“Mentored by the best” 5 of 5 bubbles

Penang Photography Walks With David Hagerman
Ranked #7 of 19 Tours in George Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Private photo outings w/an American travel/food/street photographer who has shot for publications incl NY Times, WSJ, Saveur and SBS Feast, and who leads photo workshops in Asia+Turkey. I've lived in Malaysia for 10 yrs, Penang for 4+. I'll personalize a workshop to your goals and show you the Penang most tourists don't see.
iloilo
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Mentored by the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2016

I've been a fan of David Hagerman's photography, esp. on food and culture. To catch him in Penang was such a great opportunity that i enrolled in his photowalk/workshop. Verdict? i've never had such a profound kind of learning in years. D. Hagerman is not just a great photographer but also a great teacher, the one that draws out the best in his students. My understanding of camera operations and composition was clarified , deepened and applied to real scenes in less than half a day. It was not the spoon-feeding type. It was actually like having a friend take you around Georgetown to see some really nice spots and encourage you to paint a story of that scene using the camera. He filled you in on tips and techniques as you went along. When we reviewed the shots, It was kind of surreal to see my output. Later that afternoon, i went on a solo photowalk around Georgetown to apply what i learned from the workshop. A couple of days after, i emailed to Dave some select shots for critique; He was quick to respond with his honest feedback. I am encouraged to better myself in this avocation.

Visited August 2016

“Walking Photo Shoots”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

I had two most enjoyable learning photo shoots with David in George Town and at a fishing village and at a small town in Penang. David knows the best locations and was very willing and patient to assist me take some great shots. David is a true professional and has the ability to pass on his knowledge based on my level as a photographer. It was a fun experience and I enjoyed Dave's company in doing so.

Visited July 2016
1 Thank Robert G
Reading, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“A fantastic experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2016

My wife booked a photography tour with David as a surprise for me. I was little nervous to go shooting with someone who has had so much published and commissioned work when I just about know which way to point the camera.

David was great at understanding my level of experience and tailored the walk according to what I requested practise and tuition in. He knew all the best spots and many of the locals, gave me an insight to the photographers etiquette, helped position me and gave me advice on settings and techniques.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 3hr walk around the city of Penang and the local markets, but I particularly appreciated the time David took after the course to have a quick play on Lightroom and show me some editing shortcuts that really bought out the best in some of my photos. My wife, a non photographer, was more than welcome to join us on the walk and David was able to amuse her with stories and history of the city whilst I tried in vain to grab a worthy shot of street vendors.

I highly recommend David. Whether you want to get the most out of a short stay in Penang, you want to learn more about how your camera works or improve your own ability.

Visited May 2016
1 Thank Mark W
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best way to engage the locals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2016

David is a delight to work with. He understood my ability level and designed the tour to meet it. He has a real understanding of light and knows some of the best spots for shooting. We covered a lot of ground in three hours. Since the tour, I've seen an improvement in my approach to environmental portraiture.

Visited January 2016
1 Thank Henry V
dhr741, Owner at Penang Photography Walks With David Hagerman, responded to this review, 17 May 2016
Hey Henry, thanks so much! It was a pleasure meeting you and hope to see you again, in Penang or elsewhere, soon. Happy travels, Dave
Hong Kong, China
“Photography Walk”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2015

I knew about David from his vivid food and landscape photographs that captured the spirit and essence of a place and so, when I found out he organised photography walks in Penang, it was an opportunity not to be missed. I was going to Penang solely for the photography session so he organised everything for me - he arranged for a driver to pick me up from the airport, gave me directions to his studio, recommended places to stay. The actual session itself was excellent - structured as a walk around the local areas including the Chow Rasta market, Sri Mahariamman Temple and Kapitan Keling mosque, highlighting photo ops and angles I would never have noticed on my own like shapes, textures, body positioning, situations that one should anticipate in preparation for a shot, helping me understand the settings on my camera, working with issues I highlighted to him about my own photographs. The bonuses that made this so much more than just a class were the chance to try local dishes from some of the best Penang hawkers, many of whom he personally knew, to interact with the fishermen off Teluk Bahang right after they had returned with their catch and were sorting them out and to develop a relationship with human subjects in the Pulau Tikus market. I learned so much in 2 sessions with him than I have in years of reading photography how-to's and at the same time, discovered a side of Penang I had never known existed before this. I would definitely go back for more sessions in Penang and can't wait to get on one of his longer (week-long) and further (out of Penang) sessions.

Visited December 2014
1 Thank Beagletwins
Thanks so much! Looking forward to seeing you in Penang again soon.
Dave