“Great place to rediscover what true vodka tastes like, accompanied by incredible vodka snacks”
Review of Zavodbar

Zavodbar
Reviewed 18 January 2018

A little hard to find at night in the rain walking from the Intourist hotel (four kilometers round trip), but once you overcome your vague feeling of being lost (definitely take a map), it is not that hard to spot. And well worth it for the authentic vodka experience. Do not underestimate the advantages, both physical and psychological, of accompanying the vodka with some appropriate snacks/food. We had a series of snacks (rolled cheese, ham, fish, pickles), plus a bowl of solyanka and a steak (much better than expected), but the fried pelmeni probably should be avoided. Overall, a very enjoyable experience - a bit amazed to see a place like this outside of Moscow or St. Petersburg, and the prices were not exorbitant, but a bit higher than one would expect outside of those cities. But, at 100 rubles per glass of Sadko vodka, one cannot really go wrong at the bar.

Reviewed 27 December 2017

While on our way back to the train station in Veliky Novgorod, my boyfriend and I decided to stop here for some refreshments while we waited for our train to St. Petersburg. Though located in a very residential neighborhood, Zavadbar feels more restaurant-like than bar. We sat at the bar and I ordered a tasting of the different vodkas distilled by Vodka Sadko, which is affiliated with Zavodbar. Each "shot" of vodka (which I sipped) was accompanied by a small snack, in the Russian tradition of drinking vodka. My boyfriend who doesn't drink, was able to have a hot mug of mors, a mulled berry drink. The servers were all very nice and eager to help show which vodka was what, despite our non-existent Russian and the good (but limited) English they had. After settling the bill, I went to the shop next door and bought some vodka to enjoy later, at prices much lower than we saw in Moscow.

Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

Terrible attitude and don’t open at the time the sign indicates. If they don’t like clients coming in, open a gas station instead

Reviewed 13 September 2017

This place has a really attractive atmosphere, charming waiters and waitresses, and a philosophy we would surely want to embrace. The menu reads like a manifesto, but the English is gibberish, starting with a statement of Pushkin's which is nonsense, not on Pushkin's part, but the translator's. (I copied it down on a scrap of paper, but lost the scrap. I'm sure the Russian is brilliant.) It transpires from the murkiness that the aim of the place is to make drinking (alcohol) as well as eating a gastronomic event. What friend of Russia and friend of food and drink can't say hallelujah to that? But the translator is not the problem: the problem is the chef. I ate here three times! I followed a previous reviewer's advice and ordered off the blackboard. The pea soup needed salt and pepper just to be OK. I even ordered sturgeon (black) caviar, the worst I've ever had, even in America: it was pasty and dull. (How could that be possible in Russia?) But the triple short sets of shots of different vodkas were superb. So were the pickles ("quickly pickled cucumbers" --I'm not challenging their translation here, just alerting you how to order it). This place should have really better bread and butter! It's Russia after all and should have fabulous deep bread even if they can't find rich butter. The chanterelles (wonderful mushrooms usually) were oily and soggy, the fried potatoes, worthless, but the "gin basil smash" was magnificent. I'd say the alcohol side of the place is genius, but the food worse than ordinary; sour cabbage with horseradish, again, drowned in oil and not enough horseradish. I like this place and if I come back to this fascinating town, I would re-translate their philosophical excursions for them, certainly their Pushkin. I wish them well, but keep the bartender, replace the cook: бармен гениальный, поверь плохой.
The translation of the names of the food you might order are no worse than usual, you'll get it. It's all that theory in the menu, which sounds potentially interesting, if only they spoke English.

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

In what feels like a slightly run down Street. But very good, service and food. English menu with some fun translations. We all enjoyed food and beer ordered. Recommended.