Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
James N
Kuching, Malaysia

A pleasant stay

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 28 May 2024via mobile
Stayed here for one night on a stop over on my way to Langkawi. Check in was late because of late arrival thus unable to explore the streets. Had breakfast at a nearby street coffee shop before exploring the streets in the vicinity. Managed to enjoy the famous Penang’s asam laksa and cendul before checking out. The room was spacious enough with basic facilities.
Date of stay: May 2024
  • StayForLong
    RM 664
  • Vio.com
View more hotels in George Town
All reviews armenian street strategic location location is great pleasant stay wifi penang
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 April 2024

there's nothing that can be described more about this hotel than it is comfortable enough to sleep, near to the food center and in the opposite roada, there's a building which is a UNESCO heritage site, in level ground this hotel there's a mini market which provides snacks and mineral water, in general, this hotel is fairly good.

Room tip: you should have spend a convenient relax time moment at night at the rooftop hotel which as a cafe.
Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2023

Great location for seeing the city, but noisy and needs maintenance. Two mosques nearby which call regularly between 5 am and 9pm, often outside prayer times. Linen is old and grey, pillows stained.

Room tip: Get a room at the back away from the road.
Date of stay: June 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2023

This is the third time we are staying here because of the location and good rate. Wifi this time around was pathetic. You have to sign in
- every time you leave the hotel & return
- if you close your phone and work on your iPad, you have to sign in again
- forget about streaming.
We were told it could be the room location and was offered a different room. Same wifi problem.
If I had not paid a non refundable rate I would have checks out and get another hotel.
No cold water in the shower. Had to ask 3 times before it was rectified.
Do not look look I will stay here in the future despite the great location.

Date of stay: June 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2023 via mobile

I wonder if this should review should give 0 stars, maybe 1 is too much?

This hotel is tried and no one should stay here. Staff were not helpful. I had quite a number of issues during my stay which I list below:

- The bedding on my first night had stains on it - some looked like food or grease, others were maybe make up, and I don’t know what others were, I had the bedding changed the next day and the ‘clean’ set they put on had more marks (water stains, food stain, black mark), I was bought more clean bedding but again… this also hard marks and stains! It was the least stained of the lot so I kept them and gave up. The housekeeping seems surprised I was pointing out these marks but didn’t care and just said this was the best they had. So in summary: 3x sets of stained bedding

- Damp smell - my room smelt of damp when I checked in, I could not tell if it was the AC unit needed turning on for a while or if damp from an obvious old water leak in the ceiling (which had been repaired badly and not painted). I later saw a damp trap on top of wardrobe so suspect actual damp. When I told reception they acted confused and offered me another room which was smaller and also smelt damp. So I kept my current room in the end. I aired it daily by opening the window which helped along with keeping the AC on so the damp smell was very minimal.

- The room and hotel was in general disrepair and tired and needs a wholistic fix up and redecoration. There was cracking in walls under the window in my room, Plaster coming off wall, Bare wires and of course the badly repaired old leak in the ceiling with a jig brown water mark on the ceiling. The lifts etc and shared areas are also very tired and worn down with old paint visible below newer paint that is peeling off etc.

- The Mattress in my room (and the other room I was offered) was the wrong way round; the long side of the mattress against the headboard. Strange and looked messy (with big gaps by pillows etc) and didn’t make for the comfiest sleep as I need the length of the bed being tall.

- I had to give deposit for laundry (they should give me deposit Incase they loose my clothes?) - advised my laundry would be ready form 4pm next day. When I went to collect at 4:15pm next day but not ready, I was advised to come back at “6:08pm or 8pm”. Laundry not there at 6:30pm, told it maybe there later but they did not know. Collected about 7:30pm and it cost a lot more than I anticipated (and then any other laundry on my trip so far). I was too tried and annoyed to argue and just grateful to have my clothes back.

- Very poor wifi - didn’t reach all of my room, and the part of the room it did reach the connection was very slow and would disconnect a lot.

- Reception staff did not know any taxi numbers when I asked reception. They simply shrugged and said they did not know. They did not offer to find me one and just acted like the conversation was over and looked back at their computer.

- AC unit in reception leaking on floor the whole time i was there (4 nights)

- communal roof terrace messy and part boarded off, the area behind looked like maybe someone was living up there or using the area to dry their laundry etc.

- Small ants in my bathroom. Not many but some. I was on the 5th floor so not like they were coming in the window or anything.

- Reception would not change large currency note so I could get the bus (which does not give change).

Overall, do not stay here. This hotel is tired and long past it’s best. Staff do not seem to care about the state of the hotel or the service they provide. The place needs to close for full refurbishment and the services they offer to guests needs a full review.

Date of stay: March 2023
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2023

Overall a nice experience. A nice character heritage place, but one of the front desk ladies who attended to us was a bit rude. Instead of politely telling us to wait for our room, she instructed us to wait for our room. She allocated parking space no.1 which was the furthest n the most difficult to park whilst there were still so many n easier to reach parking spaces available. Very disappointing indeed.

Strategic location. Comfortable n clean room. The room Towels smelt quite badly. Breakfast at rooftop with a nice view. But dishes were limited. Food tasted so so only. No half boiled eggs. There were some unsightly wooden planks laying around at the rooftop. This is off-putting.

We were charged an extra heritage fee of rm4/-