“Nice Permanent Collection”

Municipal Museum of Fine Art
Ranked #117 of 1,309 things to do in Osaka
Reviewed 19 March 2017

Located in Tennoji Park, it's a great place to stop by if you're in the area, or on a rainy day. Check to see what is currently on display before you go - both from the permanent collection and visiting exhibition. The entry fee is higher if you want to see both. The lacquer-ware currently on display is quite impressive. Allow about an hour to view the pieces from the permanent collection.

All reviews
"japanese"
"park"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 26 September 2016

I was delighted to learn that the Osaka city museum was exhibiting pieces from Vincent van Gogh. When I arrived the museum I was greeted with a sizable exhibit of all the famous collection from City of Detroit. It felt like walking into a time capsule where all the work of art from early impressionism to cubism are in one place. What I liked the most is a little resting place where one can preview the books the museum has on sale. Many art related books are also available for people to browse.Unfortunately, the museum don't seem to have regular exhibits, which I find odd. The museum ground is well maintained but many parts are still in construction. Hopefully, I will see more of a complete picture of the museum next time in Osaka.

1  Thank wangbo928
Reviewed 23 September 2016 via mobile

I went to the museum for the exhibition of Detroit Museum. The exhibition was fantastic, but there are many visitors despite a bad weather. The museum itself is not bad. However, it needs maybe a renovation.

Reviewed 22 June 2016

We visited this museum as part of having free entry with our Grutto passes. The works in display were varied - ceramics, calligraphy, oriental images, paintings, and statues - most of which was Japanese. The painting hall was European and was the poorest hall there.
Much of the museum still seemed to be sealed off so not sure of the current works are to be expanded. There wasn't a guide but the labels were also in English which have some information.
Photography is not permitted.
Fairly quiet here but this enabled us to enjoy the works in a relaxed atmosphere.

2  Thank PKRV
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 May 2016

I had read one of the other reviews and went straight for the underground part. There were two separate exhibitions going on with three people each on the counters to mind them. None of them could tell me what they were about, one mumbled “European”. I paid I think 500 yen and went into that one. Quite a lot of the stuff was rainbow unicorn style, maybe I just lack understanding. Of the pictures I liked I could not make out who painted them or what they were about. In the back part there was calligraphy. As someone else remarked, with some explanation that might actually be interesting. Without it was not really for me, even less as I had seen a lot of it in another museum, also without explanation.
The building is quite funky, a bit like a Moscow underground station, but that you can see without paying for an exhibition.

1  Thank Waliserin