“Tasty cheap eat”
Review of Veloo Villas

Veloo Villas
Ranked #140 of 1,059 Restaurants in George Town
Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

I didn't know what to expect from this place but within a second of me sitting down a banana leaf was placed in front of me and 3 ladles of various vegetable dishes were placed on it. Next the rice was served onto the leaf followed by a couple of sauces. I was then offered various meats and meat dishes but I only chose the chicken, I wish that I could eat more!
The food that I had was delicious, I also had a mango lassi which was served in a very large glass and was lovely too.
I'll eat here again if I come back to Penang.

Reviewed 13 April 2018

Penang is a culinary Mecca, supposedly. The renowned street food was further down for me, plus I was told there might not be enough vegetarian options for me.

Being with a child by myself, I wouldn't have hiked down there. So I just cabbed it up from the hotel to here.

Malaysia is famous for roti canai. In the US, it is and they usually have a coconut based curry. Little did I know that here, the vegetarian version of the curry is usually dal.  So that was disappointing. But everything else was superb.

We got an uttapam, a masala dosa, and a roti 'canai'. The sambar, tomato dal, and chutney were free flow and self serve.

I fancied the chutney, as usual, given it was so good.

The child was friendly-ly threatened by an overzealous server who was only trying to be nice and help the mother (I) as he noticed the child wasn't eating despite the mother's pleading. Two more times of the server's checking in, and tears streamed down the child's eyes, when I asked the server to cut it off and pretended to be the hero to the child telling him I've taken care of it - him :D

The food is quite cheap in Malaysia, probably cheaper than India. Paid and then walked back to the hotel. Which was less than 30 minutes, with the child. Strangely enough, the concierge there told me it would take me over an hour to walk it.

More photos and details on my blog - thevegetarianvoyager[dot]com

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Simple, basic, clean local shop, serving local Indian food. Great variety of food and drinks. I had the roti canai, which was served hot and tasty, with a choice of 3 gravies.

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

Place is quite basic.I had banana leaf meal it is choice meat plus rice and sauces and eaten by hand.Very tasty food

Reviewed 23 January 2018 via mobile

This is a banana leaf restaurant. We had lunch there and they served us our meal asking only if we preferred chicken, tofu or pork. It was so good! Very inexpensive and terrific.