“Amazing service”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Pontocho
Reviewed 23 March 2017 via mobile

Three of us ate at this high-end French-influenced restaurant on a Thursday evening. We were the only diners at the bar and received exemplary service throughout. This included being escorted to the bathroom and waved goodbye at the end of the meal! The plates are very small, so be prepared to eat several plates in order to be sated.

Reviewed 8 January 2017

A very unique experience. The quality of the food is exceptional. The service is superb. Every course is so tasty and so well presented, you will remember this restaurant for a long time. Chef INOUE Teruo runs this French Kaiseki restaurant with such personal care, pride and attention to detail, I'm not surprised that the food and service is so good.

Reviewed 13 October 2016

My wife and I returned to this restaurant after a memorable meal in 2007. Sometimes your memory gets polished, but not on this occasion.
We opted for a private room ( as last time). We opted for top degustation and accompanied with French champagne and a superb Chambertin Grand Cru. I only order these wines when confident the meal is of a very high order. That was the case, every course was beautifully presented and delivered on all counts, quality of produce, texture and flavour meld. French?Japanese is certainly are favourite cuisine in the world.The staff and service arfe outstanding. Chef Inoue visits during the meal. He is a delightful man. This is a MUST for fans of this type of cuisine. Our meal so much better than many Michelin starred restaurants ( including 3 stars) we have dined out around the world. I forgot to mention the wonderful style and presentation of this beautiful old Japanese house

1  Thank Russ1625
Reviewed 24 July 2016

Misoguigawa was recommended by a friend and it came with fair warning that we would spend a pretty penny. Indeed, we probably spent about as much on dinner as we did for 3 nights at the hotel, but it was certainly worth it (and that included several adult beverages.) The kaiseki style is a Japanese/French fusion, and the chef takes care to cater each dish to individual tastes. For instance, I told the waiter that the only meat I eat is fish, so my 7-8 courses were vegetarian or pescetarian all the way :)

There is no menu. Simply tell the waiter what you like (or rather, what you don't like.) Nothing was too weird or "out there", but I wouldn't dine at Misoguigawa if you aren't at least a little bit adventurous. Everything was incredible!

Service was attentive and old-fashioned/traditional. My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary, so we enjoyed a private dining room. The decor looked nicer in the group dining areas, but that is minor. I was thrilled to meet with the chef on our way out, as he personally greets his guests at the end of their meal. He only speaks Japanese and French, and he was just adorable. The restaurant is nestled in a very charming alley in Pontocho.

Highly recommend Misoguigawa for your splurge dinner out!

Reviewed 2 June 2016

From the start to the end of our time in this restaurant we were treated as VIPs. Lovely welcome. We had a lunch menu which was beautifully presented as KAISEKI style. The Foie Gras and Duck were delicious. As was the Green Tea Brulee with Black Sesame Ice Cream. Planning to try the Dinner menu next visit. Fantastic service right to the end when they stood outside bidding us farewell. We had a lovely discussion about Kyoto and Geishas and I was given a Geisha fan. Considering the high quality of food, beautiful presentation and excellent service, it was worth the price