“Overall an average experience”

Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Flic En Flac
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We stayed here for 10 nights mid January for some R & R at the end of a Safari in Kenya. We opted for a prestige suite because we were able to get it at an early booking special rate of 50% discount. To get this rate the room total had to be paid immediately and no cancellations/refunds were permitted; we had Travel Insurance so it was worth the slight risk. Our visit did not start well. I had organised with the hotel a transfer at either end of our stay and after a frustrating 20 minutes looking everywhere at the airport for our driver it was apparent no one was there to pick us up. We took a taxi and arrived, furious at the hotel. We were later than expected because of what had happened and the check – in at this hotel takes an inordinate length of time. With hindsight we should have deferred the “briefing” until the next day but we just wanted to get it over & done with. We were starving and just able to manage a quick dinner afterwards in their buffet restaurant before it closed for the evening. I had complained bitterly to Cynthia, the reservation agent on arrival, she had seemed almost surprised that I was unhappy. We noticed that after this and during our stay here if we had to approach the front desks she did her level best to avoid us. We settled in and two days later were asked to go up to reception one morning for them to explain to us what had happened. Apparently I had informed them that I was going to get a rental car???? Not true. I did reserve a rental car directly with Sixt on their website but at no time mentioned this to the Sofitel. The car was dropped off to us on the morning after our arrival and collected again on the morning before our departure. The front desk manager took some convincing that the hotel had absolutely nothing to do with the rental car issue and even if I had mentioned it to them surely the agent I made the transfer booking with should have confirmed with me if she thought I no longer required the transfer? We were given a reluctant and condescending apology of sorts but we would have felt better if the whole scenario had not been dragged up again.
The suite we were in was large and very nice. It was reasonably clean with the exception of the floor which gave us black soles of our feet if you walked barefoot on it until they washed it on the third day of our stay. The only problem we had with the room was the shower waste in the main bathroom was semi blocked with someone’s hair and it blocked up completely and didn’t drain after 2 days but it was rectified as soon as I mentioned it to housekeeping. The suite was large with a lounge complete with a bureau to use as an office desk, two bathrooms, two showers, a bath, 2 TV’s, 4 telephones and 2 completely separate Air Conditioners. The bedroom was big with a walk in wardrobe and a blissfully comfortable & also huge bed. To the Sofitel’s credit there is free wi-fi which works in the rooms. We were very happy with the room for the price paid but it would have been too expensive if we had paid the full price. To charge the full price the room would need to be updated with fresh and modern décor. The room was at the rear of the property & had no sea view but we knew this. The restaurants’ here are a mixed bag. The service levels are extremely variable and mostly are very good but we received some exceptionally poor service from just plain rudeness to being totally ignored. At no time were we anything other than polite but we noticed on several occasions people loosing their cool with restaurant staff. Overall the Chinese restaurant is probably the best. The main buffet restaurant is inconsistent; we dined here three times and enjoyed it twice. It is here that you take your breakfast and it is definitely better to be early rather than late. The later you are the less choice you will have and the more the service will have deteriorated. The breakfast is OK rather than outstanding. I only had a cooked breakfast twice, for me I am not keen on bacon, sausage, etc…that is just dripping with fat. Curiously, in a French hotel the cheeses when you could get them were just rubbish. You have to make advance reservations for all but the main buffet restaurant & they are keen to get you to order a Lobster meal in the beachside restaurant. Don’t do it! Their lobster dinner is the biggest rip – off food wise we have ever seen. You get a small appetiser, half a small lobster each (horribly dry & overcooked in our case) & a piece of non descript cake for dessert. We returned to the beach side restaurant on another evening and ordered from their menu which was much better but not outstanding. We had two room service meals of the jumbo prawns and they were really good, the best food we ate at this hotel. We also had two meals out at the local Hippocampe restaurant and this place put all the food outlets in the hotel to shame. The beach the hotel is on is OK but becomes very shallow at low tide. The snorkelling here is poor and if you walk to the left is a little better but then you have to deal with a boat lane & have to keep making sure the many boats that pass have seen you. We were very glad we had a rental car and after touring around the entire Island; settled for the last three days of our stay on a routine of driving each day to the beach near the village of Le Morne (not on the Le Morne peninsula but slightly further round) which we considered to be the best beach on the Island and the least populated part of Mauritius. One day we tried to take some snorkelling gear with us (we didn’t say we were leaving the grounds) but were informed we could only have the gear for 2 hours!! Overall I would not recommend this hotel. It would not be hard to do better and if we return to Mauritius we will look for a newer property somewhere on the south coast. Interestingly the south coast is the area where most of the new construction is taking place on the Island, there is a gorgeous new Lux property among others being constructed on the Le Morne peninsula.

Room Tip: I would only recommend this Hotel if you can get a good room rate as we did
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KiwiExplorer

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed at the hotel for a residential training- Hats off to conference staff: Seambar, Alvin & more under the leadership of Marie Noelle for trying their best to accommodate the residential training. Their professionalism was much appreciated, especially Seambar & his staff for tending to our each and every need. And a big thank you to the guest relations staff as well. The food cooked by chef Jacques Ledou was very good and I would definitely go back to Sofitel for his dishes!!
Since I was at the hotel for a training, I cannot speak to all the amenities that the hotel offers. However, there were a few unfortunate moments that definitely left a bad taste about the hotel, especially in terms of customer service.
i) Very rude and obnoxious server, Visham, at dinner who did not hesitate to argue with the customer
ii) The person who supervised the waiters for one of our lunches was very defensive and disrespectful
iii) One of the participants had a dead cockroach in his food. And if it could not get worse, the person who tended to the matter, Jean Claude, instead of handling the issue in a professional and respectful manner decided to blurt out that ' the cockroach definitely did not come from his kitchen' and did not apologise.
Unfortunately, these instances have definitely ruined my experience at Sofitel--- and I would not recommend this hotel because these very poor customer service experiences.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
SofitelImperial, General Manager at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Dear Madam / Dear Sir,

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor further to your stay at our property.

We have noted your satisfaction regarding the conference facilities and the services provided by our Staff.
We would like however to sincerely apologize regarding the poor service you experienced with some of our Staff. Your valuable feedback will certainly assist us in the improvement of some services.

We hope to have the opportunity to better serve you and look forward to welcome you on your next visit to our property.

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed here for 10 nights while attending a local wedding on the island. The hotel is well located on the beach, and its design and layout are lovely.

We had a suite, no sea view since no suites do, but a good large room with two bathrooms. Generally well equipped. Clean and well cleaned unobtrusively each day. Not especially expensive. Huge pool and plenty of loungers around the pool or on the beach. Mainly French clientele, so no 'reserving' the best places before breakfast.

Most of the staff are friendly and greet you in French with a smile. So far, great.

Now we turn to the food. There are several restaurants; one on the beach for lunch or occasional themed dinners; a Chinese which includes a Japanese section; a fine dining; the main buffet restaurant. I'd like to review the Chinese and the fine dining which others have commended but I can't, since we never managed to eat at either. We had six evenings available; the first both were full, the next three neither was open. We tried to book for our last night well ahead, but were told bookings don't come up on the computer until two days before. OK, we book, turn up, and they'd put us in for the day before and they were full on the correct night.

So to the buffet. Food at breakfast and dinner - various themed dinners - was OK, just. Plentiful supply of food, but mostly overcooked and ordinary quality. Service bizarre. At breakfast just find a table - unless you're first in, it will still have the last diners' stuff on it. Policy seems only to clear away when someone new needs it. Then items will come in a haphazard fashion. A couple of plates first, then some cutlery, napkins if they remember. But you get used to just grabbing someone and they bring what you ask for pleasantly enough. It just doesn't come as standard.

Fruit juice? Help yourself at the counter to a choice of four or five - great. Never any orange, though. The staff have this separately at their stations and either bring two glasses automatically as part of servicing the table, or bring it only if you ask. Don't ask me why it's treated differently from the others.

The room had just two big towels and two floor towels. We asked for hand towels, and they came promptly, but went away every day without being replaced. Same with pillows. Just one each on the bed, but four spare in the wardrobe. If you each use two each night, you'd think they'd adjust to your taste, but no, you get two out of the wardrobe every night.

I have to say I didn't find any of this service annoying despite these comments (apart from the restaurant booking). It was quite fun actually, trying to guess how it would be each day.

Finally, the drinks prices. All the comments are correct; the prices are silly and appalling value, and I don't think I saw more than two other tables drinking wine at any dinner. If they halved the prices they would sell more and make more profit overall, but that requires someone in management to think, I suppose.

Take a taxi into the village and ask to be taken to the supermarket; they ask you if you're buying drink? Watch carefully as you see a room being cleared and there's a bottle or two which didn't arrive via room service.

I go on holiday and don't want to spend my time complaining unless I can't get what I need. We got what we needed, just needed to ask rather a lot. Giving free consultancy to management isn't on my agenda either, and this review is for potential guests, not for management. Unless they read and modify.... until then I guess the staff will just carry on muddling through.

