“Great Photo Walk around Penang with Expert Tips” 5 of 5 bubbles

Penang Photography Walks With David Hagerman
Ranked #7 of 19 Tours in George Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Private photo outings w/an American travel/food/street photographer who has shot for publications incl NY Times, WSJ, Saveur and SBS Feast, and who leads photo workshops in Asia+Turkey. I've lived in Malaysia for 10 yrs, Penang for 4+. I'll personalize a workshop to your goals and show you the Penang most tourists don't see.
Melbourne, Australia
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Great Photo Walk around Penang with Expert Tips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2016

I took a photo walk with Dave on 26/12/16 and had a great time. The tour started with a brief discussion of where I was at with photography, which I assume helped Dave to pitch the content over the next few hours. We covered a lot of ground - in camera composition, scene setting, use of light in different situations, different techniques to capture unique points of view, how your placement can turn an ordinary scene into a breathtaking image, framing of shots, and more. I really did get a LOT out of these few hours that I think I will take with me as I learn more and more in the future. This tour is a really good, worthy investment into your skills as a photographer.

On top of this, Dave was an easygoing, patient, good natured guide. As a local he could give a really unique insight into the city, particularly the street food for which it is so famous. You will visit a few places you wouldn't otherwise go to and get some unique photo opportunities to come home with a some shots to really wow your friends.

This tour ended with a review of my photos on a laptop, and some constructive criticism of the good and bad points.

I had a great time, I was inspired to get out there and practice some of his tips in the days following, including getting up before sunrise on our last day in the city to shoot!!

Highly recommended!

Visited December 2016
1 Thank Luke D

“Focus on Penang”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

I have been following Dave on Instagram for a while and am absolutely fascinated by those street-life scenes that he manages to capture with that particular light and the story that he manages to convey with each image. I was so excited about coming to Georgetown for a short holiday and thought that a morning walk with Dave would be just perfect, and in fact it really was. David is a great guy, the way he explains his little "tricks" is fun, easy to grasp, and instructive,too. Me and my husband spent almost 4 hours with Dave, between mosques, temples, markets, food stalls and other hidden corners that he seems to know as well as his pockets! I loved it, it was great finally seeing how those breakfast project photos take place. Photography knowledge, or the lack of it, is really not an issue, as Dave passes the bits of information so effortlessly and he really manages to involve you in such a spontaneous way. Absolutely recommended!

Visited December 2016
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Sights and food of Penang captured through a lens”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2016

A fantastic tour through the streets of George Town, all the while learning more on the skill of photography. David is passionate and knowledgeable in the art of photography, as well as the sights and smells of Penang. A wonderful tour as well as photography lesson. Very much a novice, in 3.5 hours David took me away from auto mode and had me confidently using the manual mode - with some wonderful results. He is obviously well liked by those he has daily dealings with, making the tour more enjoyable and insightful, with a behind the scenes aspect. A patience, encouraging teacher, and skilled photographer, a tour with David is a must for foodie photographers visiting Penang.

1 Thank Tania B
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Skilled photographer ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

My son and I did the Photography tour with Dave. We found him insightful, patient and passed on valuable knowledge about techniques. I learnt that techniques can make a significant difference to a photo. I would highly recommend Dave.

1 Thank NuriGeorge
iloilo
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Mentored by the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2016

I've been a fan of David Hagerman's photography, esp. on food and culture. To catch him in Penang was such a great opportunity that i enrolled in his photowalk/workshop. Verdict? i've never had such a profound kind of learning in years. D. Hagerman is not just a great photographer but also a great teacher, the one that draws out the best in his students. My understanding of camera operations and composition was clarified , deepened and applied to real scenes in less than half a day. It was not the spoon-feeding type. It was actually like having a friend take you around Georgetown to see some really nice spots and encourage you to paint a story of that scene using the camera. He filled you in on tips and techniques as you went along. When we reviewed the shots, It was kind of surreal to see my output. Later that afternoon, i went on a solo photowalk around Georgetown to apply what i learned from the workshop. A couple of days after, i emailed to Dave some select shots for critique; He was quick to respond with his honest feedback. I am encouraged to better myself in this avocation.