“Fantastic Candle Light Dinner”
Review of PLOY

PLOY
Ranked #419 of 4,340 Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
Price range: US$7 - US$100
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Ploy is all about Modern Asian Cuisine. It also means 'gem' in Thai. Inspired by the true gems of Japanese and Thai cuisine, we love the interplay of sweet, sour, salty, spicy and umami flavours, we believe in meticulous preparation and are dedicated to using only the freshest ingredients. By applying these basic tenets to our favorite foods – we think you'll find dining at Ploy dazzling.
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Thumb up for their service and food. Do ask them for their ipad for the dishes menu. Order about 8 items and we were most impressed by the black fried rice. The waitress was very kind with showing us around the restaurant and taking pictures for us. We were very suprised when the bill came and the waitress informed me that the durian penocotta was on the house as it was our anniversary. Super friendly and worth to go. Definitely a superb restaurant and warrant a frequent visit.

7  Thank LLY_2307

Reviewed 19 July 2012

We ate here after reading the reviews on tripadvisor and cannot see what the fuss is about. Food is of below average quality, over-priced and service random. Added to the uncomfortable 'quirky' seating and it all makes for a rather poor experience.

7  Thank Helmshore_Traveller
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Had 15 people team dinner there, left the place with all good comments from my colleagues and clients. I was impressed - this place is really better than what I could tell form picture (which is unusual). One plus, you can see the Petronas Tower in the night at the front gate and King's palace is next door.

3  Thank PhoenixYY
Reviewed 12 July 2012

The restaurant might be a bit hard to find, but the food and drinks more than make up for it. I've been here twice and both times the service and food have been excellent. The price is a little bit on the steep side but it was worth every penny.

2  Thank Huzy M
Reviewed 11 July 2012

As I am in KL for a few days I have been looking in tripadvisor for advice on which restaurants to visit with limited opportunities for meals. I was interested to see whether this restaurant will live up to my expectation as almost all reviewers spoke highly of the items on the menu.
This restaurant did impress and exceeded my expectation!!

Looking at a city map of kl, the restaurant location looked quite far from where i was located as my hotel was on the left most area of the map (in Ampang) and Ploy was on the right side of the map.
I caught a train from Ampang Park to KL Sentral for 2Rm (60cents) and a cab from the station to the restaurant for 12Rm ($3) so despite the distance on the map the cost was close to nothing and the time taken was around 20min.

Upon entering the restaurant I was welcomed by lovely staff. Riq was extremely helpful and suggested the freshly squeezed apple juice with sour plum ice cubes. What an interesting idea! Injecting flavours of the ice cubes slowly into the apple drink so the flavour changes as you sip on it. This is where my excitement started.
When given the menu I was also given an iPad with pictures for every single item in the menu.
I was so excited by the descriptions on the menu and what I saw on the iPad.
What an excellent idea!
I immediately felt as though I had to try as much as possible on the menu except that I was here on my own so knew that I could only try a few dishes.

It really meant to me that I can try as many of these dishes as this could potentially be the only time I can come to the restaurant, so I asked if there was anything they can do to enable me to taste a bit of everything.
To my delight, they delivered me exactly that. The cost for this was pricey as HAD I ordered the same dishes at full portions and divided it with another person it would be much less than the 138Rm I paid for the 7dishes. However I was very happy with the food tastings that I got and also very thankful that I was able to have the tastings.

I had the 7most popular items on the menu recommended directly by the head chef Daniel Yong.
1. Pomelo salad with roast duck, fresh lime, mint leaf and chilli
2. Caterpillar sushi - spicy tuna and flying fish roe wrapped with avocado
3. Crispy baby squid. Caramelized sauce. Yum yum.
4. Australian BBQ ribs with onion ring fry and roasted tomato served with mouthwatering sauce
5. The famous black fried rice with shrimp and basil
6. Mentaiko linguini with nori
7. Durian panna cotta - just melts in your mouth and the taste of durian spreads in your mouth very pleasantly

The meal was beautiful, inspiring and most of all, every bite was exciting.
I was very lucky as the head Chef had a bit of time to come out and explain the meals for me. He is passionate about his creations, and really cares about the ingredients he uses.

I really enjoyed my time at Ploy and would recommend to anyone who is looking for something new, something different, flavours that will impress for sure, and exceptional service from staff who care.

Ps I am going back with my partner on my last day of stay in KL for another great experience!

2  Thank riery