“Best way to engage the locals”

Penang Photography Walks With David Hagerman
Ranked #7 of 19 Tours in George Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Private photo outings w/an American travel/food/street photographer who has shot for publications incl NY Times, WSJ, Saveur and SBS Feast, and who leads photo workshops in Asia+Turkey. I've lived in Malaysia for 10 yrs, Penang for 4+. I'll personalize a workshop to your goals and show you the Penang most tourists don't see.
Reviewed 29 January 2016

David is a delight to work with. He understood my ability level and designed the tour to meet it. He has a real understanding of light and knows some of the best spots for shooting. We covered a lot of ground in three hours. Since the tour, I've seen an improvement in my approach to environmental portraiture.

1  Thank Henry V
dhr741, Owner at Penang Photography Walks With David Hagerman, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2016

Hey Henry, thanks so much! It was a pleasure meeting you and hope to see you again, in Penang or elsewhere, soon. Happy travels, Dave

Reviewed 11 November 2015

I knew about David from his vivid food and landscape photographs that captured the spirit and essence of a place and so, when I found out he organised photography walks in Penang, it was an opportunity not to be missed. I was going to Penang solely for the photography session so he organised everything for me - he arranged for a driver to pick me up from the airport, gave me directions to his studio, recommended places to stay. The actual session itself was excellent - structured as a walk around the local areas including the Chow Rasta market, Sri Mahariamman Temple and Kapitan Keling mosque, highlighting photo ops and angles I would never have noticed on my own like shapes, textures, body positioning, situations that one should anticipate in preparation for a shot, helping me understand the settings on my camera, working with issues I highlighted to him about my own photographs. The bonuses that made this so much more than just a class were the chance to try local dishes from some of the best Penang hawkers, many of whom he personally knew, to interact with the fishermen off Teluk Bahang right after they had returned with their catch and were sorting them out and to develop a relationship with human subjects in the Pulau Tikus market. I learned so much in 2 sessions with him than I have in years of reading photography how-to's and at the same time, discovered a side of Penang I had never known existed before this. I would definitely go back for more sessions in Penang and can't wait to get on one of his longer (week-long) and further (out of Penang) sessions.

1  Thank Beagletwins

Thanks so much! Looking forward to seeing you in Penang again soon.
Dave

Reviewed 2 August 2015

I've seen Penang with David on 3 occasions to date:
1) walking tours of historic Georgetown
2) going into the heart and soul of the gory Thaipusam festival
3) checking out unseen parts of Penang, including seeing the fishermen bringing their catch in, quaint towns stuck in a time warp and even a coffee roasting factory

I've been on a number of photography courses, but nothing compares with the individualised teaching I get with David. Add in the unique sights and sounds of Penang, plus his in-depth knowledge of the best places to eat the food Penang is so well known for, it adds up to the experience of a lifetime. Even my daughter who was just a tag along in the last trip enjoyed the experience and was motivated to relook at photography as a hobby.

4  Thank cjccheng

Thank you! I've enjoyed following your progress and am looking forward to our next photography session this summer. Cheers, Dave