“Focus on Penang”

Penang Photography Walks With David Hagerman
Ranked #7 of 19 Tours in George Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Private photo outings w/an American travel/food/street photographer who has shot for publications incl NY Times, WSJ, Saveur and SBS Feast, and who leads photo workshops in Asia+Turkey. I've lived in Malaysia for 10 yrs, Penang for 4+. I'll personalize a workshop to your goals and show you the Penang most tourists don't see.
Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

I have been following Dave on Instagram for a while and am absolutely fascinated by those street-life scenes that he manages to capture with that particular light and the story that he manages to convey with each image. I was so excited about coming to Georgetown for a short holiday and thought that a morning walk with Dave would be just perfect, and in fact it really was. David is a great guy, the way he explains his little "tricks" is fun, easy to grasp, and instructive,too. Me and my husband spent almost 4 hours with Dave, between mosques, temples, markets, food stalls and other hidden corners that he seems to know as well as his pockets! I loved it, it was great finally seeing how those breakfast project photos take place. Photography knowledge, or the lack of it, is really not an issue, as Dave passes the bits of information so effortlessly and he really manages to involve you in such a spontaneous way. Absolutely recommended!

Reviewed 15 August 2016

A fantastic tour through the streets of George Town, all the while learning more on the skill of photography. David is passionate and knowledgeable in the art of photography, as well as the sights and smells of Penang. A wonderful tour as well as photography lesson. Very much a novice, in 3.5 hours David took me away from auto mode and had me confidently using the manual mode - with some wonderful results. He is obviously well liked by those he has daily dealings with, making the tour more enjoyable and insightful, with a behind the scenes aspect. A patience, encouraging teacher, and skilled photographer, a tour with David is a must for foodie photographers visiting Penang.

1  Thank Tania B
Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

My son and I did the Photography tour with Dave. We found him insightful, patient and passed on valuable knowledge about techniques. I learnt that techniques can make a significant difference to a photo. I would highly recommend Dave.

1  Thank NuriGeorge
Reviewed 7 August 2016

I've been a fan of David Hagerman's photography, esp. on food and culture. To catch him in Penang was such a great opportunity that i enrolled in his photowalk/workshop. Verdict? i've never had such a profound kind of learning in years. D. Hagerman is not just a great photographer but also a great teacher, the one that draws out the best in his students. My understanding of camera operations and composition was clarified , deepened and applied to real scenes in less than half a day. It was not the spoon-feeding type. It was actually like having a friend take you around Georgetown to see some really nice spots and encourage you to paint a story of that scene using the camera. He filled you in on tips and techniques as you went along. When we reviewed the shots, It was kind of surreal to see my output. Later that afternoon, i went on a solo photowalk around Georgetown to apply what i learned from the workshop. A couple of days after, i emailed to Dave some select shots for critique; He was quick to respond with his honest feedback. I am encouraged to better myself in this avocation.

Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

I had two most enjoyable learning photo shoots with David in George Town and at a fishing village and at a small town in Penang. David knows the best locations and was very willing and patient to assist me take some great shots. David is a true professional and has the ability to pass on his knowledge based on my level as a photographer. It was a fun experience and I enjoyed Dave's company in doing so.

1  Thank Robert G