“Welcoming with a good atmosphere!”

Batik Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 80 Kuching B&B and Inns
“Welcoming with a good atmosphere!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2016

This place gave us alreay a good feeling when we walked in! A very nice, original decoration and a friendly energetic staff!

Although our first night was not the best, we woke up by annoying party noice, we leaved our hotel after two nights with a good feeling. Why? They reacted
empathetic and correctly at our complaints. It gave us a good feeling!

For the breakfast you have 4 options a l carte. To be sure you can have your pick: please be a bit on time. Later in the morning they didns had the fruits anymore,

The hotel is near the citty center, bus stops and near the street there is a cheap self service laundry place.

We will come back to this place on out next visit Kuching!

Room Tip: Check the location of the rooms (some are near the street)
  • Stayed June 2016, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2016

We enjoyed our stay with Jackie and her team enormously. Standards of hospitality and cleanliness were excellent and we were impressed by the care the staff took to make sure our needs were met. The room was spacious, big enough to comfortably live in over a ten day period. The opportunity to participate in the Hari Raya celebrations at one staff member’s family home was truly appreciated.

• Stayed July 2016, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2016

First, I want to be clear that - whatever my complaints below - I appreciate the staff's hospitality and efforts. They greeted me very politely, offered me a heavenly glass of 'tuak' (rice wine), didn't fuss when I asked for more eggs and completed both check-in and check-out procedures w/out hassle.

They are the only reason why this review isn't rated 1-star.

Now, having said that, sigh, this kind of hotel is proof that the star-rating system is messed up. Batik Boutique is 4-star which, 'officially' puts it at the same level as Jen Hotel, Novotel and many other top chains.

But that's ridiculous:

1 - the room lighting was horrific
2 - the aircon was erratic; it was a split unit which meant that it took hours for the entire room to be cooled and you had to 'aim' it properly wherever you were
3 - there is no carpet, tiles feel very hard
4 - despite having 100+ channels, I didn't want to watch any on the TV (which did NOT have 'basic' stuff like HBO, CNN, SuperSports, Disney, etc.)
5 - the area outside the rooom felt 'spooky' without any lighting
6 - the wifi was **very** weak (and instead of requiring everyone to check the room compendium for the password, why not just stick it on the wall somewhere?)
7 - there is no study table and I was checking emails next to the water-boiler
8 - the hair-conditioner bottle was open before I was in (I can put this down to house-keeping carelessness, but when I was already pissed thing like this simply don't help)
9 - breakfast wasn't free-flow (why **not** let your guests who paid RM200+ for the room eat all the eggs they want?)
10 - it was very difficult to tell that I've arrived at the hotel; my flight was a night one, so when the taxi dropped me i was having serious second thoughts because there was no lighted sign which confirmed this was the hotel. Cabbie had to walk up to the entrance and point at the (rather vague) name to me

So, to sum up, who would be the ideal guests for this place? I'm thinking it would be ppl who are a) NOT overly concerned with comfort and/or b) who didn't do a good comparison of prices and/or c) don't earn Malaysian ringgit and/or (in my case) d) couldn't find anywhere else to stay because it all other hotels were booked up.

Basically, this is a 'travel lodge' for which I wouldn't pay more than half the price. If this was ostentatiously a **budget** hotel, then yes, great value for money. Alas, though, it's not.

• Stayed July 2016, travelled on business
1 Thank alwynlau
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2016

The Batik is a cosy, traveller friendly hotel for people who like to interact with the locals and wander outside the norm. I loved the friendly welcome and chats I had and the personal touch of seeing the weaving and being told of the rafting tour. A big hotel chain can't give you these types of experiences and I am so grateful for the information we were given.

• Stayed May 2016, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jac478
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2016

My husband, adult daughter and I were guests at this very welcoming centrally located hotel at the beginning and at the end of our 8 day trip to Sarawak. Breakfast is provided as well as helpful English speaking staff. We were able to store our suitcases while trekking and rafting in the interior.

• Stayed June 2016, travelled with family