Permai Rainforest Resort
US$65
US$45
Agoda.com
US$45
All reviewstree housemangrove tourhigh ropessilver leaf monkeysfly screensrope bridgesarawak cultural villagethe south china seaflying lemurno alcoholpermai rainforestsaw dolphinssurrounded by treesbako national parkdolphin watchingclose to naturenature lovers
Reviewed 27 February 2017

We started our 2 weeks holidays in the resort and extended our original 3 days to 6 nights. We were staying in the cottage first and moved to the treehouse next.
We were here in February, which is still rainy, hence it was half empty. It would probably be less fun when crowded with people. We liked the restaurant- buffet style for breakfast and dinner but some people were complaining about limited choice, especially for dinner.
The cottages are fairly basic but can fit more people. It is in the forest hence very moist. The whole resort is very clean but given the humidity there is high level of degradation, especially for the cottages. The advantage is that you are closer to the nature as the animals come to the distant ones. The treehouse was unexpected and unique, there are some 12 of them ligned by the sea, some under reconstruction now. It is for 2 people but with one extra mattress we fit with 2 adults and 2 kids just fine.
Traveling with kids (7 and 10 years), I found this place amazing first hand rain forest experience. You are just in the forest at the same time by the sea, the beach is great.
We cancelled other trips and just stayed in the area, except for the trip to Seremenggoh Nature Reserve with Orangutans. We would have tried Bako Park by boat but that trip was unavailable due to rough sea. There is a nice short 2 km trail just around the resort, that takes about 1.5 hour (2 for us). We also took the evening trip to the mangroves, it was fun.
I read some of other reviews and I guess one should be realistic - you are in the middle of the forest so do not expect any luxury. No tv, wifi only in the restaurant. No alcohol.

Room Tip: cottages are fairly basic, I would go only for the treehouse next time
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Libuse S
Reviewed 30 January 2017

They have amazing nature covering around the environment, the beach is awesome, the staff are friendly, but the PROPERTIES MAKE ME CRY.
I feel like i have been stayed in HUNTED HOUSE. The mini bar is disgusting! the bed is disgusting! the toilet is disgusting! the broken window make me feel unsafe.
& I felt I have been cheating. I was booked one room for my family members, which are 10 persons all together, so the receptionist strictly ask us to take another room as the cabin was max. accommodate for 6 person only. so i accept.
When we reach our cabins, i realized that our next cabins was stayed in 9 persons! so i asked them, they said there is no extra charges & THEY REALLY ARE 9 PERSONS STAYED IN ONE CABIN!!
The foods quality & quantity are not good enough! & the worst thing is the safety system is reallyX10 POOR!! this is the first & the last.....TT

Room Tip: Better don't stay in this hotel, i swear....
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Sie Wei T
Reviewed 25 January 2017 via mobile

Overall pretty dissapointing stay for a 3 star hotel. We were poorly guided through the reception. Bed sheet and pillows had weird smell and the floor were pretty dusty. The activities is dependant on the waves, and the waves were pretty rough most of the day.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sheryl L
Reviewed 19 January 2017

I picked this resort for this beautiful location, but cannot recommend after reception ruined our plants. She told us we could wait until the next day to book the high ropes course and it wouldn't be necessary to book that evening. The next morning, we tried to go to the beach only to be told we had to book the night before...and reception should have called the night before. Prices for excursions were overpriced and getting out of here was very expensive. I booked this due to the ropes course and I was disappointed as we were unable to do any of the outdoor activities we came here for.... Some houses had tiles falling off the roof. Would not recommend due to remote location and staff.

Room Tip: Away from beach due to noise by groups in morning
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wanderlustingk
Reviewed 16 January 2017 via mobile

This was our first stop after arriving from London, we arrived before check in and our room wasn't quite ready so we enjoyed a chilled drink in the 'feeding tree', a lovely member of staff then informed us our tree house was ready and our bags would met us there whenever we were ready! Perfectly timed our bags arrived via a small tractor to Tree House number 3.
The tree house itself is rustic, I was impressed with the comfort yet simplistic decor. The fact that each tree house has Air Con, a hot shower and a flushing toilet was pretty impressive baring in mind we were 5 meters above the ground in a tree!!
Our view was of beach number 1 with a few trees to offer privacy, the jungle sounds and sea were therapeutic.. but I should note that when the tide is in in the early early hours of the morning it does get louder (at one point I checked for a storm but there was barely a breeze.)
The jungle trek was fun - but carry enough water!!
I personally loved the second beach and Jungle pool as we were able to relax in the the water and see monkeys swinging above at dawn!
The food was great - even he unexpected noodles at breakfast!
If you are like us and enjoy a chilled beer on you holiday you will need to pop to Ecsobar or the gift shop in the shopping complex which is a 10 minute walk from Permai.. you can't really beat a can of tiger on your balcony overlooking the sea and hearing the sounds of the jungle!!
Truly special place - I would recommend it! All of the team there are great especially the ladies at the reception - they were very helpful.
Some useful facts; we paid 70MR from the airport for the 45 minute taxi, in the depatures you'll spot the 'aiprot taxi' desk where you pay and get a receipt to show the driver. Then after our stay we went to Kuching which was 80MR to the center of Kuching.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple