“Wonderful Building”

Kyoto National Museum
Ranked #100 of 1,388 things to do in Kyoto
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This museum houses a large collection of artworks and archaeological artifacts from the Kyoto area.
Reviewed 7 December 2017

The building is so wonderful. Regularly exhibits the alternative, but here are top-notch nothing of the exhibition, because Tokyo like to Kyoto but are not there is a wonderful museums, etc. around, comes almost every time, every time there is a special exhibition, here in Ferris . Soon it opened 120 years, a special exhibition to commemorate this "national treasure" will be held. It is uncertain, but stores that it from October 3 next month. National Treasure this time exhibition, from about 41 years Toka, now in total 3 time of national treasures exhibition in the range of fun at the same time, that the large congestion pretend is floating in the eye. Building panoramic view and appearance because it will become a long line, the outer periphery, today I think the garden, etc. are not looking slowly the day was watching carefully with the intention that.

All reviews
"lacquerware"
"housed"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

We visited the temporary exposition on the treasures of Japan. It is an amazing collection of art. Unfortunatelly, these treasures are not presented in the most favourable manner. There is no apparent limit to the number visitors, leading to rows and rows of visitors pressing their way to see the objects. It is also regretable that objects are exposed in a very classical manner. The museum should find more creative and interactive manners to engage the public.

1  Thank Cristian R
Reviewed 19 October 2017

I went to see the special "Masterpieces of Japan" exhibition mid-morning on a weekday. It was expensive to get in and there was absolutely no crowd control - they just let person after person in, to the point that you could not see a single artefact. It was 5-6 people deep at each item, which was something I've never seen at any museum I've been to.

It was so unpleasant that we left after 10 minutes, which is unfortunate because the few items we saw looked amazing. I don't usually complain, but for popular exhibits, there should be time allotments for crowd control, just like any well run museum.

I would not recommend seeing this current exhibit.

3  Thank Kate M
Reviewed 18 October 2017

We chose the best and the worst time to visit. Friday evening had extended opening hours for the special national treasures exhibition and it was pouring with rain so most sensible people without a driver to drop/pick them up at the entrance had gone out to dinner instead. We didn't & whilst it was relatively quiet at the museum, the whole entrance & grounds were horribly flooded.

Fortunately, the exhibition made it all worth it. Special displays of key pieces & national treasures which are rarely on show. Highlights were the room full of Sesshu sumi-e paintings & the lacquer ware.

A special show & despite being uncomfortably soaked it was worth it.

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

I did it again: went to a museum in Japan on a Sunday. Not only a Sunday, but a rainy Sunday. My reasons for choosing this museum on this day, even in retrospect, were sound, but the results catastrophic. If I wrote the number of visitor that I estimate, you won't believe me, but just to give an indication, the highest number I found on the umbrella check stand was 2,280, and it took me a few minutes to find an empty slot to deposit my umbrella.

Being of more than average western height has its advantages in Japan, and thus I was able to see many of the exhibits from the fourth row (deep) by looking over the heads of my fellow visitors. My impression is that the exhibits were extremely well chosen and presented. But under the circumstances, I doubt if anyone had a very satisfactory visit.

4  Thank Hanan B