Stayed here for 2D1N recently during year end vacation. The check-in experience was not pleasant. During my arrival, there was no concierge staff to attend to us to assist us with the luggages. The outdoor car park was very dark with insufficiently lighting, we felt greatly insecured walking to and from the car park at night.
Room given to us was #225, a ground floor room with 1 king bed and 1 single bed. The room condition was terribly damp and moist, we discovered that the toilet ventilation fan was not effective and the water in the bathtub could not be drained properly. There was a stench of rotten wood in the room, likely due to the high misture content in the room. We also found little brownish water contained in the bathtub with some stains. The bathroom shower curtain was mouldy, the toiletries provided was not up to standard. Hair dryer and the room telephone in the room were not completely working in order. TV in the room was rather small for Holiday Inn resort standard. Cleanliness in the room needs to be greatly improved, ants were found on the desk. The bedside lamp was also faulty. Carpet in the room was old and dirty.
Responsiveness of housekeeping staffs needs to be improved. Requests for bottled water, towels and toiletries took long time to be delivered and often needed a second reminder call.
Swimming pool was decent and good for a casual swim.