Room Tip: Check prices. Suites seem to be on special offer frequently.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank HFielding

Dear Madam/ Dear Sir,

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor further to your stay at the Sofitel Imperial Mauritius.
We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed the facilities and appreciated the comfort of the room.

We would like however to apologize for the "peculiar" service you experienced throughout your stay. Your valuable feedback will certainly help us in improving our services where required.

Thank you again for your comments, we look forward to your next visit to our property.

Reviewed 14 February 2012

THE GOOD.
-----------------
*) Hotel is very nice.
Hotel Property , Luxury Room , staff, service is EXCELLENT
*) Breakfast vegetarian food was top class and mind blowing. I had poolside breakfasts and was lovely. Superb experience.
*) Private Beach and pool is very good.
*) Water sports offered are - snorkeling, kayaking, glass boat ride etc - are good

THE BAD
------------
*) Vegetarian food - DINNER sucks. I would rate the food as 1 out of 5.
Many restaurants do not have anything on menu for vegetarian food.For example wine corner restaurant.
*) Cashier facility while checking out is VERY BAD. They exchange dollars for very low rates and and also normally don't have changes (example smaller denominations) .I needed to pay only 15$ while checking out and i had to convert 100$ to Mauritian rupees at a very lower rate because HOTEL CASHIER bluntly replied we don't keep changes. It is hard to believe in a hotel full of Americans and french people there would be no changes! PATHETIC!

Room Tip: 1)Luxury rooms are on first floor are beach facing and are very good 2)Try to get rooms near recept...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
SofitelImperial, Manager at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Dear Sir,

We thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor.
We are delighted that your experience at Breakfast was good and that you have appreciated the service in Rooms.

We have also noted your dissatisfaction regarding the choice of vegetarian food and the cashiering facilities and would like to apologize regarding these issues.
Your valuable feedback will certainly help us to improve the quality of our service.

We hope that the above-mentioned inconvenience does not diminish your favorable regard of Sofitel Hotels. We would like to have the opportunity to better serve you and I look forward to personally welcome you on your next visit at the Sofitel Mauritus L'Imperial Resort & Spa

Sofitel Mauritius Imperial Resort & Spa

Reviewed 12 February 2012

I was always wondering what people meant in their reviews by 4 star and not 5 star and now I know.
Maybe had I not stayed at the 5 star Heritage Le Telfair the week before I wouldnt have been expecting too much.

It is really a pity cause the grounds of the hotel are superb...loads of day beds,loads of loungers,an awesome huge pool,great beach and watersports. I would maybe return just cause of this.

The actuall room wasnt bad either. So what made it not 5 star?

The first half hour I was in the room I spilt something on the floor and got a towel to wipe it...shocked to find the towel was black with dirt after,I wiped in other areas and found it was all filthy. There was still random stuff from the previous guest showing me the room wasnt cleaned properly. We had a coconut cocktail the 2nd day we were there (we stayed 7 nights) ... the coconut didnt get removed even till we left 5 days later. On 2 days the room didnt get cleaned and I had to call the cleaning services. The cushions on the sleeper in the couch were disgusting and the cushions on the outside furniture on the patio were also filthy...nobody would sit on those without laying a towel down first. We did travel with a baby which caused us to spend more time in the room...which isnt their fault but they could atleast have kept it clean.

The staff do have a arrogant feel to them compared to the friendliness of the staff at the Heritage Le Telfair.When asking for a sterilizer,the lady was reluctant to give one? saying the room did have a kettle?..only when i said that the website says they have sterilizers available did she say she would arrange one..so why the fuss? When asking about the T.V the front lady made a cocky call to the maintenance and quoted my query as "blah blah blah" on the phone to maintenance.

The service wasnt great in the main restaurant...the Chinese and Jacardanda restaurants were good. And I compliment The Sofitel for having a half board menu in every restaurant,well done for that! Plates in the main restaurant took AGES to get cleared and does make for a very untidy looking dinning area.
I think if management were just more aware and got the hotel functioning well (keeping it neat and clean and getting the service levels up) they could bring it up to 5 star standards cause as I mentioned already...the grounds of the hotel are superb.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor.

We would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and to your family regarding the room cleaning and the poor service you experienced.
Rest assured we are conducting trainings for our Ambassadors to improve the service that we aspire for and that our valued Guests deserve.

We hope that the above-mentioned inconvenience does not diminish your favorable regard of Sofitel Hotels and hope to have the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Flic En Flac
36.5 km away
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
22.1 km away
Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!