“Wedding dinner, mobile data, hi tea”

The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #8 of 353 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 19 January 2015 via mobile

Arriving early for a 5 pm wedding ceremony at 3.30 pm on Saturday, 17th January, we decided to have hi tea here, however the restaurant on the ground floor was closed and the cafe on the 2nd floor only accept guests from in house or reservation only. We were turned away and disappointed. The only choice was to go out of the hotel. We were informed by the security guard that there was a mamak restaurant located about 8 minutes walk away using an underpass. We decided to check it out and called our friends to join us from the hotel too. Unfortunately, two snatch thieves robbed our female friend on her way to join us. She lost everything. Still in shock, she didn't enjoy the wedding dinner the whole night. We are indeed shocked and saddened over what happened to our friend. It is indeed unbelievable that there is no coffee house or F&B facilities for guests to enjoy in such an established hotel at any time of the time of the day. Attempts to use our own mobile data at the hotel were also blocked and we had no choice but were forced to buy the hotel owner's Telco. The hotel is located far from shopping and far from known eateries...come prepared next time

Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
10  Thank Gary W
Write a ReviewReviews (2,472)

Reviewed 19 January 2015

I've been sampling many KL hotels lately with a view to finding one that will be my pied-à-terre in my now preferred SE Asian stopover city. This hotel is not centrally located but I thought I'd check it out as I do love an old school hotel with some history.

The rooms are very nice and spacious with lovely bedding and a freestanding bathtub and TV in the bathroom. The staff are all lovely too, with a fresh young energy that one normally doesn't find in a 5 star hotel. The handsome Borneo-born chap (Adzhmi?) at the pool/gym area was especially nice.

There are many shortfalls here though, the greatest of which is the free wifi. It was truly the worst and most unreliable hotel wifi I've ever encountered. The signal kept dropping out making it impossible at most times to even check my emails and my Instagram, so I ended up having to do this in the public areas. The aircon was also very noisy, as it seems to be in almost all hotels these days. The gym and in-room/poolside dining are also extremely basic; there's just a small pamphlet with a handful of food and drink options, none of which were that appealing.

The bar/afternoon tea area in the old part of the hotel was beautiful, even though I didn't sample the wares. The glass-roofed atrium with pretty orchids hanging under the glass is one of the most beautiful spaces I think I've ever seen in my 47 years on this earth.

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for...

Stayed: January 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank MattJamesEager
Reviewed 18 January 2015

I can highly recommend this luxury hotel in the heart of KL just few minutes away from the central train station. During my 2 nights stay everything was perfect here. The room, breakfast buffet, friendly staff etc.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 January 2015

Stayed here twice last month and received excellent service and remarkable value for money. On each occasion we were in the modern tower wing, the second time in a suite. Both rooms were spacious, well appointed and had a luxury feel. High quality linens and the bathroom, with tub and shower (and TV) worked really well.

Service and responsiveness was commendable. When we arrived the second time (about 17:45) the front desk was in meltdown - there has clearly been a major problem with housekeeping - but we were immediately sent to the bar until the restaurant opened and everything was complimentary until our suite was ready. An outstanding Head Concierge was very helpful.

The hotel seems very popular for huge and extravagant wedding celebrations which can dominate the public spaces, but never interfered with our enjoyment our created noise on the bedroom floors.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on as high a floor as possible and facing the Petronas Towers. That way you get a vi...
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2015

We have just finished our three night stay in The Majestic and did not want to leave, ever. We took an upgrade to the old wing because it offered those extra touches and it was totally worth it. A car could be booked free of charge to take you into any area in KL and a mobile phone was given to ring for a pick up. Once the car was not available to pick us up so they said take a taxi and they reimbursed us. It was my birthday whilst there - a cake and flowers were brought up to the room that evening and the next night a photo taken by the girls delivering it of my husband and myself was framed and left in the room with the rose petals and swan towels. The mini bar in this deal was free with a large selection of soft drinks and red and white wine. We could use the spa pool which is fabulous as we always had it to ourselves. Breakfast is amazing with every kind of food from around the world available a lot of which is made to order. From start to finish nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff, they were kind and couteous and a few GB hotel owners could do with learning a thing or two from Malaysian counterparts.
As for location, it is not in the centre of KL but you can walk places if you are someone able to negotiate crossing roads in Asia - it really is not hard and can be very rewarding. Chinatown is the nearest markets, easy to get to the botanical gardens too. If you dont have a car then monorail or rapidKL from Sentral is dead easy, cheap and proably quicker than taxis most times of the day. All the malls are similar shop wise but have different things to appeal on ground and upper floors. Lot 10 has a great food court and Times ( I think) has an door rollercoaster.
Special thanks to Lynn, Linda and Amy who the hotel call butlers but really they are there to help and make your time at the hotel as super as possible. Thanks Majestic for a fabulous birthday we will return.

Room Tip: Old wing if you like traditional colonial style.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple