“Below standard”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Disappointed from start till end.

Located in a nice cozy compound, the restaurant has an inviting Interior. Unfortunately that’s where it stopped to be attractive to us. No staff member was to be found to welcome us. After we seated ourselves the waitress showed up at the table with the menu. No welcome greeting was extended.

We ordered creamy Mushroom and Asparagus soup as appetizer, Main Course Pizza with extra Pepperoni, a Pasta and some small side dishes. There was a little confusion when the soup was served, which was which they looked the same, even the waitress could not tell the difference, they looked ...creamy.

When we were half way our soup the waitress showed up with my main course, when I asked her the meaning of this she said “your main course sir you ordered it”.
I explained that we would appreciate it if we could finish our soup first and then have the main course. Take it back to the kitchen please.
Then 5 minutes later while we were still eating our soup my partners Pizza arrived,
I looked at her and said " you must be joking" and also returned it to the kitchen.

(Meanwhile we see the owner walking by the window looking inside gets in his car and drives off).

After the soup, our main course returned back to the table. Both dishes were cold and clearly effected by the waiting time in the kitchen. The extra Pepperoni was….let’s call it thinly added.
No effort was done to keep it warm or make it look presentable. The cheese and oil were separated of the vegetables, Our dishes were ruined.

To avoid any escalation and ruin our evening by getting upset, I had it all wrapped up for take-out. I asked the waitress to tell the cook that it was unacceptable to serve their guest this kind of food, I asked her politely or I could talk to him, he was standing at the door of his kitchen. After the waitress talked to him he disappeared into his kitchen not to come out anymore.

The best thing of our dinner was the wine, clearly because it came out of a bottle and not their kitchen. The staff was polite throughout our visit, just not trained well. Not to blame.

I understand that things can go wrong in a kitchen or any business for that matter, mistakes happen, but mistakes only become a problem if they are not properly corrected and that’s clearly the case here. No respect or management skills were shown by Owner and cook.

Reviewed 14 July 2017

I had often passed this place. It looks unimposing from the street. But when I decided to visit, I was blown away by the decor and the elegance. We ordered a pizza and a pasta dish. Both were very good, and fully consumed! Peroni beer available!
Will definitely return to this place.

Reviewed 1 June 2017 via mobile

Very good ITALIAN restaurant!!!
It is difficult to find a very good Italian restaurant in the whole Philippines but La Toscana is one of the few good ones for the food quality.
I recommend the truffle linguine, penne arrabbiata and fusilli salsiccia rustica .

Reviewed 11 January 2017 via mobile

Quaint food place to go to for a dinner-date, or business meets. Best at dinner time. After touring the city, and having all those local delicacies, your palate may look for something more familiar. Head to this Wine and Dine place. It's definitely a good place to unwind.

Happy Tummy

$$$ Mid to High prices, but worth your money.
Average prices:
Pasta $7.- (serves 2)
Pizza $6.- (serves 2)
Wine per glass $3.-
Complimentary bread (and concoct your olive oil dip to your liking)
House Specialties such as Osso Buco at $12.- is a must try

Reviewed 30 November 2016

Let's start off with the good, or at least not-so-bad news: In a kitschy sort of way the ambience in fairly nice, if somewhat overdone. The Sistine Chapel ceiling as interpreted by some local artist was, fairly gaudy, as were all of the red and green lights, but all told, the atmosphere was pleasant and comfortable. Points should also be awarded for the friendly--if somewhat uninformed--service. The wait staff tried hard to please but did have to keep referring to unseen others for details about specific menu items.

The wine selection--always an important consideration for me--was surely adequate, with Valpoliccelas, Barrolos, Chiantis, and others liberally represented. The prices for wine were, I thought on the high side but not outrageously so.

The not-so-good news is the food. We started with a shared spinach ravioli, home made, and reasonably tasty. The pomodoro sauce however, was so heavily dosed with salt, that the latter overwhelmed all of the other tastes. My compassion and I each ordered a steak--mine with green peppers and some sort of cream sauce--which was simply inedible. I managed to saw through enough to get one bite down, wished I hadn't and had the rest "bagged" for eventual disposal. It was simply that bad. The bread, which I had to order and for which I had to pay extra, was basic white stuff and not a true Italian bread. It surely wasn't worth the Php150 that it cost, and this had to be the first time in my life that I've had a so-called Italian restaurant charge me for bread.

The only other diner was someone I happened to know, and he said that the pasta and minestrone were excellent. Having tried neither, I can't comment except that if the pomodoro sauce was representative, I'm sure it would all have been too salty for me.

We didn't sample the dessert, but did have a flaming sambocca with espresso, and while the espresso was weak (Filipino style and not European), the sambocca was excellent and the flames were a nice touch.

I doubt I will return to this place, and I'm still looking for an authentic Italian restaurant in Davao.

1  Thank Michael L