“Kept thinking it couldn't get better!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Eat Like a Local: Kuala Lumpur Hawker Center and Street Food Tour by Night
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Food has always been part of our communities. Having multiple ethnicities where you live gives you great chance to be a part of so many celebrations. And with all these celebrations there is always a meal. So you see, us Malaysians take our food very seriously. Food Tour Malaysia Food in Petaling Jaya and Kuala Lumpur is unique. Some dishes here you will not be able to find in other parts of the country, and if you do, chances are that they probably could trace their roots to these 2 cities. Penang being the only other exception. The daily ritual of eating communally is one of the most endearing of Malaysian experiences. It is warm, and it's at the dinner table where you get to really understand and get the authentic 'feel', the heartbeat of the Malaysian community.
London, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Kept thinking it couldn't get better!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2015

I went on this tour yesterday and couldn't recommend it highly enough. We started off by sampling Malay food and there was so much that I was pretty much full after that. But there were three more stops after that! My favourite stop was the last one which had incredible roti - I intend to return! It's a great tour for people that live in KL but are looking to be a bit more adventurous with their food and find some good local places to eat as well as tourists looking for a cultural experience. Our guide was entertaining and informative and we learnt so much about local customs too. Book now!

Visited September 2015
2 Thank SalouW

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best thing we did in KL!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2015

Awesome experience and highly recommend it!! A bit out of our comfort zone but all the food was outstanding!! Best way to experience the real Malaysia.

Visited September 2015
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Won't regret for affordable price good local food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2015

For local food eater with good price and acceptable quality-- definitely this is a good place for a family and group of good friends to enjoy food at this place.

Visited May 2015
New York City, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great local food, fantastic guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2015

My husband & I booked the "Off the Eaten Track" tour while in KL, and it was one of the highlights of our entire trip! Three stops (Malay, Indian, and Chinese food, plus a mini stop for pancakes!) will leave you stuffed. Our guide Farrah brought the experience from good to excellent with her great sense of humor, funny stories, and great energy that kept everyone engaged & eager to try more. Great local places that would be impossible for a regular tourist to discover on their own. Highly recommended!

Visited May 2015
3 Thank Alexandra M
New Hampshire
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 226 helpful votes
“Great food tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2015

We have done about 10 food tours across the globe, and this was one of the more fun ones. I highly recommend it! We had one night in KL on our way home and this was the perfect way to see and experience many parts of the city that I otherwise never would have. We did the "off the beaten track" tour.

You take the train to a fairly suburban train stop where the guide meets you. I have to say, it was a bit odd when we first met the guide because he rolled up in his personal car and told us that we'd be driving around in it. Once we got past the initial oddness, it was completely fine and allowed us to get to many parts of the city that just wouldn't be possible otherwise.

The first stop was a local market in suburban KL. We had a sampling of food from about 5-6 different vendors including sting ray, noodles, satay, stir fried beets, durian (at my request), and a Malaysian lime drink. We were clearly the only non-Malaysians at the market. A total local experience!

The next stop was another local spot with various food stalls. I forget the name of the dish that we had (Nasi something), but it was basically rice, a hard boiled egg, samabal, nuts. Again, very good and we were the only non-locals here!

When then stopped in Little India and walked around for a bit, getting some Indian sweets.

The last stop was an Indian restaurant (not in Little India) where we had southern Indian food consisting of various breads and curries. I also had a mango lassi that was ridiculously good!

The guide then drove us back to our hotel near the Petronas towers. We had the option to go to another stop, but quite frankly, we were too stuffed (and I can eat a LOT!). Overall this was a great experience and I felt like we really got a feel for the city and tried a lot of great food.

Thanks for taking the time to read this review. I hope it was helpful!

Visited August 2015