“Comment on restaurant dinning in the dark.”

Dining In The Dark KL
Ranked #2 of 5,187 Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: A restaurant in total darkness. A completely new sensory experience. Dining in The Dark KL, the very first of its kind in Malaysia.The optic nerve is overridden – your other senses take over. Every sound, every movement, every taste, every breath is an adventure!Thoughtfully designed and carefully prepared surprised menu fit for a fine dining—Starter, Soup, Main, Dessert—with varying flavours to give your palate a wonderful experience and your mind... an exciting challenge!
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Best restaurant ever!! Awesome and all the foods are delicious. Never found at any place and you wouldn't regret for choosing this restaurant as your place to spend time with your loved ones! Very recommended!

Date of visit: December 2018
wernersk, Public Relations Manager at Dining In The Dark KL, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi lukaswam98, thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit and for recommending our restaurant to other travellers. We glad that you enjoyed the night with this completely new sensory experience where every sound, every movement, every taste, every breath is an adventure! =)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,680)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

It was fascinating how me and my friends valued "real conversation" after dining herein this restaurant. We are looking forward to revisiting this place anytime soon! The food was great, the staff were excellent in their craft. Special mention to Mr. Radha, Mr. Jayson, Ms. Joy & Ms. Susana, a job well done!

1  Thank PatriciaJ2404

Hi Ms Patricia, thank you for the lovely response! It's indeed a pleasure serving you towards memorable dining experience! Indeed, the dining in the dark would encourage quality conversation between dining companions while experiencing a novel journey. Glad you enjoyed it! Looking forward to see you around soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Highly recommend for this amazing dining experience! You will need to book. When you arrive, you will be taken care of and just enjoy the experience. Can’t say too much as it’s something you need to try. Highly recommended

Date of visit: December 2018
wernersk, Public Relations Manager at Dining In The Dark KL, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi marybeatty, thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit and for recommending our restaurant to other travellers. We hope you enjoyed the night and this completely new sensory experience where every sound, every movement, every taste, every breath is an adventure! =)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I just came back from the ‘Dining in the Dark’ experience... which a family member bought for me and family as a surprise. It’s a pitch back dining room and we’re supposed to eat our food without the use of our eyes. So have to rely on our sense of touch and memory to figure out the table setting and where all the cutlery are, and then feel our way around the food which is served in small bowls to make it easy.

Most people went in twos, boyfriend and girlfriend. I brought my whole family, including wife and two kids in early teens.

My kids rated the experience very highly, as they thought the food was delicious and the experience was totally new. Certainly they would be only too happy to share their experience with the friends in school. The staff and waiters were also very polite, very well trained, and very good men (I don’t remember any women), and the serving staff in the dining area were visually impaired, and we appreciated a chance to interact with them.

I also thought that the food was tasty, but partially due to the generous salt content while the desserts were too sweet for my liking. And I felt the pricing was too high for the type of food that was served, and for that amount of money, we could have gotten an exceptional meal elsewhere where we could have enjoyed the visual presentation as well.

Also for me personally, I had a passing ‘panic attack’ and felt that the total darkness was like a prison from which I would be more than delighted to get out of. I can now feel the experience of blind people and understand their feelings. Also reminds me of how certain prisoners may be tortured by being placed in total isolation and in pitch black cells.

I was also a bit concerned about the potential of a fire incident, and how diners would be evacuated safely without a stampede or without panicked patrons screaming in the dark. There was no safety briefing or fire evacuation briefing prior to the dinner, and I thought that that was the biggest and most dangerous omission of the restaurant and staff.

In any case, my kids just thought it was super fun, and perhaps that should be the ‘be all and end all’ of it.

Thank you to ‘Dining in the Dark’ for the experience, and thank you to the waiters for the great job. I wish you all the best, as I don’t think I will be back.

To people thinking of going, 80% of what you will be paying goes to the experience, and only 20% for the food. So it’s down to whether you really want the experience or not.

1  Thank RaymondY398

Hi RaymondY398, thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit. Glad that our staff and "darkness experts" has offered good customer service during your visit. Regarding the safety briefing that you mentioned, we have our standard operation procedure if there is an emergency. Our staffs will assist to evacuate everyone if anything happens. We hope that you enjoyed your dinner time with your family completely new sensory experience where every sound, every movement, every taste, every breath is an adventure! =)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Really good concept but it’s the staff who made it! The only reason there’s a star missing is the quality of the drinks but other than that really good, I would definitely go again!

Date of visit: December 2018
wernersk, Public Relations Manager at Dining In The Dark KL, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi beajablonski, thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit. Glad that our staff and "darkness experts" has offered good customer service during your visit. Thank you for your comment on the drinks and we will look into this. We hope that you enjoyed your dinner time with completely new sensory experience where every sound, every movement, every taste, every breath is an adventure! =)