All reviews magpie free washing my home away from home quiet road free breakfast curtain for privacy person dorm queen room bicycle rental family room quiet area staying nights instant coffee minute walk toilet door great place to stay walking distance
Reviewed 7 August 2018

I was kind of doubt when i first arrived at the entrance - i was thinking whether i made the right decision to book the residence. And yes i was right.
1. The staff (Stone and one Filipino lady) are very welcoming and they always take care of us
2. Great location - it's only several kilometers away from main attractions, restaurants, shopping malls. Grab and taxi are just a wave away
3. Tight security - the main door will be closed at 10 pm but you will be provided with a card to enter
4. Spacious and clean room (exceeded my expectation) - i booked a family room since i traveled in 4. The room is comfortable enough for 4 adults with 2 queen beds, a small living area with sofa and TV and good shower. Totally worth the value and in fact exceeded my expectation of a boutique hotel

If you are travelling with limited or tight budget but would like to sleep comfortably, this is the place that you are looking for.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank azielarashid
Reviewed 3 August 2018 via mobile

What can I say that hasn't been said before. All the positive comments are totally accurate. Double and twin rooms booked. Spotlessly clean, great breakfasts, helpful staff, easy walk into town. Try it.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2018

The hostel itself was great - comfy beds, spacious rooms, good showers, helpful staff... but it was just a bit lonely. I didn't really meet any other travellers in my 5 days staying there. I moved elsewhere and met lots of people which was fun, it's just a shame this place fell short in that area because it is really nice! If they had a social area it would allow for more mingling between guests which would be better.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed at Magpie for 3 nights during our trip to Malaysia and it was perfect in every way. The location is great- so close to lively and thriving streets but on a quiet road itself.

We booked a queen room. Our room was clean and spacious. In addition to towels and bed linen we were provided with toiletries, tea/coffee facilities and a hairdryer. The aircon and fan worked and were silent, meaning that we got a great night’s sleep every evening.

We stayed over the weekend so breakfast on the first morning was sausage and egg on toast, then cheese and ham toastie and then a full English breakfast. The portions were not at all skimpy and everything tasted great.

What we really liked about Magpie was how helpful the people running it were. On one morning we were going to be leaving for a tour really early (before breakfast)- when we explained this, we were kindly given bread and jams for the next morning so we didn’t go hungry. We were also able to have our onward flight tickets printed off for us which saved us a lot of faff.

Our stay here was just what we needed after a couple of stays in dodgy hostels. I couldn’t recommend this place highly enough.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca K
Reviewed 12 July 2018

I appreciate that the 8-cube provides enough privacy to each occupant even if the setup is comparable to that of a dormitory. Each cube has its own overhead light, mini electric fan and USB outlets (no need to lug around a universal adaptor here). Fast wifi connection is available. I appreciate that the shared bathroom and comfort rooms are regularly cleaned (little to none "hair monsters" clogging the drain, which is common in public bathrooms). Clean towels are provided.
Drinking water is available. Breakfast is served daily, with the menu changing daily, and is filling enough to get you started for your adventures for the day. The atmosphere of the hostel allows people to socialize if they wanted to. Chatting with co-travelers was easy.
The residence is within walking distance from a bus stop and Chulia Street.
The staff and owner are commendable as they did everything to ensure that my friend and I had a comfortable stay in Magpie Residence after spending our days going around Penang. If I were to come back to Penang, I would definitely choose to stay in this place again. :)

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends