“Great experience - excellent service”
Review of Kikunoi

Kikunoi
Ranked #68 of 14,286 Restaurants in Kyoto
Price range: US$27 - US$45
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 November 2012

This place is not cheap, but one eats very well. We loved our private room and would recomend this place to anyone.
You best be an adventurous eater though. Our theme was: "No idea what this is but it is really good!" Photos tell the story.

2  Thank mdbasile

Reviewed 28 August 2012

From the moment you are ushered into your private dining suite you know this will be a memorable evening. Kaiseki is a series of small Japanese dishes elegantly presented. Every course is an art piece and a unique taste. You must be willing to try new food to enjoy the evening. The chefs wife stopped by our suite to see how we were doing. And they brought us a lovely book marked to let us read about our various courses with lovely photos and comments from other famous chefs such as Nobu. A once in a lifetime evening that is extremely expensive but worth it.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

It has been around for a long time and we normally avoid Michelin star restaurant in Japan (they are mostly off the mark). Kikunoi must have been great at one time but not this time. It looks tired - the place, the service and the food. The best is the spring bento presentation with the mandai. I know it is bamboo in season (and the top bamboo is expensive and hard to get) but we are served bamboo after bamboo. While we have the dining room by ourselves, it lacks warmth and the service is a bit rushed. For folks who have not experienced kaiseki this might be exciting but to be fair the food is so so.

2  Thank tkng
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This is a wonderful location, a large house on a hill, Japanese gardens. The decor is all traditional Japanese, tatames everywhere. The hosts are wonderful, the service is graceful and kind, as is the Japanese standard.

The owner/chef has written a coffee-table book on Kaizeki cuisine, seems to be an authority on the subject. We had the 18,000 yen menu, with twelve courses.

Some of these courses were excellent (the initial appetizer, served in a "firefly cage", the duck) others were a bit disappointing and tasted rather bland. Perhaps it was my "Western" palate, but I expected more. I like Japanese cuisine and have enjoyed it in many places, in Japan and elsewhere: I liked the 10-course menu at our hotel's traditional Japanese restaurant better than at Kikunoi. Perhaps I need another Kaizeki experience to compare to Kikunoi.

2  Thank FernandoLanzer
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My first visit was 5 years ago. It was such an amazing experience that I decided to try again although I have a seasoned kaiseki foodie telling me that it is not great anymore, I still insisted on going. We ordered the 20,000 yen course per person expecting a wonderful meal. The selection and quality were a let down. Not refined like the last time. Perhaps it was a winter menu? Hence not as refined as the spring menu that I had? Or maybe it has become too popular ? Service is still very good. All in all, we had a very mediocre meal for a total of 48,000 yen for 2 persons. I feel that it is perhaps resting on its laurel. It was not a bad meal but it was far from good. Fyi, They also impose a 3 day cancellation policy.

3  Thank chchtrain