“Great Location”

Hotel Keihan Kyoto Grande
Ranked #74 of 376 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 24 February 2015

Booked through a third party online booking site. No issues with checking in even if we arrived very late. They have walking maps available and staff has decent English skills.

We took the airport limo bus from KIX and as stated in some of the reviews here, the station is literally right in front of the hotel so we had zero issues finding the hotel. If you have a lot of luggage and prefer not to be hassled, I highly recommend booking this hotel and taking the bus instead of the train. If you are taking the train, Kyoto Station is huge, I would suggest just looking for the entrance opposite the Kyoto Tower and exiting the door nearest to Bellmart. It's terribly hard to get your bearings when you use the underpass.

The normal city bus also has a station right in front of the hotel and this makes it ideal if you want to tour the city. In Kyoto, there are more bus lines than trains so it is more convenient to take the bus to different places. It's also extremely easy to get back to the hotel since you just need to board a bus that says Kyoto Station.

Also since you are already in Kyoto station, it would take just a couple of minutes to find convenience stores, restaurants, a Mc Donald's, a Bic Camera branch, an Isetan branch and you can check out the 10f of Kyoto Station for the Ramen Floor.

Looks like the hotel has renovated some of its floors and we were lucky enough to get on a relatively new floor. They ask you to leave your key with the reception when you leave (it's a normal key, not a card key). You can probably not do this but this is Japan so you can pretty much trust almost everyone here.

As is norm in Japan, they have food and drinks vendos on every other floor and a microwave. I've forgotten which specific floors but you can find this out on your TV.

We stayed in a triple room but it was more of a double room turned triple. This is extremely common in Japan so no issues here, just a warning for those who might be expecting large rooms.

All in all, it was a decent place to stay and for the location, very affordable. It would be a great place to use as a base since you are right there in Kyoto station.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Reg E

Reviewed 21 February 2015

2 of us stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in a "single room for 2 people" ...apparently something was happening in Japan, it was a very busy time and I was not able to get any other hotel close to the station except this one and only this room was available. The room was very small so I do not recommend getting this size for 2 people, it is meant for only 1 person. It was very clean and the bed although small was comfortable. Other than that, the location is perfect, the check-in was smooth, the staff very kind and helpful. They kept our luggage well after check out so that we could take a tour of Arashiyama. I asked for directions to a post office and they took my package and mailed it for me! Would definitely stay here again and would recommend to others!

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2015 via mobile

I stayed in a single room for one night after arriving in Kyoto. Having done some sightseeing in the morning using an English map provided at Kyoto station, I thought I would collect my bags and check in. Beware - the hotel was listed on the map which I thought was very handy as my phone had gone flat and understanding addresses can be tricky. The location on the map was wrong! After searching for almost an hour around the backstreets just a few streets away I thought I would go to the Avanti department store to ask for help - and stumbled across Hotel Keihan!

I was feeling less than happy at this stage, but check in was quick and easy and my room was small but warm, clean and had tea, slippers and a dressing gown - enough to cheer me up quickly.

So long as you don't rely on maps provided by the station (and I think another review mentioned the google maps location was off too), the hotel is in a great location for travelers - across the road from the station but towards the end of the station, and right next to Avanti (technically they are joined in the same building I recall). Follow signs at the station to Avanti instead of relying on maps!

• Stayed: January 2015
1  Thank Annalies
Reviewed 1 January 2015

Overall a rather decent hotel and appears to be popular with Japanese tourists. Location wise it is very convenient as it is located across from Kyoto Station with access to JR lines and the local metro (via an underpass) and right next door to a mall (Avanti). For those using the Google Maps app on their phones, beware that the location of the hotel is wrongly stated there.

Staff of the hotel is what made the stay memorable. They were very helpful even with the struggles with English. We had a lost luggage that had been trailing us from Narita since the day we landed and started moving all over the Japan and communication with the airport baggage service people have been a nightmare. The staff were helpful in speaking to the baggage services people and managed to get our lost luggage delivered to the hotel.

Everything in the room worked as it should. Decor and fittings are rather dated but the room and bath was clean. The in-room air purifier and humidifier was much appreciated and made sleeping in the heated room during winter quite pleasant.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank OliK75
Reviewed 24 December 2014

Not much to complain about but not much to rave about either. The hotel is easy to locate but trying to check-in/check-out/ask the reception questions takes quite a while as there seems to always be a long queue. Room is quiet and clean.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family