“Slightly over priced!”

The Chambers Restaurant
Ranked #350 of 1,067 Restaurants in George Town
Reviewed 22 April 2018

We tried this place on the first night of our stay there. The food was not bad but felt it was over priced. The menu did not have too many options either. Liked the ambience though!

Reviewed 7 February 2018

Reading other reviews I sometimes wonder if those who write them have been to a different place to me! The Chambers is centrally located on the top floor of the Chamber of Commerce and has the advantage of a lift. Joseph the co-ower/manager is attentive and charming and the staff couldn't have been better. The food was excellent - lamb shank burger recommended! The wide balcony is a great place to have a drink (and a smoke if that's your choice) and overlooks the Esplanade. If you have a party in mind take a look at the top terrace which has a BBQ. All in all I very much liked this restaurant and will definitely go again.

Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

To Martin S, thank you for your review. As the Chef of this restaurant.. I have to apologise to you for your bad experience on the temperature of the food served to you.. if I am not wrong that was a Charity Thanksgiving Lunch. It was a charity lunch organised by Joy Luck Club Penang and The Chambers Restaurant.. to be very franked with you.. we are doing many charitable work all this years.. and this was the very first time we have so many nationalities came and participated this meaningful event.. where we have to serve the lunch you had in less than 1.5 hours. On top of that we needed to serve and carved the 8 turkeys within 10 minutes by all the kitchen staff and myself.. of course we did that on time but before that was done.. we have already served every table the sides ( potatoes, salad, stuffings and sauces ) which I think most of the 80 people didn't touch till we finished distribute all the turkey meat individually. Martin, that thanksgiving lunch we did that day.. our restaurant just covered the food cost and staff's salary.. the rest of the sales revenue was going to the CHARITY.. if the food you had was not warm enough, we are more than happy to heat them up for you.. and I guessed my staff did that.. Anyway, I would like to thank you for the donation and participation because the less fortunate people who got your donations were very very happy.

To Dubaijournal, thanks for your review. I would love to know the dishes you ordered that disappointed you so badly, so that We will see what we can do to improve in the future. Based on the date of your review, I am quite sure you came for the talk two days prior to this review. If yes.. the gentleman who organised this event is a good new friend on mine. We have planned this cocktail + Talk + dinner a month ago.. the cocktail consists of canapés and bruschetta of course wine or beer or soft drinks.. dinner was not confirmed on the headcount till the talk was done.. to cook and served 25 people without confirmation I think you may understand that you need to wait a little while for your food.. we served either a vegetarian spaghetti aglio olio or a local rice dish that night.. I am sorry if we didn't get the western flavour right for the aglio olio where the ingredients are only olive oil, garlic sliced, chilli flakes, asparagus, mushrooms, salt & pepper... and it's the best selling pasta here.. if you are not referring to this dinner.. we are always accept feedback with an open heart. Or you can tell us your date visited with receipt is the best. Thank you!

1  Thank Joseph O
Reviewed 18 January 2018

I had heard several people talk about this restaurant. It is located on the second floor in the building next to the Chinese Chamber of Commerce. Enter by the lift, not the door that looks like the entrance and bears its name!

The nice thing about this small restaurant is that it has a balcony and can take small groups. The bad thing about it is everything to do with the quality and temperature of the food and the inordinate slowness of service.

I think small Chinese restaurants need to stick to what they know best because very few of them can duplicate Western food well. They just don't understand the flavours and how they work together!

The entire meal experience went from bad to terrible - from the order taking to delivery. I will never return unless it's for drinks only and on the balcony.

Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

A catalogue of failures. Cold food and really bad presentation. I would not visit again. One of the worst meals I have had in a very long time.