All reviews magpie free washing my home away from home quiet road free breakfast curtain for privacy person dorm queen room bicycle rental family room quiet area staying nights instant coffee minute walk toilet door great place to stay walking distance
Reviewed 21 July 2018

The hostel itself was great - comfy beds, spacious rooms, good showers, helpful staff... but it was just a bit lonely. I didn't really meet any other travellers in my 5 days staying there. I moved elsewhere and met lots of people which was fun, it's just a shame this place fell short in that area because it is really nice! If they had a social area it would allow for more mingling between guests which would be better.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed at Magpie for 3 nights during our trip to Malaysia and it was perfect in every way. The location is great- so close to lively and thriving streets but on a quiet road itself.

We booked a queen room. Our room was clean and spacious. In addition to towels and bed linen we were provided with toiletries, tea/coffee facilities and a hairdryer. The aircon and fan worked and were silent, meaning that we got a great night’s sleep every evening.

We stayed over the weekend so breakfast on the first morning was sausage and egg on toast, then cheese and ham toastie and then a full English breakfast. The portions were not at all skimpy and everything tasted great.

What we really liked about Magpie was how helpful the people running it were. On one morning we were going to be leaving for a tour really early (before breakfast)- when we explained this, we were kindly given bread and jams for the next morning so we didn’t go hungry. We were also able to have our onward flight tickets printed off for us which saved us a lot of faff.

Our stay here was just what we needed after a couple of stays in dodgy hostels. I couldn’t recommend this place highly enough.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca K
Reviewed 12 July 2018

I appreciate that the 8-cube provides enough privacy to each occupant even if the setup is comparable to that of a dormitory. Each cube has its own overhead light, mini electric fan and USB outlets (no need to lug around a universal adaptor here). Fast wifi connection is available. I appreciate that the shared bathroom and comfort rooms are regularly cleaned (little to none "hair monsters" clogging the drain, which is common in public bathrooms). Clean towels are provided.
Drinking water is available. Breakfast is served daily, with the menu changing daily, and is filling enough to get you started for your adventures for the day. The atmosphere of the hostel allows people to socialize if they wanted to. Chatting with co-travelers was easy.
The residence is within walking distance from a bus stop and Chulia Street.
The staff and owner are commendable as they did everything to ensure that my friend and I had a comfortable stay in Magpie Residence after spending our days going around Penang. If I were to come back to Penang, I would definitely choose to stay in this place again. :)

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank JBarbra
Reviewed 7 July 2018

My friend and I booked beds in the 8-Cubed Mixed Dorm for 4 days and had a really great stay at Magpie Residence. The staff are really helpful and friendly, and the breakfast is amazing! Facilities are great and the entire hostel is really clean. I loved how the location is close to bus stops, food places, and shops, but tucked in a quiet corner away from the busy streets and party places. It's going to be my home away from home the next time I go back to Penang!

Room Tip: The 8-Cubed Dorm is great for solo travelers!
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank JoyCelineA3
Reviewed 27 June 2018

I booked a Classic Queen Room inclusive of set breakfast for 1 night stay.

Although I am not familiar with Penang, but Waze did a good job in bringing me to the hotel. When you have arrived, please take note that there is a private car park in front of Magpie Residence but it doesn't belong to this hotel, instead it belongs to another hotel called Museum Hotel. Anyway, hotel guests can still park their carks on the roadside in front of the hotel, free of charge. But since the space is limited, if you are driving, you better come earlier.

Upon check-in, deposit was not required. The receptionist was very friendly. After checking-in, she showed me all the way to my room. I was given a room at the 3rd floor (room #3-A). The room was clean. It has two windows, if you stay in this room, you can see the outside of the hotel through one window (but blocked by another building) and the outside of the room (but still within the hotel) through another one. The mattress and pillows were soft and comfortable to sleep. I like the idea of having a fan in an air-Cond room because by turning on the fan, the room becomes cooling very fast. After staying in so many hotels, this is the first one that gave me the feeling of home. Thumbs up for the hotel!

There is no TV in the room as it is only available at the common area. Without TV, I had got nothing to do in the room at night :( Luckily, the Wi-Fi speed was fast enough, so I spent my whole night watching YouTube videos. So, I guess the owner of the hotel may consider putting a TV in each room. Another thing to be taken into consideration is to improve the sound proof system of the rooms as it was not really sound proof. The sound of other guests closing their doors can be heard clearly. It becomes worse when it rains, as noise from outside of the room was very loud and very disturbing.

The room was not provided with drinking water in bottles but two water dispensers are available in the hotel. I made some coffee during my stay :) Some basic amenities provided by the hotel include kettle, clothes iron, hair dryer, and some clothes hangers. As for the bathroom, although it is small, it was clean. Two towels were provided but I didn't use them. So, I have no idea whether they are clean or smelled good.

Upon check-in, I was given two breakfast vouchers because the room that I booked is for two persons. So, I asked for two sets of breakfast and they gave me two sets. this impressed me a lot. Based on my past experience staying in other hotels, if the hotels are offering breakfast in set (but not buffet breakfast), even if I paid for a room for two persons with sets of breakfast, they gave only one voucher. The breakfast the hotel served was "egg sandwich with mash potato", simple and yet delicious. The owner was so nice that he even prepared the second set of sandwich for me to be taken away, as he was afraid that I couldn't finish two sets at one time. I really enjoyed my breakfast, thank you, Magpie!

In overall, I'm very satisfied with the service and room provided by the hotel. Therefore, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business