“Vastly Overpriced, Incompetent”

Shangri La Hotel Hangzhou
Ranked #28 of 2,497 Hotels in Hangzhou
Reviewed 30 October 2017

An example: I used their laundry service, which is astronomically priced. (They charge $7 per shirt.) It came back with a card saying that one of the shirts was "damaged" and therefore they hadn't washed it. But looking at the billing slip, they had charged me for it anyway. Subsequently a non-English speaking woman rang at my room with a clipboard and asked about "laundry." After I yelled at her, two phone calls and a revisit by this same woman to take the shirt back ensued.

When I called up to order, by number, ONE item that was on the menu in my room, that took three phone calls--and I was actually surprised when the correct item finally came

Let's be clear. This is a HUGE hotel. All they need is ONE English-speaking employee on duty at all times, and a number to call that employee, from which she can call you back if necessary. If this big chain can't figure that out, stay away from them! And I'm a member of Shangri-La's "Golden Circle" loyalty program, from way back!

This hotel is so huge that to get to their foolishly overpriced buffet breakfast, you have to find your way through a succession of long corridors and go down many stairs. That facility is in the "other wing."

Their prices for car-and-driver were ridiculous when I tried to arrange that in advance, so I had to resort to someone I eventually found on the Internet--who was very good and economical, big comfortable car. John Wu.

You will find your Internet access inconsistently but very inconveniently blocked--no Google, no gmail. Don't expect any help from these nincompoops.

Room Tip: West Wing More Convenient
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
杭州香格里拉饭店, 销售部 at Shangri La Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2017

Dear Charon666,
Thank you for your review of Shangri-la Hotel Hangzhou. We too are disappointed with your stay experience with us and are concerned about the service issues you have raised. Would you please provide us with more details via email at slh@shangri-la.com so we may investigate internally and take necessary actions to improve services if needed. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you and best regards.

Your sincerely,
Communications.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

The hotel is a former government official hotel with 60 years old.The hotel is on the north back of lake. It is near the tourist boat terminal and other sceneries. Good view from hotel rooms. The hotel service is good.
The food in the canteen is not so abundant compared with others Shangrila I lived before.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
杭州香格里拉饭店, 销售部 at Shangri La Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Dear YeW,
We have taken note of your comments about food.so we may investigate internally and take necessary actions to improve services if needed.
We look forward to welcome you back to our hotel soon.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 11 September 2017

A bit outdated hotel, though this gives the chance to experience classic colonial era feeling in Hangzhou.

Location is great, the West Lake is just a two minutes walk across the street.

Staff is competent and helpful. Clients are almost exclusively Chinese.

Breakfast leaves nothing left to wish for.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
杭州香格里拉饭店, 总经理 at Shangri La Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience at the Shangri-La Hotel Hangzhou with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our location. Should you travels bring you back to Hangzhou, I hope to have the chance to welcome you again.

Yours truly,

Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

I'll let you know about or experience and then tell you about the hotel. I also have to start by saying I've never had to complain about a room before.

We booked a deluxe garden view room and our guide telephoned the hotel in advance to guarantee a West Wing room. (The east wing is a buggy ride away from the main reception). When we checked in, in the evening we were given a lake view room in the east wing being told this was an 'upgrade'. The room stank of cigarette smoke and we immediately had to ask to move. The bell boy rang the manager who confirmed they would move is to a better room also in the east wing. This was a suite, but also a smoking room. The bell boy left us and we had to telephone the manager ourselves. We told him it wasn't good enough to be put in another smoking room and we would be happy with the original room booked. He told us that this was better and the west wing was fully booked. The east wing was apparently all smoking rooms. After being told at least 5 times the west wing was fully booked and there were no more rooms available and that our original booking was no longer available he amazingly found a room in the west wing and we moved again. It was such a struggle to explain to him why we weren't happy and being on our honeymoon was not a pleasant way to start our stay. We asked why our original room had been given away with no answer. Being lied to quite blatantly that the west wing was fully booked was aggravating. The duty manager came to collect us personally and told us again how the west wing was fully booked - apart from the room we were being taken too I had to point out.

The room we ended up in was a car park view (so still not the garden view we originally booked) but we just wanted to unpack and get to sleep. The air con didn't work very well but I did not want to complain again

In the heat of the moment, however, I lodged a complaint through the hotel website. It was only following this that good service came out. The following day our guide got a call from the hotel to apologise. We were offered another upgrade to another suite, but which we turned down as we were checking out early and didn't see the point in having to pack up and move again, especially as we were on a full day tour. Instead they offered us dinner and a bottle of wine to make up for the issues the previous evening. This we thought was good service and we were met in the evening by the manager and taken to dinner.

If it wasn't for this the review would be a 1.

All this aside the hotel itself though, as other reviewers have pointed out, is very dated and quite disappointing. It reminded me of a Bournemouth hotel I stayed at in the 1980s. Considering it is a 5* hotel you expect more. Even our guides admitted it's very old but it has a very good location on the lake. G20 leaders stayed there a few years ago and it feels like the hotel is hanging onto this to maintain its high end status.

Breakfast is fine with a decent selection but the food isn't anything special.

Overall you want more from a 5* hotel. There may be other hotels round the edge of the lake that might be worth a look though.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
杭州香格里拉饭店, 总经理 at Shangri La Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

Dear Jonathan D, I would like to thank you for choosing the Shangr i-La Hotel Hangzhou, and for sharing with us your experience. I am truly sorry that your stay did not meet our usual high standards. Your constructive comments have been discussed with the team and appropriate actions have been taken to remedy to this kind of situation in future. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again should your travels bring you back to Hangzhou.

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Amazing hotel to stay in. Amazing look.rooms are very auspicious too. There is lake right in front of hotel.few rooms gives amazing view of Lake.simply awesome. The hotel has distinction of hosting few guest like Angela Merkel, Vladimir Putin etc.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
杭州香格里拉饭店, 总经理 at Shangri La Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

Dear Somnathwagh
Thank you for sharing your experience at Shangri-la Hotel Hangzhou, We are delighted that you enjoyed our Shangri-la hospitality. We look forward to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Yours sincerely,