“The place for okonomiyaki”

Okonomiyaki Nagata-ya
Ranked #6 of 7,625 Restaurants in Hiroshima
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Description: Shop Holiday:Tuseday and Fourth Wednesday
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I was very lucky, my hotel was only 5 min away from Nagata-ya so it was a no brainer for dinner. I'd wanted to eat some okonomiyaki in Osaka but it didn't work out so i was determined to get one in Hiroshima who is also know for theirs. I got there around 6:45pm and the line was about 25 to 30 pps, I'd walked by earlier while at the peace memorial, maybe 4ish and the line was the same. It took about 1hour but time went flying because there was another single woman eating solo behind me and we started a conversation about everything, we actually ended up eating together. They take your order while in line so you only wait a short time at the table before the food is served. I was hoping to eat at the counter but we ended up at a table. I wasn't sure what to expect but it was really good. My fellow traveler was vegan and ordered hers as such they even had a special sauce for vegan. I had the special (1100yen/$10.30) with soba noodle (thinner and firmer than udon). The place is pretty cool with old metal signs and wood support structure, it feelt warm in spirit.....and temperature, those hot plates keeps the room warm, a pleasant feeling when coming from the coolness of the night. The staff was very friendly and super efficient. I strongly recommend Nagata-ya for an okonomiyaki meal!

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

After visiting the Peace Memorial and a short stroll along the river bank to view cherry blossoms in full bloom, we queued for about half an hour to get a table. After another 20 minutes of waiting, the food we ordered - an original and an oyster - arrived and did not disappoint. It was an experience eating with the food placed on a very hot stainless steel plate heated below by a gas burner.

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

The food is to die for. The service, second to none. Highly recommend for anyone in, or passing through Hiroshima.

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

My wife and I and our grandson had lunch here after seeing reviews on Trip Advisor and we're delighted. Altho specializing in okonomiyaki Hiroshima style, the varieties are amazing and the taste, spectacular. We loved every bite. The staff is friendly, many speak English and even though they are quite busy, they are quite efficient. Go there. You'll be glad.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

The restaurant is always very crowded so you may have to wait in line for a while, but it is worth the wait. Okonomi yaki is Hiroshima's great comfort food, with flour, cabbage, noodle and other toppings of choice, and the restaurant offers variety of Okonomi Yaki. When in line, the server gives you the menu so that you do not need to wait for long time once seated. Great food and good price. Has English menu, too. Definitely recommended for authentic Hiroshima comfort food experience.