“Halal / Muslim restaurant in Makati”
Review of Gilak by Hossein

Gilak by Hossein
Ranked #546 of 1,388 Restaurants in Makati
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Seremban, Malaysia
“Halal / Muslim restaurant in Makati”
Reviewed 27 June 2012

After spending 3 nights in Makati , I can confirmed to any Muslim , there are only 2 genuine halal restaurants in Makati / Manila area , others are non-halal ( and they called it ' pork free' ) GILAK in one of them and the other is New Bombay restaurant , near Shangrila hotel . Personally met the owner , Mr.Hossein and he showed me the genuine halal certificates , etc. Food is excellent , the beriani , the curry , the nan bread , kebab , tandoori . the rice is of good quality . Atmosphere is good , clean and the staff are courteous , price is reasonable. If you are on a budget , order rice with 2 dishes and 4 person can have a complete meal . The servings per plate / dish can be shared for 2 . Come again the next night and order different 2 dishes , you will come again the 3rd night to try another 2 dishes ( thats what I did )

• Visited June 2012
17 Thank mohzan

• Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Tampines New Town, null, Singapore
“hossein's the best among the rest”
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I had my first taste of hossein's when I chose to celebrate my 25th birthday there with my family. The ambiance was warm..inviting makes me feel like royalty. The waiters and waitresses were friendly and attentive. Now the food, we ordered the supreme kebab platter, the roulette kebab, shrimp tandoori, fattoush salad, roti channai and lentil soup. I must say the kebab was..HEAVEN! it was juicy, meat was seasoned well, pair it up with their basmati rice that was just cooked right, fluffy and light, It was addicting! The shrimp tandoori was succulent and juicy unlike the others that I have tried that were tough because it was overcooked, All in all, I have to say dining in Hossein's is unforgettable. I have come back a few more times after my first taste of their kebabs because I know I surely am getting what I paid for. Unfortunately, I am currently working in Singapore. I have tried to find a restaurant that would suffice my craving for kebabs that were good as Hossein's but it's sad that I haven't. I hope someday they plan on expanding overseas. Keep it up and looking forward to dining here again when I go to visit Manila,

• Visited May 2012
5 Thank ktherese_12
China
“Vegetarian Delight”
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Despite hating kebabs and being vegan, i assumed I'll regret eating in this restaurant. But, i never thought you could actually grill vegan dishes and make it taste like meat. Their vegetable Tandoori was the closest thing to meat that i've ever tasted in my entire vegan reborned life that i regreted finishing the whole meal knowing that i made an ought never to eat meat again. haha, Other than that, I loved their salad, especially their Greek and Tabulee which my boyfriend munched on like a beast that he only left me a slice of feta cheese and one lettuce leaf. lol, i hate him. The price was on the higher end of the spectrum, but because of the ambiance, the service and especially the food, i could even say that this place deserves to be called the louis vuiton of kebabs, its expensive, but nothing gets better than it. Gilak ( not knowing why they named there store like that, totally bizzare for a restaurants name ) is a great find for vegetarians such as myself.

• Visited May 2012
5 Thank Tan_Swee
Singapore
“Hosseins Food, heaven as always”
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Well went back to the Philippines and got the chance to go back to this restaurant, but decided to dine in a different branch. Shock to see other reviews like this, just made me certain what lengths other competitors try to do to get the better of this restaurant, but Knowing how Chef Hossein started this business 25 years ago from just having a four seater diner to a fine dining phenomena that serves excellent food, top it off with a mind blowing dining experience with it's authentic architecture interiors and superb service; deserves more than fives stars. His perseverance is the reason why his food and all his restaurant is simply the best. Chef Hossein, you've always been an inspiration, keep it up.

• Visited June 2012
7 Thank Jaylulee
Singapore, Singapore
“Worst meal ever at a restaurant --- in my life time!”
Reviewed 8 November 2011

My bf and i were wandering around Makati in search for a nice restaurant for our one night stay in Manila. We came around this high end looking Arabic, Indian cuisine restaurant and thought of giving it a try.

We ordered our usual Indian dishes, palak paneer, chicken masala, and 2 garlic naan. When the dishes were served, the palak paneer only had a few miserable pieces of squeamish looking cheese covered by whitish yogurt looking topping. The whole dish look and taste like a pool of puke with a sourish aftertaste. The so-called chicken masala did not even a slight taste of the authentic Indian curry flavor. The sauce is probably instant mix, and the chicken meat was not fresh and filled with bones with every single bite. The naan was the most inedible of 3 dishes. The greasy naan was a quick fix from supermarket and the lowest grade you can ever find! It looks like plastic, and taste like rubber.

My bf kicked a big fuss, and we refused to consume the food. We asked for the chef, but no one came. The bill came up to be 1300 peso, which is not cheap at all. We ended up only paying only for the chicken masala as we ate 20% of it. The other 2 dishes were totally not edible and we refused to pay.

It is really a shame to even think of serving such lousy stuff which is not meant for human consumption especially we are talking about a high end district in Manila. I am still wondering how long more is this Hossein restaurant going to survive....They should probably be better off starting a Persian rug business!

• Visited November 2011