All reviews magpie free washing my home away from home quiet road free breakfast curtain for privacy person dorm queen room bicycle rental family room quiet area staying nights instant coffee minute walk toilet door great place to stay walking distance
Reviewed 27 June 2018

I booked a Classic Queen Room inclusive of set breakfast for 1 night stay.

Although I am not familiar with Penang, but Waze did a good job in bringing me to the hotel. When you have arrived, please take note that there is a private car park in front of Magpie Residence but it doesn't belong to this hotel, instead it belongs to another hotel called Museum Hotel. Anyway, hotel guests can still park their carks on the roadside in front of the hotel, free of charge. But since the space is limited, if you are driving, you better come earlier.

Upon check-in, deposit was not required. The receptionist was very friendly. After checking-in, she showed me all the way to my room. I was given a room at the 3rd floor (room #3-A). The room was clean. It has two windows, if you stay in this room, you can see the outside of the hotel through one window (but blocked by another building) and the outside of the room (but still within the hotel) through another one. The mattress and pillows were soft and comfortable to sleep. I like the idea of having a fan in an air-Cond room because by turning on the fan, the room becomes cooling very fast. After staying in so many hotels, this is the first one that gave me the feeling of home. Thumbs up for the hotel!

There is no TV in the room as it is only available at the common area. Without TV, I had got nothing to do in the room at night :( Luckily, the Wi-Fi speed was fast enough, so I spent my whole night watching YouTube videos. So, I guess the owner of the hotel may consider putting a TV in each room. Another thing to be taken into consideration is to improve the sound proof system of the rooms as it was not really sound proof. The sound of other guests closing their doors can be heard clearly. It becomes worse when it rains, as noise from outside of the room was very loud and very disturbing.

The room was not provided with drinking water in bottles but two water dispensers are available in the hotel. I made some coffee during my stay :) Some basic amenities provided by the hotel include kettle, clothes iron, hair dryer, and some clothes hangers. As for the bathroom, although it is small, it was clean. Two towels were provided but I didn't use them. So, I have no idea whether they are clean or smelled good.

Upon check-in, I was given two breakfast vouchers because the room that I booked is for two persons. So, I asked for two sets of breakfast and they gave me two sets. this impressed me a lot. Based on my past experience staying in other hotels, if the hotels are offering breakfast in set (but not buffet breakfast), even if I paid for a room for two persons with sets of breakfast, they gave only one voucher. The breakfast the hotel served was "egg sandwich with mash potato", simple and yet delicious. The owner was so nice that he even prepared the second set of sandwich for me to be taken away, as he was afraid that I couldn't finish two sets at one time. I really enjoyed my breakfast, thank you, Magpie!

In overall, I'm very satisfied with the service and room provided by the hotel. Therefore, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Sean442014
Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

Absolutely loved this place. The rooms are spacious and clean. This is the cleanest place we stayed in, in all of Malaysia. The staff and owner are extremely friendly and ensure that guest have a pleasant stay. The owner is also extremely knowledgeable about the area and transport and gave us great advice.
The breakfast is a good mix of local and western food(different each day). We stayed here over my wife birthday and I asked the owner if he could decorated the room as a surprise to my wife. We were so stunned by all the effort they went trough to make the room more special. My wife loved it. We cant thank the guesthouse enough.
This place is highly recommended , book here you won't regret it.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank matthysg2017
Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

Loved that breakfast is included in the room rate and that you can help yourself to tea and coffee through out the day! The beds are really comfortable and we stayed in the pod style dorm which was great! Massive lockers to put all of your belongings in, clean bathrooms with hot water and a free water dispenser and kitchen area as part of the dorm! Free toiletries included too! The hostel even offered to do our laundry too for no extra charge which was amazing! Light and charging point in each pod and two little cubbie holes containing a full length mirror and separate light! Good WiFi. Really friendly and helpful staff. Can not rate this hostel enough, one of the best that we have stayed in so far during our time travelling around south east Asia. Thank you :)

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mollyfroggatt94
Reviewed 4 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights in the ‘King Room’. I highly recommend this property. This is one of our favourite stays so far of our 5 month travels.
The staff were very accommodating and friendly. The room was big and very clean. The bed was very comfortable. Free water, tea and coffee were provided.
The property is perfectly located a short walk from the centre of George Town in a quiet road. As a light sleeper I have never slept so well.
Breakfast was provided and staff are accommodating with preference.
Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Natalie W
Reviewed 19 April 2018

Magpie hostel is in the perfect location, just outside the crazy part of Penang but still within an easy 10 minute walk of everything cool. I could just chill out at the hostel and then walk into town for craziness whenever I wanted rather than being trapped in tourist chaos or a 24 hour party.

Stone speaks perfect English and will definitely help you find things all over the city. The breakfasts are great!!!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo