“Very eager to try this place out but it was a disappointment.”
Review of Kampung Nelayan

Kampung Nelayan
Ranked #120 of 722 Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Chinese, Malaysian, Seafood
Good for: Groups, View
Dining options: Reservations
Description: In the year 1988, we first opened doors as Jaws Seafood Restaurant located on the 4th Floor of Gaya Centre. We served a fusion of Thai/Chinese Seafood Cuisine as well as Dim Sum. The restaurant also hosted banquet events up to 45 tables on a regular basis and soon earned a reputation purely by word of mouth. In 1997, we had a Vision to provide every Dear Guest with our slogan "Where very meal is an Experience". We decided to relocate and rebrand to something BIGGER and BETTER. Every aspect was painstakingly thought of from the Minangkabau -style architecture 'floating' on the lake in a botanical park, the 'floating' performance stage, the naming of the buildings, and to the menu creation. Hence the birth of Kampung Nelayan Floating Seafood Market Restaurant. Currently, we are the ONLY restaurant in Kota Kinabalu to present a NIGHTLY Cultural Dance Performance from 7.45Pm to 8.45Pm showcasing the Largest Indigenous Ethnic Groups in Sabah. Guests are encouraged to get up on stage to participate in some of the dances. We have also achieved a reputation of being one of the Most Unique Dining Experiences in Kota Kinabalu.
Reviewed 10 April 2017

Very eager to try this place out but it was a disappointment. Despite the good reviews, we felt this was not worth it.
The prawn they served is not fresh despite having an aquarium. I guess they just make us think it is fresh but actually the prawn is not from the aquarium. What marketing!
The steamed fish is OK but the sauce/gravy that it was served in is poor - just plain soya sauce with little to no spice. Some places have onions, chilli, ginger that adds to the aroma and flavour of the dish.
For 10 pax, it costs us about RM800 - which is expensive, considering that the food is low quality.
Nothing to rave about.
Will NOT visit again.

Date of visit: March 2017
2  Thank Azam Y

Reviewed 21 February 2017 via mobile

Had a joyous family dinner, whole family was enjoying the foods and the traditional dances that are amusing and fun

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 9 January 2017 via mobile

This is my second time eating here, and absolutely love the food! It's a eat all you can steamboat buffet but you have to pay RM$30 if I'm not mistaken, per gram if you don't finish your food(apologize if I have given the wrong info). They also have performances of their cultural dance every few minutes. It only opened at 6 pm. Really recommend people to dine in here!

Reviewed 25 December 2016 via mobile

I went here with my teacher for dinner and we ordered a few dishes and it came up to rm1750 like seriously !? I mean we could have eaten the same dishes in any other seafood restaurant but paid way below rm500 for that. The food was really bad too ! I didn't enjoy a single bit of it ...

I strongly suggest Welcome seafood

1  Thank Sabbitan B
Reviewed 24 December 2016 via mobile

I'm very disappointed ... I was recommended this place by a friend but it wasn't as great as expected. Food is very pricey ("tourist price") ... be especially prepared to pay extravagant prices for drinks (orange juice costs RM17!!!). Prices for food and drinks are not transparent especially in the menu. I don't think I'll be coming here again.

1  Thank Juliet75233