“Informative, inspiring, great for photo and foodie enthusiasts”

Penang Photography Walks With David Hagerman
Ranked #7 of 19 Tours in George Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Private photo outings w/an American travel/food/street photographer who has shot for publications incl NY Times, WSJ, Saveur and SBS Feast, and who leads photo workshops in Asia+Turkey. I've lived in Malaysia for 10 yrs, Penang for 4+. I'll personalize a workshop to your goals and show you the Penang most tourists don't see.
Reviewed 3 January 2017

I received this experience as a wedding gift from my friends! After years of creepily commenting on Dave's instagram account and following him and his wife's blog, I finally met him at 7.15am on 12/17/16 at Campbell St Market. Dave is a non-didactic and encouraging teacher who taught me all the photography basics -- including how to finally use manual mode on my camera and VSCO cam on my iPhone. You're free to use any camera you're comfortable with but I managed to use both in the end. We went through framing, lighting, exposures, and most of all -- how to patiently wait for action shots. That, I think, may have been the most difficult for me given how impatient I am. What a wonderful lesson! We started off at Campbell st market, then wandered around George Town to the mosque, Guan Hin temple, various food stalls around the area and watched people live out their daily lives in the morning. It was Penang from a whole other angle (given that my family is from Penang) that I really appreciated. I even had fish guts on me at one point when I was taking pictures of a fishmonger uncle-- all in the name of art! I would encourage you to reach out to Dave to arrange a photo walk if you are a food AND photo enthusiast of any level. Be sure to bring lots of water and a hat -- it's Penang; you will sweat.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
2  Thank Annabel T

Reviewed 29 December 2016

I took a photo walk with Dave on 26/12/16 and had a great time. The tour started with a brief discussion of where I was at with photography, which I assume helped Dave to pitch the content over the next few hours. We covered a lot of ground - in camera composition, scene setting, use of light in different situations, different techniques to capture unique points of view, how your placement can turn an ordinary scene into a breathtaking image, framing of shots, and more. I really did get a LOT out of these few hours that I think I will take with me as I learn more and more in the future. This tour is a really good, worthy investment into your skills as a photographer.

On top of this, Dave was an easygoing, patient, good natured guide. As a local he could give a really unique insight into the city, particularly the street food for which it is so famous. You will visit a few places you wouldn't otherwise go to and get some unique photo opportunities to come home with a some shots to really wow your friends.

This tour ended with a review of my photos on a laptop, and some constructive criticism of the good and bad points.

I had a great time, I was inspired to get out there and practice some of his tips in the days following, including getting up before sunrise on our last day in the city to shoot!!

Highly recommended!

1  Thank Luke D
Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

I have been following Dave on Instagram for a while and am absolutely fascinated by those street-life scenes that he manages to capture with that particular light and the story that he manages to convey with each image. I was so excited about coming to Georgetown for a short holiday and thought that a morning walk with Dave would be just perfect, and in fact it really was. David is a great guy, the way he explains his little "tricks" is fun, easy to grasp, and instructive,too. Me and my husband spent almost 4 hours with Dave, between mosques, temples, markets, food stalls and other hidden corners that he seems to know as well as his pockets! I loved it, it was great finally seeing how those breakfast project photos take place. Photography knowledge, or the lack of it, is really not an issue, as Dave passes the bits of information so effortlessly and he really manages to involve you in such a spontaneous way. Absolutely recommended!

Reviewed 15 August 2016

A fantastic tour through the streets of George Town, all the while learning more on the skill of photography. David is passionate and knowledgeable in the art of photography, as well as the sights and smells of Penang. A wonderful tour as well as photography lesson. Very much a novice, in 3.5 hours David took me away from auto mode and had me confidently using the manual mode - with some wonderful results. He is obviously well liked by those he has daily dealings with, making the tour more enjoyable and insightful, with a behind the scenes aspect. A patience, encouraging teacher, and skilled photographer, a tour with David is a must for foodie photographers visiting Penang.

1  Thank Tania B
Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

My son and I did the Photography tour with Dave. We found him insightful, patient and passed on valuable knowledge about techniques. I learnt that techniques can make a significant difference to a photo. I would highly recommend Dave.

1  Thank NuriGeorge