All reviews roof terrace owners and staff authentic riad lovely riad the location is perfect top floor pierre medina morocco heart fireplace
Reviewed 14 March 2018

So, I'm sat on the terrace, I just had my last breakfast at Villa Garance. And I really don't want to leave. We've been to Morocco before, well Marrakesh, this is our first trip beyond. Essaouria has been a revelation and this riad has been the perfect base to explore it. villa Garance is located very centrally, just off the second main shopping street. Close enough to be anywhere is a mo, but also very quiet and peaceful. The roof terrace is great, combines being a sun trap and a tranquil spot for reading and too much faffing with social media! Within 30 secs you're in the middle of the town, 2 mins and you're in the heart of the souks in one direction, 2 mins in the other and you're at the main square looking out towards the harbour.
The rooms are extremely comfortable and beautifully decorated. The breakfast is wonderful. The staff are very helpful and friendly. The ambience and tranquillity is intoxicating.
Note - we looked at, and almost booked, hotels / riads at the far end of the beach (e.g. Quieta). Be aware that these are a good walk from the Medina, where you'll want to spend most of your time, and all the great and interesting places to see and eat. We had a very lucky escape and landed in the perfect spot.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter E
Reviewed 3 March 2018

I completely fell in love with this place, From the moment the door is opened for you until the moment you leave you will be so happy. The rooms are very chic and comfortable. I loved the bathroom and cool shower! The rooftop was amazing! For a rest, a sunset view, or the incredible breakfast, it's perfect. The hosts are helpful and friendly. There was a fire in the fireplace the night we came back but we were too tired to stay downstairs and enjoy it. Were were a family plus one and we had a great room with two twin beds off of the main room. Very private and comfy. The schoolchildren across the street were noisy in the morning, but the sound wasn't too bad.There are plenty of common area stops to hang out besides the rooms.

Room Tip: No elevator! But that's typical in Morocco I think
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 January 2018 via mobile

Having never been to Essaouira before, we had been told by friends how relaxed and friendly Villa Garance was. The fact that the management advertised that gluten-free food was available, was a real bonus. We were not disappointed. The staff are delightful and the room, although not huge, is just the right size for two people with a comfortable bed and an excellent shower room. Breakfast is 'continental' and normally served on the roof terrace but as it was quite windy and cold, we arranged to have it in the dining room. The evening meal is a fixed price 165 Dirhams (£15.00) for 3 courses and has to be ordered by 3pm to avoid disappointment. There are however many dozens of eateries within the City walls you are spoilt for choice. I would heartily recommend Villa Garance to other travellers.

Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

Villa Garance is centrally located but quiet, with a beautiful view from the roof terraces. The rooms are furnished with exquisite taste, some have open woodfires and the beds are comfortable. The riad also serves an excellent dinner. Very friendly and professional staff. We spent five lovely days in Essaouira and were sorry to leave.

Reviewed 7 January 2018

The staff were so friendly and helful. Our room was cosy and nicely decorated. Breakfast and afternnon tea on the roof top was one of the highlights of our stay. I was very happy that the manager was patient with my bad French and didn't switch to English when I told her that I want to practice my French.