Batik Boutique Hotel
56 Hotel(Kuching)
US$34
US$28
Agoda.com
Basaga Holiday Residences(Kuching)(Great Value!)
US$29
US$20
Priceline
Abell Hotel(Kuching)
US$79
US$20
Priceline
Savings alert! 29% below average rates

The price you found is 29% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$28/night.

US$45
US$41
Agoda.com
All reviewsjo lynnfrench presssmall hotelday bedlocal rice winetop spotrain showerfriendly hotelbako national parkbooking tourshighly recommend this hotelrooms are spaciouschong chooncentral locationseafoodsarawak laksathe river
Reviewed 1 August 2016

We enjoyed our stay with Jackie and her team enormously. Standards of hospitality and cleanliness were excellent and we were impressed by the care the staff took to make sure our needs were met. The room was spacious, big enough to comfortably live in over a ten day period. The opportunity to participate in the Hari Raya celebrations at one staff member’s family home was truly appreciated.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2016

First, I want to be clear that - whatever my complaints below - I appreciate the staff's hospitality and efforts. They greeted me very politely, offered me a heavenly glass of 'tuak' (rice wine), didn't fuss when I asked for more eggs and completed both check-in and check-out procedures w/out hassle.

They are the only reason why this review isn't rated 1-star.

Now, having said that, sigh, this kind of hotel is proof that the star-rating system is messed up. Batik Boutique is 4-star which, 'officially' puts it at the same level as Jen Hotel, Novotel and many other top chains.

But that's ridiculous:

1 - the room lighting was horrific
2 - the aircon was erratic; it was a split unit which meant that it took hours for the entire room to be cooled and you had to 'aim' it properly wherever you were
3 - there is no carpet, tiles feel very hard
4 - despite having 100+ channels, I didn't want to watch any on the TV (which did NOT have 'basic' stuff like HBO, CNN, SuperSports, Disney, etc.)
5 - the area outside the rooom felt 'spooky' without any lighting
6 - the wifi was **very** weak (and instead of requiring everyone to check the room compendium for the password, why not just stick it on the wall somewhere?)
7 - there is no study table and I was checking emails next to the water-boiler
8 - the hair-conditioner bottle was open before I was in (I can put this down to house-keeping carelessness, but when I was already pissed thing like this simply don't help)
9 - breakfast wasn't free-flow (why **not** let your guests who paid RM200+ for the room eat all the eggs they want?)
10 - it was very difficult to tell that I've arrived at the hotel; my flight was a night one, so when the taxi dropped me i was having serious second thoughts because there was no lighted sign which confirmed this was the hotel. Cabbie had to walk up to the entrance and point at the (rather vague) name to me

So, to sum up, who would be the ideal guests for this place? I'm thinking it would be ppl who are a) NOT overly concerned with comfort and/or b) who didn't do a good comparison of prices and/or c) don't earn Malaysian ringgit and/or (in my case) d) couldn't find anywhere else to stay because it all other hotels were booked up.

Basically, this is a 'travel lodge' for which I wouldn't pay more than half the price. If this was ostentatiously a **budget** hotel, then yes, great value for money. Alas, though, it's not.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank alwynlau
Reviewed 8 July 2016

The Batik is a cosy, traveller friendly hotel for people who like to interact with the locals and wander outside the norm. I loved the friendly welcome and chats I had and the personal touch of seeing the weaving and being told of the rafting tour. A big hotel chain can't give you these types of experiences and I am so grateful for the information we were given.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jac478
Reviewed 7 July 2016

My husband, adult daughter and I were guests at this very welcoming centrally located hotel at the beginning and at the end of our 8 day trip to Sarawak. Breakfast is provided as well as helpful English speaking staff. We were able to store our suitcases while trekking and rafting in the interior.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank playmakerNyc
Reviewed 5 July 2016

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Batik Boutique – everything from the welcome drink and intro by Jackie to all the wonderful attention and care Farhah and her collegues gave us in helping us plan our various outings. I am so pleased that we made Batik our ‘home-base’ in Sarawak. The rooms are lovely and the hotel is centrally located, breakfast is great but what really stands out is the friendliness and assistance the staff provide on everything - helped me find taxis, guides, book excursions - all wonderful and I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple