“Amazing! Not a "poor" or "average" hotel”
Review of Ren i Tang

Ren i Tang
Ranked #3 of 173 George Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 April 2017

I visited this place last year. There is something quite magical about this hotel but I can't put my finger on what it is. The location is fantastic, very busy in the day and quiet at night. The girls who work here are amazing, by the time you leave it's like leaving family. And....they have introduced me to Penang White coffee :) The owner is equally as beautiful who I have had the pleasure of drinking with after hours. I love the no shoes upstairs policy which is something we already have at home. You cannot go wrong with this place and I will love to visit this place again which will happen soon :)

Room Tip: The breakfast here amazing ...roti canai :)
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Billy N
There are newer reviews for Ren i Tang

Reviewed 7 April 2017 via mobile

Sensitively and beautifully restored building in a fantastic location; open the windows and shutters in your room and let the sounds and fragrances of Georgetown's Little India drift in. Comfortable room, fantastic shower, good breakfast and the friendliest staff you could wish for. If there's a better place to stay in the historic heart of Georgetown I'd like to know about it....

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2017

Very special boutique hotel set in the middle of the action. The restoration has been done very well and it is a pleasure to stay there. A special mention to the staff who really create the atmosphere. Full marks! This is the personal style that differentiates this type hotel from the chains.
Note of caution: rooms can be a bit noisy from other guests. Street noise is OK.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2017

Amazing place, brilliant team of people behind it.
Albeit the price, it really adds up to the value. I would highly recommend you this place if you are in for some heritage feeling home while still feeling hip with the modern vibes around the building fused with things from the past.

I stayed in loft 18 with my girlfriend. Room was ready 15 mins later but it didn't matter because we get to hang out at Bistro Tang. Old hipster cafe just below the living quarters. The team was very helpful - especially Uma. As soon as we arrive, there were all smiles and helpful gestures. Uma gave me brochures even though I had tripadvisor and ipad ready for my journey. She also gave me her personal recommendations of my journey plan and help me organize my adventure in penang in a more enjoyable manner.

The place itself is quiet, but if you miss the crowd ambiance u can just chill by the bistro below as you can hear the ambiance that little india has to offer. Food is close by, good food. Convenience store is right in front. It's also quite central in Georgetown, meaning you are equidistant to places like Armenian street (murals), to the Fort up north, weld quay or even to the west for more murals and temples/shrines/mosques/churches. Pinang Pernakan mansion is just 2-5 mins walk away.

Highlight of the trip: Yeok, Uma and the girls ( I was told that Karen no longer works here) made us feel like home, same time helped us so much in our plans. Breakfast was simple but good. Room was really cozy and clean. The whole building is clean. The only thing that bothers me were the stairs, so be careful with the steep stairs!

5 stars for the team and Ren i Tang :) Cheers!

Room Tip: Choose the lofts for the hipster vibe!
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2017

Out of 6 hotels visited in Malaysia, this was the best one. With limited number of rooms, basic but yet functional amenities & correct-matching decoration, it allows anyone to feel honored to stay on an heritage site. I personally loved the bathroom amenities, especially the 100% natural soap.
And WiFi was good enough for me to work at distance, just missed a desk in room.
The big plus is that staff was ultra friendly and down to earth: should you just pass-by you wouldn't tell that they are working here!
Location is really great, at an equal distance from any place of interest in George town and in a very lively neighborhood at night - Little India, still not noisy for early sleepers!
Breakfast might look simplified, but it reflect the relaxed atmosphere of the premises and believe us we got enough energy to keep walking afterwards from noon till 8 pm.
Would recommend to anyone we'll meet in the future, except maybe for those travelling with young kids and those that just don't care about history.
Our tip is to get the address ready for taxi driver (ours didn't know the place which ultimately turn out to be an auspicious sign for an intimate stay) or simply call reception to announce your arrival.
We stayed 2 nights and honestly that was just way too short to enjoy all what Penang Island could offer to you: definitely would come back!

Room Tip: room on first floor since no elevator and possibly strong heat.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple