“Quality Hotel - Great Location”

Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #26 of 353 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Very nice hotel with excellent rooms which were well appointed ours had a view of the Petronas Towers which was a bonus. The location was good with a short walk to KLCC Park, and one of the main shopping streets. There were warnings of an increase in bag snatching in KL that the hotel did warn us about be did not have any problems. Make sure you bargin for taxi journeys which are cheap but they do like to ask for more, also the airport is 70km away.
The breakfast was fine although the room was very busy and in general more directed to Asian rather than Europeans as the hotel has many more Asian guests than westerns. The staff were very friendly and helpful, my one major gripe is the concierge desk whose information was limited, inaccurate and very very bias towards selling the hotel ( expensive) trips. I have complained to the hotel about this as I find it particularly annoying. The concierge told me one morning at 8am that there was no chance of tickets for the Petronas Towers that day as there would be a queue and they would be all gone for that day and that the ticket office opened at 9am but i could book the hotel trip at about 8 times the ticket price. I knew that it opened at 8.30 and I went anyway, arrived at 8.15 and half an hour had my tickets for that day at 11.30. There was a queue but not that bad.
Do your own research about KL sites and take the information with you, if you want tours source a reputable one before you go.
In general Hugh a very nice and well staffed hotel.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,639)

Reviewed 12 September 2012

We spent four nights here at a Club level room. The hotel itself is very large and has an opulent foyer. We had no complaints about the room itself, good bed and good bathroom. However, their service left something to be desired. Down in the Club area the only maps of KL were inadequate and the concierge said he would get a map from downstairs for us but never came back. On the first day we rang down three times to have our laundry picked up for cleaning. It was only taken when the night time service came to see if we wanted a turn down service but they obviously weren't expecting to pick up our laundry.

Our room rate entitled us to breakfast either downstairs or on the Club level. On the two occasions we went downstairs both times we were told that we were not entitled to a free breakfast. When I said doesn't our room number which clearly indicated we were staying on the Club level, show that we would be entitled to breakfast ( everyone booking into the Club level is entitled to breakfast) they said yes, but they would have to check with reception. The following morning we went through the same procedure. As to breakfast itself, there was a lot of variety but we were not overly impressed with the quality. I would prefer fewer choices and more time spent on the quality of what was offered. The two breakfasts we had in the Club Lounge were better.

I do have to say that the free afternoon tea and drinks and canapes at night were very nice.

By no means did we have an unsatisfactory stay and the price was quite good but we would choose elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Specifically ask for a room with a view of the Petronas Towers if that is what you want. The extra...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Royale Chulan is impressive in design, combining Malay traditions, and this is evident not just in the grand lobby and public areas, but in the room as well. The hotel is very clean, the room we had was large, well appointed and well maintained, with a comfortable bed and pillows. The bathroom was large, with a separate shower and tub, with thick soft towels. Breakfast was simply superb -- when we were searching for a hotel to stay in, we saw very good feedback about the breakfast even with some commenting that this was the best buffet breakfast in KL -- so we had high expectations. That, plus being a foodie, I set the bar high. So happy to find out that their breakfast lived up to the hype! The choice is enormous with the international fare available -- with hot dishes and cold ones being served. You name it, they got it -- Malay, Indian, Japanese, Western -- and the important thing is that it was impressive not just for the quantity but for the quality. The only thing which could be improved is to include more in the choice of Western food, more and better types of bread (integral, rye, etc), cheeses and cold meats.

What was a bit puzzling for us was the way to the pool -- it was not to be found easily, there are no good signs and when we did find it, it was just a small door which seemed to even be an emergency exit. Didn't seem at all to be a 5-star thing. The location is great too, it is beside the official souvenir shop where quality souvenirs can be bought, and close to some interesting places, including the Petronas towers. The Hop on-Hop off bus stops in the souvenir shop beside, so it is convenient for hotel guests.

The only downside to this stay was that there was no good wifi connection. We had to go to the lobby every time we needed to connect to the wifi.

Otherwise, we would certainly return to this hotel again -- the breakfast alone is attraction enough! Great place for business, for couples, and for family -- we certainly saw an even mix of all these types of guests, which says a lot for value, quality, and functionality of the hotel!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I have spent three days in Royale Chulan in Kuala Lumpur and I have been impressed by the quality of this establishment.

Location: excellent location in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, 5 minutes walk to the main shopping street as well as to Petronas towers.
Rooms: very big, clean, comfortable beds, spacious bath
Breakfast: lots of food, mainly Asian

Overall, a very good impression.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Checked in with my family of two kids to celebrate our wedding anniversary, we arrived late evening and the hotel was quiet and the lobby was empty. Room was ready but not up to the expectation as the room carpet was dirty and the room was overlooking a roof though I had requested for a better view as we were staying for 5 days.
Reception staff was not courteous at all and I felt as I had walked into a two star property. Though I had informed him about me being an hotelier and was expecting for a better service.
I found my way to the room as I was not offered to be assisted; luggage was not delivered for more than half an hour so I had to call the concierge to request for my bags as we had friends waiting for us in the lobby.
We were given room 312 and the room carpet was in a very bad condition which I had informed to the bellman but nothing was heard further from the hotel for a solution.
Room cleaning was very below for a five star hotel as the room was dusty with carpets not being vacuumed, no towels were replenished. On our second night there had been no turndown and therefore I called the guest services to inquire and was told this would be provided “upon request”.
I had spoken to duty manager (Balgis) in regards to the issues and highlighted my disappointment but this was not acknowledged at all. As the room cleanliness was getting worsened day by day I had to call for the housekeeping management to highlight the issue as I was worried for the safety of by baby. I was met by one of the housekeeping manager (Rose) and I had explained how disappointed I was as an hotelier working for a leading hotel chain and having to spend my anniversary in great disappointment. Rose was so thoughtful and apologized to the shortfall and also had a thorough clean given to the room (this was the previous night to our check out).
Overall the hotel lacks service efficiency to be a 5 star and I would rather rate this as a 4 star hotel and if it is not for the hotels interior this would go as a 3 star.
Never coming back to this place as there are better options to select in KL.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family