“Sights and food of Penang captured through a lens” 5 of 5 bubbles

Penang Photography Walks With David Hagerman
Ranked #7 of 19 Tours in George Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Private photo outings w/an American travel/food/street photographer who has shot for publications incl NY Times, WSJ, Saveur and SBS Feast, and who leads photo workshops in Asia+Turkey. I've lived in Malaysia for 10 yrs, Penang for 4+. I'll personalize a workshop to your goals and show you the Penang most tourists don't see.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Sights and food of Penang captured through a lens”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2016

A fantastic tour through the streets of George Town, all the while learning more on the skill of photography. David is passionate and knowledgeable in the art of photography, as well as the sights and smells of Penang. A wonderful tour as well as photography lesson. Very much a novice, in 3.5 hours David took me away from auto mode and had me confidently using the manual mode - with some wonderful results. He is obviously well liked by those he has daily dealings with, making the tour more enjoyable and insightful, with a behind the scenes aspect. A patience, encouraging teacher, and skilled photographer, a tour with David is a must for foodie photographers visiting Penang.

1 Thank Tania B

Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Skilled photographer ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

My son and I did the Photography tour with Dave. We found him insightful, patient and passed on valuable knowledge about techniques. I learnt that techniques can make a significant difference to a photo. I would highly recommend Dave.

1 Thank NuriGeorge
iloilo
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Mentored by the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2016

I've been a fan of David Hagerman's photography, esp. on food and culture. To catch him in Penang was such a great opportunity that i enrolled in his photowalk/workshop. Verdict? i've never had such a profound kind of learning in years. D. Hagerman is not just a great photographer but also a great teacher, the one that draws out the best in his students. My understanding of camera operations and composition was clarified , deepened and applied to real scenes in less than half a day. It was not the spoon-feeding type. It was actually like having a friend take you around Georgetown to see some really nice spots and encourage you to paint a story of that scene using the camera. He filled you in on tips and techniques as you went along. When we reviewed the shots, It was kind of surreal to see my output. Later that afternoon, i went on a solo photowalk around Georgetown to apply what i learned from the workshop. A couple of days after, i emailed to Dave some select shots for critique; He was quick to respond with his honest feedback. I am encouraged to better myself in this avocation.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Walking Photo Shoots”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

I had two most enjoyable learning photo shoots with David in George Town and at a fishing village and at a small town in Penang. David knows the best locations and was very willing and patient to assist me take some great shots. David is a true professional and has the ability to pass on his knowledge based on my level as a photographer. It was a fun experience and I enjoyed Dave's company in doing so.

Visited July 2016
1 Thank Robert G
Reading, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A fantastic experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2016

My wife booked a photography tour with David as a surprise for me. I was little nervous to go shooting with someone who has had so much published and commissioned work when I just about know which way to point the camera.

David was great at understanding my level of experience and tailored the walk according to what I requested practise and tuition in. He knew all the best spots and many of the locals, gave me an insight to the photographers etiquette, helped position me and gave me advice on settings and techniques.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 3hr walk around the city of Penang and the local markets, but I particularly appreciated the time David took after the course to have a quick play on Lightroom and show me some editing shortcuts that really bought out the best in some of my photos. My wife, a non photographer, was more than welcome to join us on the walk and David was able to amuse her with stories and history of the city whilst I tried in vain to grab a worthy shot of street vendors.

I highly recommend David. Whether you want to get the most out of a short stay in Penang, you want to learn more about how your camera works or improve your own ability.

Visited May 2016