All reviews makati avenue live band halal food hotel security deluxe room metered taxi the red light district night life short stay metro manila philippines traffic
Reviewed 2 March 2012

After reading a couple of not so good reviews here in Tripadvisor, I was a bit hesitant to check out this hotel. I frequently stay in St. Giles or Antel Spa Suites but unfortunately even though I was a regular guest of their hotels they weren't able to get me a King/Queen size bed during that time. So I decided to try out Berjaya for a change.

Reservation was a breeze! I got a pretty good deal, an executive deluxe room at 4,200 php only. The special rate includes buffet breakfast, complimentary wifi, set lunch/dinner, and a transport service to any place in Makati area. Checking in was fast, FO staff took only 5-20 (yes I timed her, being quite OC haha) minutes in finding me a non-smoking, high floor, queen bed, newly renovated room.

The room was okay. It is pretty spacious, clean sheets, new LCD TV, coffee table, office table.The bathroom can be improved, change shower head and tiles.

I tried the buffet breakfast in the morning and it was just okay as well. They served two to three viands, an omelet station, some cereals, and breads.

Checking out was a breeze as well. With the Duty Manager's assistance, I also used the complimentary drop-off upon check out.

All in all, I had a pretty good stay in Berjaya. I would definitely consider staying here again!

Room Tip: request for a the newly renovated rooms
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank highlynocturnal
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights and was generally happy with the hotel.

It's in a great location just down the road from Burgos street but far enough away from the Red Light district. It's close to some decent restaurants and bars if you want to go out at night.

Security is good at the hotel and the staff are very helpful and friendly.

The hotel is getting old and some of the rooms are looking a little tired and need some renovation but you get what you pay for.

Breakfast wasn't included in my rate so we had breakfast there one day and paid (I think) P450 each. The buffet wasn't very good so it was overpriced in my opinion. I didn't go back a second time, instead I went to the cafe next door and got better for for 20% of the price.

Getting a taxi is easy but make sure the doorman gets you a taxi that will use a meter.

Each night they have a band playing in the lobby bar. I didn't stay to listen to them but they seemed quite good as I was passing by.

All up, it's a good hotel and I'd probably stay there again if I needed to be in that part of town.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TonyB_au
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed here one night enroute to Angeles City. I got here very late so I did not use the pool. The front desk and security were very friendly both at night and the next morning. Actually one security member spent some time explaining certain directions I needed. The room was spacious and very clean. The shower was hot and had good pressure, although like many Philipine hotels I felt that the bed was a little hard. On a side note I would like to mention that 2 weeks after this stay I tried to get another room here without a reservation, but they were sold out. A front desk employee I think it was Natalie spent a few minutes calling around for me and she got me a room across the street. She was very nice and hospitable and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Fitguy
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We decided to try this hotel as we stayed in a neighbouring hotel the night before and it looked quite modern from the outside.

Staff were quite unhelpful during check-in which is unusual for the Philippines. Room was a good size but very dated. Not sure who was responsible for the workmanship but it is of very poor standard, peeling wallpaper at every seam, dirty carpets with stains, very bad finish to bathroom fixtures and fittings, terrible sound insulation between the adjoining bathroom as you could hear everything including their toilet movements and speech too. The cold water tap in the basin didn't work and the so called hot water was barely warm so the shower wasn't that pleasant either.

The worst part about our stay was that at 10am despite displaying the "do not disturb" sign and check out clearly being 12pm, we were disturbed by a staff member asking when we intending leaving as they wanted to clean the room, I pointed out we had paid for 12pm and thought this would be the end of the matter. How wrong was I....because at 11am we received a call from reception asking when we were checking out again at 11.30 and once more at 11.45. This really made us mad because we were so tired from travelling and were trying to rest at the time.

We didn't try the breakfast so can't really make comments about this.

Good points...... room size and location.

Bad points........ rude staff, poor decor, sound insulation and far to expensive for what it is.

I would try the City Garden just up the street, similar price, better rooms, better service and pleasant staff.

Will not use this establishment ever again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cerberus01
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stayed here for two nights during CNY and found it to be a good choice. The room we had, on the fifteenth floor, was quiet with no outside noise. The large bed was very comfortable and the room itself was very clean. The room looks a bit dated with the shower in a bath tub, but was perfectly adequate. We would choose this hotel again.

Staff were mostly fine although one guy came rushing up to us when we were checking out and said he would get us a taxi (there are lots on the street). When we told him we were ok, he insisted and then got rather angry and was still trying to usher us into a particular taxi as we exited the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple