“Roach infested hotel”

Primula Beach Hotel
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Kuala Terengganu
“Roach infested hotel”
Reviewed 1 June 2011

One of the worst hotels I've stayed at. The smell of food permeates and lingers in the room. The bathroom has roaches and we found them in the restaurant as well!! Only bath towels in the room and they aren't that clean either!! Hotel is dead at night...

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank StefyKL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Indonesian first
Marikina, Philippines
Reviewed 28 May 2011

First of all, if you want a vacation that includes beer drinking nights out in your itinerary, Terangganu is not the place to be. My husband and I were disappointed when we were told that the hotel or any other hotel in the city did not serve beer. But the buffet meals were good, the staff extremely helpful, rooms relatively inexpensive and very spacious, although a bit shabby. If I have to go back to Kuala Terangganu in the future, I would stay at the Primula again.

• Stayed May 2011
Reviewed 5 May 2011

To me, the hotel was decent enough, and while not what I consider to be the best value for money, it isn't too bad as well.

The location couldn't be better for a hotel in KT itself, with a beach right behind the property, and very close to all the central sights, as well as transport hubs.

However, the hotel has seen better days, and is slightly aged. While rooms and bath are kept clean, and there are some touches of more recent amenities, I'd say it's about time for a refurbishment. My room had a king sized bed, a table & chair (for work / dressing), a small couch, and a balcony. The bathroom was quite big, with a standing shower.

The breakfast is a standard spread of local dishes, with some continental variations, and is sufficient. Food in the hotel isn't too bad as well, but I think it's not top notch either. We had some food at the beach front resort, and we felt the food was decent, but we can find better outside in the town itself.

There are a few small downsides - the wireless internet access is inconsistent - sometimes you can get onto the network, but there's no internet access, and sometimes the access speed comes to a crawl. More than once I had to resort to using my own mobile broadband instead. Another small matter was the fact that the hotel doesn't seem to be enforcing the smoke free policy in common areas. There were people lighting up all over the lobby and meeting areas, as well as the restaurants, which was a little unpleasant for me as a non-smoker. Also, I thought that Malaysia has a non-smoking policy for common areas. Aside from these two complaints, the hotel is quite acceptable to me.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank mozilla_monster
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Despite the bad reviews, i categorised this hotel as pleasant and accommodating. I stayed in a twin room with super single twin beds. The room wasn’t perfect but I found no flaws in the room either. I was there accompanying my husband on a business trip. The room can nicely accommodate the four of us ( 2 adults and 2 kids). My room was facing the sea and i loved the view of the ocean. You have your private access to the beach but when i was there, there was a construction going on at the beach. Breakfast was authentic with a few local Terengganu delicacies. The other restaurant (the one near the pool) was slightly cheaper compared to the one in the main building.Pool was big with a slide for the kids. Staff was friendly and helpful. There’s a free shuttle service going to the market a few times in a day. However, i think the wall between rooms are too thin as we can hear sounds from other rooms.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights from 9th March; the hotel was not very busy. On entering our room it smelt of stale cigarettes – the room was large but the decor was tired and in need of refurbishing there were stains on the bed sheets. The bathroom was exactly the same. We sat around the pool which was clean . We ate in the hotel restaurant for our breakfasts and evening dinner the food was very nice and reasonably priced. There is no alcohol sold in the hotel. We walked down to the Ocean Restaurant(this can be reached by walking along the beach) this was very busy - here you could buy beer or red wine – we didn’t eat there but the food looked really nice. If you are looking for 5 star accommodation and 5 star restaurants we did not find them in Kuala Terengganu

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends