All reviews east wing classic hotel west lake bit dated horizon lounge china su government westlake lakeside pagoda cab mandarin
Reviewed 31 May 2017

Good and easy to access the tourist area with just a walking distance. Wish to visit Hangzhou at this hotel again. The restaurant food is not good enough though I can enjoy the outside area for eating.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
杭州香格里拉饭店, 总经理 at Shangri La Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2017

Dear Ngtyc888,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience at the Shangri-La Hotel Hangzhou with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our location. Should you travels bring you back to Hangzhou, I hope to have the chance to welcome you again.

Reviewed 17 May 2017

Outdated and smelly room. In a nutshell. Great location. Very Chinese. If you want to sit at breakfast with obnoxious Chinese guests smoking at tables clearly indicated as Non Smoking and have the gardner shouting into his phone standing in the middle of the guests, you have found the perfect hotel. If not, or to put it another way. If you are not Chinese I do NOT recommend that you stay here. It is just a typical Chinese 4 star hotel with a fancy name.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business

Dear Silhouette2549

Thank you for your review of Shangri-la Hotel Hangzhou. We too are disappointed with your stay experience with us and are concerned about the service issues you have raised. Would you please provide us with more details via email at slh@shangri-la.com so we may investigate internally and take necessary actions to improve services if needed. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you and best regards.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

The Shangri La is a chain that my family has very hit or miss experiences with. Here in Shanghai, both the Puxi and Pudong hotels represent the creme-de-la-creme of hospitality - over the top opulence - the flat-out best options for dining - bend-over-backwards service... they will either do it or die trying if you ask them.

Outside of Shanghai we've not been as happy. This trip added to that syndrome.

The hotel itself is a much older property - I couldn't even say how old it is. What I was able to read said that Shangri La took over the property in 1984... in that time a slew of dignitaries and luminaries have stayed with them.

How was the room? We had a West Lake view suite on the 7th floor. The room was large... really, really large - tall ceilings - huge bathroom... BIG. The decor looked - well - old and dated. It was all clean and maintained but it showed its age. The furniture was not 'bad' - it just didn't have that 'WOW' factor. Example: when we stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Guangzhou I wanted to take the furniture home with me... most people try to steal towels and bathrobes. I tried to figure a way to steal the desk and the wardrobe! The Hangzhou Shangri La didn't give me that same lust for kleptomania.

The bed and pillows were EXCELLENT... some of the best we've ever experienced.

... then there are the lights. Do you have trouble seeing in dimly lit rooms? Do you suffer from retinopathy? FEAR NOT! The lights in this room are bright enough to perform a medical procedure under. I'm not a fan of the ruthlessly efficient blinding white light method of lighting. In fact - it drives me nuts. If you want romantic or even just cozy... switch on a lamp and nix the overhead lights.

So - round 1: big, BRIGHT, and dated but comfortable.

How was the service? Remember when I said that some hotels will do what you want or die trying? This is not that same level of service. It is more like - do it yourself and we'll probably help you if you look like you are about to die. Strike 1: we booked the hotel WEEKS in advance with ample notice that we'd need a roll-out bed for our 7 year-old and a crib for our 16 month-old. When we checked-in we got ... a large room and none of those things. The front-desk assured us that they would be provided quickly... after a call to the front desk to remind them we only had to wait another 10-15 min to get those things! I don't really like to complain about things like this but it wasn't as though we checked in at 3:05PM... we got to the hotel at 8:30PM! 5 and a half hours after check-in!

The woman who they sent was super nice and very efficient... but did tell us that she was flat-out with all of the OTHER requests that the hotel were coping with. (Did I ever mention that I love nothing more than to pay $700/night to commiserate with the front of house staff??? Yeah ... no. When I check in I don't want the impression that the hotel has ANY other guests with them at the time. Sorry.)

The next day we asked if we could book a private car to take us around for the day?
They said: "No." (Strike 2) Do you have a car-service that you can book for us? "No." What do you do when people visit the hotel and need/want local transportation?
(Blank stare).... uffff .

Someone from the bell-stand was able to get us a taxi that was willing to stay with us for the day. Did he know any of the local attractions that would add color to our visit? He might have - but he only knew them as destinations from so many trips! (In the end he turned out to be a decent driver (which is a huge plus) and figured out that we were looking for picture opps and tapped into his creative side to find us some interesting places. I gave him a generous tip and he was very, very happy!)

...we never got to Strike 3. Hooray!

How was the food?

We had dinner in the room on our first night and it was 'ok'... lots of cheese on all of the western options. It was all good - but cheesed out to the max! The man said "30 minutes..." and it came in 27 minutes.

Breakfast in the "HORIZON CLUB" was... ok. A small buffet with local and western options.

Peppino's on the mezzanine was flat-out excellent. I'm a food person. I know good food when I see it/eat it. When we went in it was not busy (which is a shame) because our meals were all top-notch!

- - -

So - if it is only 'so-so' why should I go there?

Why does anyone go to Hangzhou? (Other than business in the down-town section?) To see West Lake. There were literally tens of thousands of people promenading around the lake morning, noon and night... it was hectic at times with the weight of all the people. The Shangri La puts you DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET from some of the most picturesque vistas of the lake... you don't have to 'travel' to get to them - just walk across the road! Consequently - I'd guess that the rooms at the Shangri La have the most commanding views of the lake!

If you are going to go for a weekend and want to be RIGHT THERE - this is the place. Just temper your expectations... ultra-modern it is not.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of West Lake
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank oiramsq
杭州香格里拉饭店, 总经理 at Shangri La Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2017

Dear Mario S,

I would like to thank you for choosing the Shangr i-La Hotel Hangzhou, and for sharing with us your experience. I am truly sorry that your stay did not meet our usual high standards. Your constructive comments have been discussed with the team and appropriate actions have been taken to remedy to this kind of situation in future. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again should your travels bring you back to Hangzhou.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

this hotel has 2 towers. make sure which tower your room is in. The hotel is a little old, room is not spacious as other 5 star hotels but still big enough. It's right next to West Lake, press much across the street.

It was said the hotel was haunted. I only stayed 1 night and didn't find anything different. However, 2 of my Chinese co-workers said they experienced something weird before. I don't believe in ghost, so who knows...

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business

Dear KathyReview2014,

Reviewed 25 April 2017

For a city like Hangzhou to have a brewery the caliber of midtown is exceptional! All of their beers are winners! If you have the chance to talk to the talented head brew master Eric I highly recommend it. He is passionate about brewing the best craft beers available. The New Zealand IPA is delicious, the porter is full bodied yet easy to drink, the pilsner is refreshing and clean, the pale ale has a nice balance between malt and hops. There are 6 main stay brews and 2 special brews available. This is local craft beer at its finest! You will not find another brewery in Hangzhou serving the wide range of local craft brews. Please stop in and grab a pint for a measly 58 RMB.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
杭州香格里拉饭店, 总经理 at Shangri La Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2017

Dear Beerguy787, thank you for sharing your experience at Shangri-la Hotel Hangzhou, We are delighted that you enjoyed our Shangri-la hospitality and exceptional dining options. We look forward to welcome you back to our hotel soon.