwards, with live piano music in a very intimate setting.
Astoria, New York
“Very good food”
Reviewed 16 April 2017

It's top scale restaurant but you should definitely go there to try local delicacy. They have pre-fix menu with a lot of varieties. The food was delicious, the staff was very friendly and helpfull and the whole venue is very nice. Great place to celebrate your vacations in Malaysia!

• Visited April 2017

• Polish first
  • Thai first
“Outstanding fine dining”
Reviewed 14 April 2017

Booked one day ahead for a Thursday night. Arrived about 15 minutes early and had a well made Whisky Sour in the bar area.

It took a while to be asked to be seated at my table - I was the first one to arrive at the restaurant, but by the time I was seated there were others already seated so I presume my table had been prepared but the staff had forgotten I was at the bar? Or they give priority to hotel guests - cannot really confirm this, just speculating on the reason I got ignored for a while. Also, the table was not the best table in the room, I would have liked to have had some view of the piano player but this was well hidden from me.

The food was sublime - I went for the Otak Otak starter which was red snapper in puff pastry served with a lovely yellow curry sauce. Then I had the Lor Ark which is some of the best duck I've eaten - the soft duck, caramelised plum and oranges and the spicy sauce worked so well together. At one point I was enjoying this so much, I hadn't even noticed the waitress had come over to ask me how it was. Finally, I had the Pandan Creme Brûlée, which was heavenly - a local spin on creme brûlée, this was better then I expected and well crafted.

I asked for a wine/port pairing for each of the courses - the waitress recommended for each and they were spot on complimenting the food very well. I liked that the staff could provide good pairing recommendations as it made my life easier and added to the already excellent experience.

I also enjoyed the live piano in the background, the china dishes and the relaxed, casual ambience in the dining room. It was really classy and excellent value when you compare to something similar in London. In total, it was around £50-60 for everything - maybe expensive for Penang but not if you are looking for the entire dining experience to be looked after.

Highly recommend.

• Visited April 2017
1 Thank Vijay P
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wonderful birthday dinner”
Reviewed 14 April 2017

We decided to splurge ad try their tasting menu. So glad we did. And then when the pianist played happy birthday, it was a great extra touch. Wonderful staff (that knew when to insert a well placed joke) and delicious food. Definitely a night to remember.

Visited December 2016
Bangkok
“Good Local Food in Nice Ambience at the reasonable price.”
Reviewed 13 April 2017 via mobile

Fortunately, we've booked the table. The restaurant is so packed even in Wednesday night! We came in pair so we have to order two sets.

For the starter we order Otak Otak❤️ (a fish pie w/ a red curry dipping sauce, which taste like Thai Panang). The others is Mieng Kham w/ Salmon Roe, which we kind like the original one (w/o salmon roe) more>< All starter came in 3 pieces for each order.

For Main, we order the organic roast pork and grilled snapper in curry sauce (the same sauce as Otak Otak, I think), Both dishes are great. The fish fillet is so big & fresh. The pork taste nice and so crispy.

For the green, we have crispy tempura (quite normal) and wing bean spicy salad (quite weird). All greens and mains are served together w/ plain jasmine rice.

For dessert, we have a Pandan Creme brûlée. I don't usually like creme brûlée but this one is so good. It could be better if it's a bit colder and a bit more firmly texture. The others is a palm sugar mousse which the taste is quite strange.

Overall, we quite like the food and the ambience. They offer a good local experience at the reasonable price. The portions are too big though. We couldn't finished them all ><

Visited April 2017
2 Thank Kookie S
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
“Atmospheric meal”
Reviewed 13 April 2017

In the restored 7 terraces and costing about £20 each. 3-4 set menu with real delicacies with a local twist. Amazing service and great atmosphere, setting. Pianist. Would definitely go back.

Visited April 2017