“Lovely boutique hotel, impeccable service”
Review of Hotel Eden54

Hotel Eden54
Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We stayed here for two nights, before and after climbing Mt Kinabalu. For the price we paid, I was expecting something fairly basic but was pleasantly surprised upon arrival - it is more like a small hotel than a budget guesthouse. The room was spotlessly clean with crisp white bed linen, plump pillows and decent towels, with a flat screen tv, bottled water and fresh flowers for that extra but of comfort. The first room we had was small with no window, but it was perfectly comfortable. Bathroom was imacculate, good water pressure and hot water. The second room we had was a king studio, with a window looking out onto Gaya Street that offered the same level of cleanliness but with good natural light. The perfect place to collapse after climbing the mountain!
Apart from the quality furnishings, professional appearance and attention to detail, the staff are definitely the stand-out feature of this hotel - Ling Ling, the Front Office Supervisor, was particularly welcoming and helpful, explaining how to get to Kinabalu park and arranging transport for us to the airport when we left. We were able to leave our backpacks at the hotel while we were away in Kinabalu Park, and returned a day later to find the bags already placed in our (different) room, for no extra charge.
The only reason I couldn't give them full marks was a complaint my boyfriend had about the admittedly noisy air filter in the first room - because there is no window, you have to keep it on during the night and if you are a light sleeper, this can be a bit of a problem. Otherwise, I would highly recommend this place for people looking to stay a few nights in Kinabalu for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Try to book a room with a window to avoid the noisy air filters in the windowless rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Globetripper86
There are newer reviews for Hotel Eden54

Reviewed 28 October 2012

I was traveling with two friends, so we opted to book the Queen + Single based on the photos that we saw. I was a little disappointed in the room, as it was much smaller than the photo indicated. I did happen to peak into other rooms with the same same Queen/Single configuration, and think we must have gotten the "small" version of that type of room. Overlooking this one detail, I enjoyed my stay at Eden54. It's a blend of hotel and hostel, with a common area that houses a fridge, microwave and toaster oven, so you can make your own breakfast. The hotel staff were friendly, and made outstanding recommendations for both food and activities.

The location is further north than other accommodations, but still close enough to restaurants and the markets that it wasn't a concern. On the plus side, it was very close to the Ferry port, so we could quickly hit up the boats to the outlying islands to do some snorkeling and relaxing on the beach.

Sadly, my last night was marred by a construction crew working in the alley right outside my window the entire night, something out of the control of the Eden54 staff.

Overall, I would recommend Eden54 to friends and family who are looking for a quick Kota Kinabalu getaway.

Room Tip: If asking for the Queen+Single, make sure you get the one with the attached door to the room next do...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank longhorn513
Reviewed 26 October 2012 via mobile

For the amount we paid for our room I was very happy.

The staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Drew on a map where all of the best places to eat were and they were spot on. One day I asked how I could get to the downbelow dive shop, they told me not to bother walking and helped me book over the phone. Wonderful of them.

The room was very clean. There were signs up about renovations but I didn't hear any noise at all.

It is very close to a large shopping centre and every tour operator and taxi driver knows where it is. We had a great stay and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank TimboAu
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Have been traveling across Asia in the past 3 years, covering 15 nations and 48 cities, I think I'm qualify to be a pretty good judge on Hostels/BnBs.
I have the chance to travel through 4 different parts of Malaysia in 4 different occasions in the past 3 years, and let me put it this way, accommodation in this country is generally behind other places in the same price range, regardless if it is recommended by TripAdvisor or not.

Location:

Great, it really is. Walking distance to anything you'd need within downtown Kota Kinabalu. Just merely 5 mins walk from the Jetty to the Islands, supermarket just around the corner, restaurant everywhere. This is exactly what you'd call a downtown hotel.

Security:

There is one security guard on duty at night while the reception is close for the day. And he is also responsible for checking-in late arriving guest. I wouldn't say the security is bad, but the general security level in Kota Kinabalu is not great neither, a lot better than Kuala Lumpur for sure. Just exercise basic precaution and you should be fine.

Services:

Hmm... a mix of good and bad. The late night security staff was very nice and response to request promptly. But no matter how efficient the guard was, he's still a lone soul and may overlook customer needs sometime. The other thing is that the hotel is located on the 2nd floor without elevator, meaning that you'll have to carry your luggage up the stairs, not really that big of a deal tho.

Dinning and Facilities:

1) No Dinning.
2) WIFI in room but very inconsistent signal and slow at times
3) one computer with printer at the lobby, it cost RM0.5 per page for B/W.

Services:

Good, not great. You don't get the home away from home feel that you'd usually get in B&B's in places like Laos and Vietnam. It sure did a fantastic job in pointing out the great attractions and help arranging local tours. But it all felt very transactional with little human interaction involved.I can't really explain the feeling in words.

Rooms and Sleep Quality:

Rooms were okay, a bit small for 2 person. Beds are okay, not extremely comfy neither. Windows without a view, and it cannot be opened. The lack of fridge in the room is annoying, there is however a public fridge at the hallway for everyone to use, someone stole my root beer one night! Hot water was also inconsistent, if you're planning on having a hot shower: good luck.

For the price I'm paying, I'm not expecting much, so I guess this is acceptable.

Will I recommend it? Yes or No.

You can have yourself sleeping in Shangri-la for about USD64/night with all the facilities like Pool and Gym and free airport transportation included or you can have yourself staying at some Island resort away from the city at a lower price, I really don't see the point of staying here when it cost roughly USD39/nite here.

Is a great stay if you can't find a better deal.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Crossingtheglobe
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Gotta love Trip Advisor. Most of the time when I research and follow a review, it does not disappoint. This is surely an example where this is the case.
Wonderful location within walking distance of everything important, including a well stocked grocery store a few doors down. Very personalized attention, and detail oriented, just as helpful as they could be. We reserved for arrival and departure. They had our bags placed in our room when we returned from our 2 night stay out of town.
Small rooms, but tastefully furnished, extremely clean. You will not be disappointed if you stay here. Also very reasonable pricing and incredible follow up communication when you deal direct via email.

Room Tip: Get a room with a window and AC. Well worth the tiny bit extra for these amenities.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple