Book In Advance

from US$105.00
from US$84.00
from US$103.00
More Info
All reviews nice museum japanese occupation pre colonial danny boy tour guide political history different periods world war national archives different eras you'll love this place museum shop pre spanish free tour coral stone separate rooms visited this museum
Reviewed 1 August 2018

Because I love history, being here is definitely worth my money. My husband, my sister, and I went here for a tour and enjoyed the silence and history it brought and revealed to us. We've learned so much and it's definitely worth the visit!

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank Mecyll G
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Entrance Fee 30 pesos and a student / ojt tour guide assists you. First stop was a room filled with artifacts found in cebu that dates back to the neolithic era . Weapons, knives , flints all made of stone . Then also celadon wares from China and Vietnam , from when these 2 countries traded with us long before the Spaniards came. Then there were also burial jars excavated . Next rooms were mostly memorabilias of famous Cebuanos , politicians , publishers , writers etc . What excited me was the room where there was a list of Cebuano Katipuneros hoping in my heart Ill find somewhere in that list my grandfathers name or maybe his ancestors even my great grandmothers last name ... no luck though ... its still worth a visit.
Heres another trivia it used to be the “Carcel de Cebu” meaning jail , provincial or city Im not sure about , hence in some walls youd still see “inmates names” carved as pointed out by my guide .
Again if youre into museums , this is worth a visit.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

Located on m.j cuenco ave., if coming from the colon area, it'll be on the right side.

There is a street right before you see the front entrance to the museum (again coming from colon), make the turn and you'll see a gate to the left. Honk your horn if its closed and security will open the gates to lead you towards the parking area. Parking appeared to be limited maybe good for 5-6 vehicles. I'm not sure if they have other areas to park as there seem to be a narrow alley, ahead of the pebbled parking area, that possibly can accomodate one more vehicle. Parking is free.

We went about 3:00 pm-ish and there weren't many people there. You make your way towards the front of the museum to pay the entrance fee (locals paid 30 pesos and I believe it was 75 pesos for foreigners. They also have discounts for senior citizens and students). So you go pass the gazebo structure from the parking lot, then cross the courtyard towards a fountain. Someone at a small desk will point you in the direction to where you make the payment then politely ask you to sign a guest book. Then you make your way around. You may opt for a guide (which we were told was free of charge) but we decided to explore the museum ourselves. There will be 4 areas where there is air conditioning, and ends after the world war 2 exhibit. There are interesting excerpts from history as well as artifacts. I particularly found the world war 2 area most interesting, though I wish there were more artifacts and maybe some interactive activites that can really immerse someone during that time in history. After leaving the world war 2 exhibit you head down a steep stairway, if you are tall be careful of the overhead. I consider myself short and even then I felt as if I was gonna bump my head. So be careful. The courtyard was spacious. There are a couple more exhibits around the courtyard that include maps and blue prints of various structures, cities and different islands in the Philippines.

As previously stated, wish there were more artifacts to see and maybe an activity or two. However, what was displayed was informative and left me wanting to learn more about the Philippines and Cebu's history. Thank you for having a musem such as this to introduce us to Cebu's history. (tip: they allow you take pictures, but with no flash)

Date of experience: June 2018
2  Thank pogicha
Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

The museum used to be a prison. Considering the minimal entrance fee, a trip to this museum was a treat! Very enthusiastic and knowledgeable Tourism students served as our guides. A well-stocked museum shop would be a welcome improvement.

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank ancoylopez
Reviewed 31 March 2018

I still love this place as a historical and relaxation park. You get to see history of Cebu as it unfolds with all the Spanish documents and pictures. Love Cebu indeed.

Date of experience: March 2018