“A wonderful morning in KL”

LaZat Malaysian Cooking Class
More attraction details
Owner description: Come and visit Lazat Malaysian Cooking School and bring back an authentic taste of Malaysia! Our hands-on cooking classes are held Monday to Saturday and presented in English by entertaining Malaysian instructors. We are located just outside Kuala Lumpur city centre and our school is furnished with purpose made demonstration tables and individual cooking stations. Each day of the week we teach a different ethnic menu and provide detailed explanations of ingredients and cooking methods. Students individually prepare their own 4-course lunch, usually consisting of an appetizer, main course, side dish and dessert. Malaysian cuisine is a unique fusion of Malay, Chinese, Indian and Baba-Nonya flavors, drawing upon our country's rich history as an historical crossroads for explorers and traders from around the globe. At LaZat our goal is to bring Malaysian cooking to the world by sharing with you our family recipes, which we have savored and perfected over generations.
Pangbourne, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A wonderful morning in KL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We did a twist on the traditional Malay course when we visited Lazat, as the other person that joined us had specifically requested to do 2 additional dishes. We were picked up on time and had a lovely market visit followed by a delicious roti breakfast. The cooking school itself is in a wonderful location - you feel as though you're miles out of the city, and the kitchen is cool, airy and very comfortable. We were taught by Saadia, who was wonderful. She was extremely knowledgable and had a great sense of humour - I loved that the class was fun and informal, but that we still learned so much about Malaysian food. The food was delicious, and we were very well catered for as vegans. After all of the cooking, we had a lovely relaxing lunch with Ana where we got to taste all of the amazing food we had cooked. My husband and I both thoroughly enjoyed the morning and will definitely do another class if we're ever in KL again. Thanks to everyone for making it so much fun!

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great experience ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I did the Thursday morning class last week and loved every minute!

The class does seem more expensive than others available but the experience really was very enjoyable and I would definitely recommend it to others, if their budget permits.

Despite the other members of my group being really late, Laty made sure that I wasn't inconvenienced and I was treated to my own private extra Market tour whilst we waited for them to arrive. This included a delicious Malay noodle breakfast. When the group joined us the tour continued and finished with roti and teh - even for me who'd already been bought breakfast. We visited many of the stalls in the market including butcher, grocer and the 'spice lady'. All of whom made us really welcome and the last gave us samples to try.

The cooking class itself was brilliant when we got to the school. We didn't just make the dahl, roti and dessert as advertised, we also made tosai and teh terik. We learned some Malay words and how to cook quietly! Our teacher Sadiah was fantastic - good humoured, friendly and knowledgable. Our roti teacher was very patient and in the end my rotis turned out pretty well.

Ana the owner joined us at various points and to eat our meal and made us very welcome. She was very focussed on ensuring we all enjoyed the class. We didn't leave until well after the advertised finish time. Annoyingly there were no Ubers to be found in the area when we finished but Ana very kindly arranged for her driver to take me home. Thank you so much Ana!

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Warm, welcoming & a lot of fun! An excellent morning.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2017

Yesterday my partner and I went to the 'authentic malay' morning class. Starting with an informative and interesting tour of the market and a delicious local breakfast before heading back to the cooking school to learn how to make some classic dishes. The staff were warm & welcoming from the moment we arrived, they were also incredibly knowledgable. The school itself is set in a beautiful jungle location on the edge of KL & the class was well organised and structured. We had an excellent time, learnt lots of new skills & were thoroughly impressed with the mix of fun & professionalism from everyone at Lazat. I would wholeheartedly recommend the cooking school & will certainly be back!

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Better spend the money eating!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2017

Ok, I have never joined a paid touristic cooking class where they charge you a bundle to learn how to cook simple things but I suppose this is the kind of classes.
Anyway, I always thought the money spent there is better spent eating the different varieties of food out there.
If you like something, try it again because "I have so many things to try!"

Sydney
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Excellent authentic Malysian cooking class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2017

This was my third time back to attend LaZat's cooking school which I have enjoyed every time. I learn new things each time and thoroughly enjoyed my day again today. The market visit is always enlightening and interesting, the breakfast of canai roti & coconut chutney was delicious - rotis cooked before our eyes. Our cooking class enjoyed making scrumptious beef Rendang, cooked carrot & cucumber salad & coconut balls wrapped in banana leaves. Our teacher Hany did an excellent job and it was fun to have Ana join us for an impromptu noodle cooking lesson.

Visited March 2017
lazatcooking, Owner at LaZat Malaysian Cooking Class, responded to this review, 12 March 2017
You cannot imagine how wonderful it is to read your warm, enthusiastic comments about our cooking classes. Your thoughts inspire us to continue our passion of cooking for our guests. We are so happy that you came back to see us for the third time, to again experience our favorite Malaysian recipes, and we hope to see you again very soon!