“Very Delicious Vittles in Veliky Novgorod”
Review of Berg's House

Berg's House
Ranked #10 of 259 Restaurants in Veliky Novgorod
Cuisines: Russian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 December 2017

After a long day touring the Veliky Novgorod kremlin and its museums, my boyfriend and I were famished. We walked across the river to the other side of the city to get to Dom Berga for a late lunch. As it was early December and rather late in the day, we were the only people inside the restaurant. Our server was very nice and professional in handling our order, despite our non-existent Russian. The menu was easy to read, and offers more than your standard Russian fare. My boyfriend started with a salted Novgorodian mushroom dish and then had the cabbage soup that was served in a toasted bread bowl, which was very delicious. After a little bit of goading from my boyfriend, I opted to go out of my comfort zone and try the bear cutlet. Cutlet usually refers to a groundmeat patty, as a word to the wise. The meat is VERY gamy, but is tempered by the cowberry preserves it is served with. The buckwheat baked inside the apple is a very nice touch to compliment the bear. For dessert, we ended with a sea buckthorn and berry dish that is reminiscent of panna cotta. All in all, a tasty meal.

Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

They have an English language menu, clean toilets and excellent food. For the more adventurous they also have bear on the menu.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

You are in the heartland now, and you will not get food approximating American or Western European. Face it, but the food is good. Pick what you'll take, it all looks totally strange, and you can't know how it'll turn out. In my experience, it's all good, and if you picked the wrong thing, try something else, it's not expensive, so you pay the pittance for a mistake, but try again. This is the real deal in Russian food, good quality, but not oriented toward tourists' taste. Take a loss and pick another dish, you hear me, if your first choice doesn't work? This food is authentic, seriously.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Was recommended by our host but oh so slow with dishes we ordered appearing at various time. Not up to par with European or American standards. Food so so and no need to return. Not with the program yet. Still on Soviet time and work timetable. Not impressed.

Reviewed 7 September 2016

The personnel was good but the cook was very bad. I ordered some kind of speciality which had cheese on top, potatoes and red meat. The meat tasted like it had been fried in old oil. In the middle of eating the food made my stomach lively. I had to go to bathroom. I ate some more since I hadnt learnt my lesson yet. By the way the pepsi they serve is warm. I left after I couldnt eat anymore, I ate as much as I could since it wasnt very cheap, around 800 roubles. Big mistake.

I barely made to to the bridge and threw up a little bit. I kept on walking after cleaning cold sweat until McDonalds at the railway station and spent some quality time in their bathroom.

I went during my trip to Russia in 30-40 different restaurants and this hit the rock bottom. Worst food and also I got food poisoning from it. If you go here, order fish but definitely not meat. However I would avoid at all costs.