“Excellent Malaysian Hawker fare in Manila”
Review of Old Penang Restaurant - CLOSED

Old Penang Restaurant
Cuisines: Malaysian
Reviewed 2 November 2014

Come to this place if you missed the hawker food in Malaysia and Singapore. This is like a coffeshop where there are many replicas of hawker food from Malaysian and Singapore here. They have the best Yin Yong Cha Hor Fun and authenticated by my Malaysian and Singapore friends. The cantonese style wanton noodles is better than good. The Penang favourites of Hokkien Prawn mee (soup) and Penang laksa are also available. I have tried Nasi Lemak, Roti Prata, Cha Kway Teow, Laksa, Fried Hokkien mee, Mee goreng, Chicken rice, Lor Mee and other "Zi Char" fares and they are all acceptable. What else can you ask for when you yearn for local food when away from home. My negative comment would be the deep fried Pork Lard (Zhu Yao Cha) is not great. The crispy and crunchy Lard goes very well with the Yin Yong Cha Hor Fun, Wanton mee and Char Kway Teow. In fact, any noodles and kway teow will not taste the best without the use of Chu Yao Cha. Service is okay and the place is clean and airy. Ask for Sambal belachan if you like you food spicy. They have one of the best sambal belachan around.
Tip - For making great Lard (Chu Yao Zha) is to fry them together with water and a little salt till the water evaporates and then continue to cook at low heat to extract get all the fats out. You will have pork oil for the noodles and crispy and crunchy lard like Chicharon. Never fry them with oil.

1  Thank LimP361

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Average Malaysian food. Flavors were ok but somehow lacking. I was upset at first because my order hasn't arrived yet after more than 20 minutes. The orders of those that arrived after me even came first. Good thing the lady manager was pleasant and apologetic. There are better options elsewhere.

1  Thank bryantpark88
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I joined a friend who is a native of Penang to try Old Penang. Though not a deluxe establishment, Old Penang is clean, friendly, and service is prompt and efficient.
I had a serving of Beef Sate and a serving of Chicken Sate. The sate is prepared differently from that I usually have when visiting Malaysia, but it is good and portions are more than ample. My friend had Char Kway Teow and his comment is that it ranked with that of Penang. He wants to go back. And again, the portion was ample.
Price wise, it is in line with what one finds in other malls in Metro Manila. It is more expensive than the hawker stalls in Penang, but about the price of what one would find in a shopping mall there.
As for Malaysian food in the Philippines, it probably has the best available in Metro Manila and is worth the trip. I will go back.

2  Thank Tamarindwalk
Reviewed 27 December 2012

I am a bit surprised with the last 3 feedback on Old Penang here in Tripadvisor. Just hours ago, we decided to have a quick dinner here because I wasn't feeling well and wanted a bowl of hot soup.

This is our second time to visit this restaurant. The first time we had our dinner here, we ordered lots and we were dismayed. Today, we decided to try it again and for the second time around, the restaurant failed us again.

We ordered Nasi Lemak and their Prawn Soup. The food was okay but the serving was just way too small for the amount we are paying. When the food was served to us, we were like "Is this it?" Instead of feeling happy and relieved because we are finally eating --- it was the other way around.

Service wise though --- they are fast. Maybe that's why the serving is just so small. The prices are unreasonable. We thought that the food is good for sharing but its not.

They have a free wifi... but it really doesn't count at all.

1  Thank jadeandthecity
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Though Old Penang serves Malaysian food according to the crew. Their food taste like those I had when I visited in Singapore :)
We ordered Hainanese Chicken Rice, Char Kway Teow and beef&chicken satay, it's so delicious. I feel like I'm in Singapore, we love the ambiance, sitting on old-like round chairs and tables making us feel going back to our grandparents' time. :)

2  Thank MeSoloTravel