“Not as good as it used to be...”

Restaurante Las Orquideas
Ranked #22 of 119 Restaurants in Boquete
Cuisines: Central American
Reviewed 2 October 2016

This is a local Panamanian restaurant. I used to eat here all the time (like once a week), but in the last 6 months, it just hasn't been as good as previous years (I first started eating here in 2012). I eat at another Panamanian restaurant now. If you are new to trying this place, it will be fine - good size meal for the price. Their idea of a salad is more like a garnish (but Panamanians don't seem to be big on leafy greens / salads). Good pinto beans. They usually have 4 different meats to choose from, but this place is popular so they can sell out of items on the menu by 2pm. The staff are efficient and friendly. The restaurant is conveniently located in downtown Boquete near the police station.

1  Thank PanaTravelRoo

Reviewed 27 June 2016

Depending on what you are looking for, you either give this restaurant 5 or 3 stars. If you look for Grandma style home cooking - a generous portion with meat, rice, beans, and vegetables, then this restaurant deserves 5 stars, in particular if one considers the price (main plus batido for $6). On the other hand, if you are looking for modern cuisine - crunchy vegetables, a twist in the recipe, elaborate presentation, etc. - you will be disappointed.

It was probably one of the best "cheap" meals I've eaten so far; however, the gourmet in me noted that the vegetables were very soft (my Grandma would have loved them, I personally would call it "overcooked"), the meat a bit chewy (it was a very thin piece of steak, quite lean but a couple of pieces of chewy fat, and probably a tad too long on the fire, maybe even cooked beforehand and kept warm as the food came amazingly quickly), and the overall composition very standard with no interesting twist.

As noted in the other reviews, there is no printed menu but the waitress even could describe each option in English (at the level of "steak with onions" or "chicken soup"). The ambiance is similarly down-to-earth/working class but lightened up by a large number of plants. Rough Guide readers note: The restaurant now is closed Sundays (the opening hours on Sunday are wrong, maybe the restaurant is open on Sundays during high season only?).

Reviewed 16 June 2016

This is the low key restaurant in the working class neighborhood serving excellent Panamanian food. They have only 4 dinner selections, but different every day.
Owner is super nice and polite. The food is inexpensive and great quality.

Reviewed 30 April 2016

We ate lunch here, after hearing and reading so many rave reviews, and were really glad we did. There's no menu - just 2 or 3 meals explained, in Spanish, by the server. A main course (we had pork medallions and chicken) with 2 sides and a glass of lemonade was $4. It's on a side street in downtown Boquete, and you can sit outside on the quiet veranda. Authentic, yummy, inexpensive food. What could be better?

Reviewed 29 March 2016

Our first visit to Boquete and we wanted authentic Panamanian food. We saw many signs in English advertising Peruvian, Mexican, etc, but where be the Panama food? While we were driving around to put our 2 year old to sleep, I noticed the sign I had seen on Tripadvisor. I went inside and it looked like a favorite local spot! No English menu, just the owner telling me in Spanish what her specials were that day. Mind you, my Spanish is horrible, but she stayed so patient with me while I ordered pollo... con arroz... que es lechuga? And the big surprise was that each combo was only $4! The food was simple but delicious. We went back the next day! And make sure to try the lemonade, included if you eat there.

1  Thank hgmadventure