“Friendly Intimate Dining Experience ”
Review of Sushi Hibiki

Sushi Hibiki
Ranked #108 of 5,108 Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
Price range: US$57 - US$477
Description: Sushi Hibiki is a cozy sushi restaurant in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. Using the finest ingredients from Japan, Sushi Hibiki serves a pleasant dining experience provided by supreme dishes, a modern atmosphere, and personalised service. By reservation only.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The first impression one gets when entering Hibiki is the simplicity and intimacy of the place. One often forgets how difficult it is to showcase simplicity and Hibiki nailed the look and atmosphere with such sophisticated elegance.

Part of the appeal of eating in an authentic sushi restaurant is the interaction with the sushi chef and here, Chef Makoto Saito does not disappoint. He is amiable, entertaining and amusing with a very sharp eye to notice every detail that is needed to preempt a diner's need.

We opted for the Hibiki Course which was priced at RM 480. The sushi were delicate, fresh (of course) and a good build up in flavours as you progress from one to the other, but the highlight for me was the Oyster Cawan Mushi. The surprise bomb was the Cod Sperm Tempura. I was rather apprehensive especially after Chef informed me of the content and even more so when he shot me a rather mischevious look. But after bracing my tongue, I gave it a good try with a sprinkling of Osaka salt. In all honesty, I was pleasantly surprised by the creamy texture and how palatable it is. One final note on food is that I found the portioning of rice for the sushi rather too small.

All in all, it was an enjoyable dining experience and for a sushi house in Kuala Lumpur, it distinguishes itself from the others by its intimacy and eye for detail. Price point is a little on the high side but it is a good treat.

1  Thank Ge0rginaw0ng

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Came here with the gf for our anniversary dinner with a stay at the nearby W hotel. The time we were there, it was only us 2 and another couple, so with the ample waiting staff, service wasn't an issue. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating.

The sushi chef was also good. His English is good enough to share various stories of his experiences working all around the world.

Where everything is let down is the food. There is nothing wrong with it, but there was no wow factor. At these prices, I expect when I put a piece of sushi in my mouth, I'm going to feel omg, this is amazing. But everything was just good. I was at Senya dining recently and their sashimi platter (for the price) gave me a more wow experience. I will prob. try oribe later to see what the top top tier in KL can offer, but I hope the food can be improved to truly match everything else in this effort.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank leoninto
sushih2018, Manager at Sushi Hibiki, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your great review..we wil improve more about our food and service.. hope can see you again in the future..

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My first experience for fine dining sushi. By far THE BEST I've had. All the ingredients are fresh (imported from Japan, no local Malaysia ingredients used). It's mesmerizing to watch Chef Sam in action, being very attentive to the cooking and very thoughtful for asking the guest preference (for example can eat spicy or not).

The chef did take his time to explain about the food, what are the ingredient used and on how the right way to eat the sushi (which is not by using chopstick, in tradition way is bare hands).

I would recommend people to come to this sushi. The food DOES speak for itself.

1  Thank adonkukkidd
sushih2018, Manager at Sushi Hibiki, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Reviewed 10 November 2018

Firstly, when we come the server approached us politely, offered me as well to put my things inside one of the box. The server attentive, friendly and knowledgeable, The chef, Sam from Japan with experience more than 20 years in Japanese cuisine had more skills how interact with customer while serving the food, the food quality? yes i can say marvelous with grilled snapper fish, mackerel, and don't forget to try Chawan Mushi i would to say is one of my favorite!. Big applause to all of them, hopefully see you next time Sayonara!

1  Thank Daydream767984

Reviewed 8 November 2018

If you're looking for sushi, this is a must go place in town. Bringing you the Authentic Japanese sushi bar experience where you get to eat freshly made sushi in front of your eyes (that is, if your manage to get a spot on the sushi bar). With 25 year of experience in making sushi, Chef Saito is definitely not letting you go home without feeling satisfied. We tried the hibiki set menu but would definitely go back for other menu as the ambience, service and food quality is definitely worth the price.

1  Thank Odette_Lee