“Some great works - but check what's on first”

Municipal Museum of Fine Art
Ranked #116 of 1,321 things to do in Osaka
Reviewed 22 June 2016

We visited this museum as part of having free entry with our Grutto passes. The works in display were varied - ceramics, calligraphy, oriental images, paintings, and statues - most of which was Japanese. The painting hall was European and was the poorest hall there.
Much of the museum still seemed to be sealed off so not sure of the current works are to be expanded. There wasn't a guide but the labels were also in English which have some information.
Photography is not permitted.
Fairly quiet here but this enabled us to enjoy the works in a relaxed atmosphere.

2  Thank PKRV
"japanese"
"park"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 7 May 2016

I had read one of the other reviews and went straight for the underground part. There were two separate exhibitions going on with three people each on the counters to mind them. None of them could tell me what they were about, one mumbled “European”. I paid I think 500 yen and went into that one. Quite a lot of the stuff was rainbow unicorn style, maybe I just lack understanding. Of the pictures I liked I could not make out who painted them or what they were about. In the back part there was calligraphy. As someone else remarked, with some explanation that might actually be interesting. Without it was not really for me, even less as I had seen a lot of it in another museum, also without explanation.
The building is quite funky, a bit like a Moscow underground station, but that you can see without paying for an exhibition.

1  Thank Waliserin
Reviewed 3 May 2016

Fascinating to see history presented via scrolls. Labels in English very useful. For me the outstanding feature was the grand marble entrance hall and light fitting. Worth a look.
The entrance fee 1300 I thought was a bit steep.

Reviewed 14 April 2016

I went here today, April 14, 2016 and payed 1,300 yen for the special exhibit, which was a complete waste of my time. It was only Japanese calligraphy, with no signs in English...I walked around the whole museum in under 5 minutes and came back to get my money back. I was surprised how friendly and understanding the lady was, and I did get my money back...it's truly a waste of time and money right now unless you are very fluent in Japanese. I was expecting fine art (paintings, sculpture, etc.) and at the moment it is only calligraphy, which is not fine art in my book. Wait until June to see the permanent collection.

HOWEVER! There is an underground collection of watercolor paintings which are a must see! Half of them are free, the other half is 600 yen. It's just to the right of the stairs leading up the main entrance. Showcasing artists from all over Asia, especially Chinese in mainland China, Hong Kong, Singapore, and also some Thai artists...very nice pieces here I must highly recommend the underground gallery.

2  Thank AlexanderCampy