All reviews tree house mangrove tour natural pool high ropes course rope bridge flying lemur sarawak cultural village the south china sea permai rainforest saw dolphins night walk bako national park dolphin watching close to nature air conditioning breakfast and dinner fishing village
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were so excited for this part of our journey, staying in a treehouse in the rainforest, activities, beach! However, there were pros and cons:

Pros- you can’t fault the scenery and a treehouse is a really unique experience. We saw squirrels, snakes (a safe distance away!), lizards, the lush greenery was beautiful and I was surprised by how modern the treehouse was- eg modern enough bathroom and air conditioning. There is a beach and nice natural pool. Contrary to other reviews, I was also impressed by the variety of food.

Tips for improvement- I was really, really disappointed with the overall communication. When we arrived at 10am he said check in is only at 2pm which is normal, except no one else was there and our treehouse was ready the whole time!! We waited for hours for nothng. iThe staff members had absolutely no idea about all the activities that are offered even though it says you can book tours at the restaurant, reception etc.eg the night trek, jungle cooking, waterfall walk as advertised on the website. We envisioned ourselves going along with a group on multiple activities, but when I asked eg when in the night walk the reply was “I don’t know”, I mean...I sure don’t! Find out! Not one activity happened while we were there, which was upsetting. Also, none of the activities are included eg you pay for a kayak, a walk, when the website makes it seem included. As a result we did no activities because it seemed like none of them are on. It’s also important to note that this is a DRY hotel. You can walk about 10 minutes to Escobar which is a bar and next to 7 11 for snacks.

To the staff- I’d really encourage you to have a meeting where each staff member is informed of every activity, how long it runs, when it is and what it is. I would also advise to provide guests with info on what to do around the area. Additionally, at breakfast I was handed a menu with prices and told to order. I declined as there was free toast and cereal. It was only when I left I noticed that meals on the menu were also complimentary-you need to make this clearer. This place could be 5 stars if people put in the effort.

Room tip: Great scenery, poor communication
Date of stay: January 2019
2  Thank jessieme123
Reviewed 27 December 2018

We stayed here for 3 nights over the Xmas period. We went with some trepidation after reading the bad reviews on here- but we had a fantastic time. This is an eco lodge and NOT a 5 star hotel, so expectations should reflect that. The resort is in a stunning location, within the rainforest and on a lovely beach. We stayed in treehouse number 9 and it was great. Not luxury, but clean and comfortable. There is air con, fan (very quiet), fridge and kettle. Big comfortable bed. We had a little balcony to sit out on and listened to the sound of the sea all night. In contrast to other reviewers on here, we found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The staff in the cafe were especially welcoming. Breakfast and dinner (buffet style) was included in the room prices and we thought the food was good, plentiful and good value. We even had Yorkshire pud on Xmas day! There was a mix of Asian and Western food available at each meal.
The resort offers a range of activities, but we just did the self guided jungle trail. This took a couple of hours, so best done first thing it the morning. It was quite tough requiring some scrambling over rocks and some steep climbs. But the waterfall at the top was spectacular. The path is well marked.
Overall, would really recommend going here if you like to stay in a natural environment, surrounded by sea, sand and jungle and want to get away from it all. We loved it!!!

Room tip: Treehouses all face onto the sea, cabins are set further back.
Date of stay: December 2018
Reviewed 21 December 2018

This resort has small camping area on the far end of it territory . We had staying here for 4 nights with our own tent . It is very romantic and peaceful place . The rainforest descends from the steep slopes of the peninsula Santubong straight to the sea . There are 2 small but beautiful beaches good for swimming . Charming sunsets . Good opportunity for hiking . We ascended on the Santubong summit . Amazing views ! About camping amenity : there is huge shed "Jungle Hall" with tables, benches, fans and light . Many taps with water and 2 shower/toilet blocks . We like this place .

Date of stay: October 2018
Reviewed 1 December 2018 via mobile

Firstly i would love to compliment the views and sceneries, but the memories are tainted by bad experiences.

I rent a treehouse number 5 on 31/12/2018 and suppose to have a 3 nights stay. But had to check out early because of two things. First of all, the room, is was dusty and the ceiling is full of spider webs!!! The chairs are dusty and this room had termites issue, wood dusts all over my bed the entire night.

Secondly, the cafe services. I ordered a chicken chop and nasi lemak a'la carte, i understand the chicken chop took about 20-30minutes which i am ok with it but what i am not ok is that i had to wait for 1 hour 30 minutes for my lunch that bad day!!! I understand they are doing buffet for the outside guests but the food are already there for them and i am doing a'la carte, then i asked fpr a takeaway and even ask then kindly if they have delivery services to my room, they replied positively but then i had to wait for another 30minutes for my food!! Judging from the delays i went back to the cafe abd they apparently had my food packed 10 minutes earlier!! I explained to them the situation and the waiter didnt even apologize!!

These 2 bad memories really turned me off and had to check out early than the schedule. I wish the management take this seriously

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 22 October 2018 via mobile

We had our transport from the airport arranged through the hotel as we knew we wouldn’t be checking in until around 9pm. All went well with the transfer. Upon check in we were given vouchers for both dinner and breakfast throughout our stay. We’d travelled all day so we’re exhausted and starving! Despite being given a voucher for the night we checked in they told us the restaurant had closed as well as the small shop in reception. For that evening we had no access to food or bottled water at the resort.
We were given the key to treehouse 3 - we couldn’t wait to get inside because who wouldn’t want to stay in a treehouse, right?
Our bags were delivered to our room just a few minutes after we got there. On first glance everything looked ok - we expected basic and we realised it was in the Rainforest so could live with a few insects. What we realised after having a good look around was that the place was filthy!
Mouldy cupboards, mould in the bathroom, filthy shower head. It was vile!
We went down the reception to ask to move rooms - it really was that dirty. We found that by this time that reception had packed up and gone for the night. We had little choice but to shower in the disgusting bathroom - can you imaging our delight when we realised there was no hot water? Fantastic!
This is when it dawned on us that we would have to spend the night in the treehouse of horrors.
We had an excursion booked (not through Permai!) early the next morning. After getting absolutely no sleep I was waiting at the reception desk for when it opened. I explained how disgusting our room was and asked them to sort another room out for when we returned later in the afternoon to which the receptionist replied that she would.
After returning from a full on day visiting many places throughout Kuching we arrived back sweaty and exhausted. There was a different lady on reception in the afternoon who knew nothing about the issues I’d expressed that morning - so I had to go through everything again.
We were told to sit and wait in reception for a moment whilst they made some calls. After waiting for around 15 mins (there were also other people there complaining) we were told they were fully booked and we’d have to stay in our original treehouse. That was not going to happen. I then asked to speak to the manager and around half an hour later a lady appeared with keys to 4 other empty treehouses!!! We’d been sat in reception the entire time and no one had checked out so the ‘we’re fully booked’ comment was clearly a lie!!!
We visited all other available treehouses which were to the same standard - disgusting! The lady showing us around had to get another member of staff as I quote ‘a witness’ - something tells me we weren’t the first complaints they had had.
We decided that one night in the treehouse of horrors was enough for us and after sitting in the jungle reception for a couple hours filing out incident reports and getting covered in mosquito bites we got in a taxi and moved to a near by hotel in Santubong which was gorgeous and wonderfully clean! And cheaper than Permai!!

Avoid this hotel like the plague - after speaking to some locals about our experience during the rest of our stay even they said how disgusting it was.
Sounds ok for a day trip but what ever you do don’t sleep there! You will leave feeling like you need a tetanus !!

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank abbieshaw92