“Better look for another place”

and 1 more site!
Green Peace in Kyoto
Ranked #267 of 419 Speciality lodging in Kyoto
Reviewed 26 June 2017

It is one of the worst and most dirty places I have ever slept. I have chosen this hostel only because of price and location 5 minutes by foot from Matsugasaki metro station. That is all when it concerns advantages. There is only 1 shower which is disgusting. Toilets as well. Kitchen the same. Rooms are also not good. Hosts are kind and helpful but please- close it and make some renovation. It is Japan and not some abandoned village in Amazonian jungle.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

Upon hearing the name greenpeace one imagines images of a clean safe environment. Discard those images now and disregard the deceptive images listed for this establishment. Allow me to paint you a more realistic picture.

Upon arriving at the property we were greated not by the owner but by a note and a whiteboard. These crude "documents" revealed my name, room number and duration of stay to the other residents in the building. I was able to see the other residents information as well, strangely including two cats. I was never made aware of the owner having cats on the property, I am highly allergic.This was not welcome and surely has to be a breach of confidentiality and health and safety regulations.The note demanded I answer a summons to meet the owner at 4 pm. This was in conflict with our travel plans and was highly unorthodox.

My room was number 31. Me and my friend made our way up the stairs treading over a vinyl floor which was filled with air pockets. I can only assume upon further reflection the probable cause to be, cat urine. We entered our room which to our amazement. Had one wall papered wall and 3 walls covered in chip board. This was far removed from the images I had seen online.

My friend left the room to use the local wash closet. He quickly called my name clearly in a state of disbelief. Upon looking into the room I would be hard pressed to call a closet. Inside was both one of the funniest sights I have encountered and depressing. A mixture between a squat toilet and a western toilet. I am aware you are not supposed to pour bleach down a toilet as it may damage the plumbing. However, I am certain any plumber as a rational human being woud have made an allowance in this case.

This was the straw that broke the camels back. We decided there and then 3 minutes into our stay to get as far away from there as possible and still remain in the city limits of Kyoto. The wifi password ended in the word "cut". On a door to another room was the creepiest sticker ever to be produced outside of an asylum. Quickly gathering our belongings we hauled ourselves away as fast as possible past the squalor of the communal kitchen.

We left a note, that the owner seems to be very fond off on the board at the entrance, informing her we would be finding accommodation elsewhere.

Having never met the owner I can not possibly make disparaging comments about her. However, based on what I have described I leave all of you to draw your own conclusions.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gerard G
Reviewed 1 August 2016

We had to go out of this place ; my girlfriend has skin problems and the rooms were covered in dust, as well as the bed covers were not (or poorly) washed.

I've been in many places around the world and i know that in some countries/cities, people just don't have money to hire people to perfectly clean the rooms, hold correctly their guesthouses or even if they wanted, there would still be cockroaches, etc.

But it's in Japan. Japan is a country where most places are really clean, even if they're cheap... Even the cheapest capsule hostel in Tokyo - which is cheaper than this one - is way way much cleaner than this one !

There are A LOT of guesthouses way much held than this one in Kyoto, maybe a little bit more expensive, but sorry, even the cheapest places in Nepal are better than this - and nepalese people don't have any money.

So please, stop those silly comments telling that "we don't have to expect anything from a place that cheap", cuz we didn't ask for comfort, calm, just for cleanliness. And cleanliness is not about money, it's about respect !

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Adrien N
Reviewed 19 April 2016

First of all: I can't understand the many negative reviews on this accommodation. This is a BUDGET guest house and NO 4-star hotel. This should be very clear to everybody, in consideration of the price.

I stayed here for 3 nights in April 2016. Yes, the house is pretty old and rustic. Cleanliness could be a tick better (especially the shower room and kitchen) but heavily depends on how clean the other guests are.
There is at least 1 cat in the house. I own a cat myself and had no problem with that. If you're allergic of cats, you might consider this fact though.
The owner, an elderly Japanese lady, is extremely friendly and speaks English surprisingly well.

The rooms are quite big and are equipped with a simple bed, a desk + office chair, drawers and a cupboard. There were some single hairs on the ground, however, the bed was absolutely 100% clean. No cockroaches or other bugs anywhere. The windows appear to be thin and insulation isn't very good, I think it can get quite cold in winter (there's a heater though).
The neighborhood is lovely and quiet. Subway station (Matsugasaki station) is just about a 5-minute walk away. WIFI is free and fast.

There's only 1 toilet and 1 shower in the house. Since there are not too many rooms, I never had to wait to use either of these. There's a single sink in front of the toilet which is used for cleaning your hands, brushing your teeth and so on. You can cook your own meal in the kitchen, I didn't do that though. There's also a fridge you can use.

If you're looking for a Japanese guest house experience on a budget, Green Peace in Kyoto is the right choice for you.

I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Manuel V
Reviewed 3 October 2015

My sister and I stay here every time we visit Kyoto. Chikako is amazingly friendly and hardworking- she keeps this busy guesthouse running so smoothly. Ideal location in northern Kyoto: supermarkets, Kamo River, malls, parks, pond all within a quick walk.

The cleanliness of this place 100% depends on how inconsiderate the other guests are while you're staying there. (The long-term guests there are super respectful and clean; the guests that just come for a few days are often the ones who dirty it up like a college dormitory.) If you have respectful neighbors, your time will be fine; if you have chumpy ones, it will be pretty frustrating.
Yes it's old, and sometimes kind of dirty- but you should be out enjoying the city, anyway! The price for this location is unbeatable. Just go there knowing that the inexpensive price of Green Peace is allowing you to eat even more delicious food and buy even more souvenirs!

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends