“Best buffet in KL”

Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Malaysian, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Fantastic ambience, fresh oysters, great wine and a wonderful array of deserts. Possibly the best macaroons in KL.

The three of us had the most gorgeous buffet dinner. The buffet selection is pretty standard fare - Chinese, Japanese, Western, Indian - but the quality of the food is really top notch. At RM88++ plus and extra RM30++ for unlimited red/white wine (there were 4 different ones for each), it beats the bigger hotel buffet names like Lemon Garden (Shangri-La) hands down.

More than the food, I adored the service. Friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and efficient staff who seemed to serve with pride.

Definitely planning on a next visit.

1  Thank ziKiQ
There are newer reviews for Contango

Reviewed 16 June 2013

We were here for the Father's day lunch (12-3pm) and it was lovely. Dining room is self-service buffet (inc. self-service drinks and coffee etc). Tables by the windows are the best as some nearer the back/bathrooms or reception seemed a bit dark. The selection of food was very good: seafood inc. crab, oysters and mussels; sushi and sashimi, roast lamb and duck stations, noodles, salads, very good hot British-style desserts (inc. apple crumble, rasp trifle and sago) plus superb macaroons, ice-cream station with lots of toppings and waffles were a hit with the children and the small cheese station with the adults. Staff were very friendly and helpful, good and timely service. Highchairs and toddler plates and cutlery were available for little ones. Didn't see any changing tables though. Avoid the valet parking unless you wish to pay 30rm for it. Price wise and quality is compares very favourably with other KL Sunday brunches at 98rm ++ with a 30rm addition for free flow wine and beer. We will go again for sure.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

We visited this place on a saturday night and had made reservations the day before for 730 PM but we arrived earlier at 7PM but that was not a problem. We like the whole environment of the newly furbished Majestic hotel.Not too touristy and noisy.
We arrived Contango and paid for our buffet RM 88++. We were aware of this pre-pay policy through word of mouth although we can understand why the policy is practiced. The person who took our reservations did not mention this policy to us.
We were impressed with the variety of the buffet spread: Japanese,thai ,indonesian,oriental,western indian.
You could pay an additional RM30 for unlimited wines which we didn't as we do not drink.
Quality wise, it's the best buffet i've had in KL with a less noisy and crowded environment .
The only downside to this buffet was the selection of desserts. Very limited choice and very mediocre type of desserts. If you want macaroons thats are as hard as rock buns, you've come to the right place.
Overall comfortable dining experience with value for money.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

I've been to many hotel buffets in Kuala Lumpur, and Contango ranks among the top 5 in my books. The restaurant features an open kitchen interactive dining concept and guests are ushered to the cashier to make payment for the meal before being seated. Odd system, but it didn’t bother me much.

The spread is fairly reasonable, with Asian, Japanese, Western and Grilled dishes but most of the dishes were not labelled. The Japanese selection was particularly noteworthy, especially the fresh sashimi. If you’re into local delights, give the sambal prawns a try. You can also order the pasta of your choice from the live pasta station. Not fantastic, but pretty alright for hotel buffet standard.

Desserts are Contango’s forte, making it strong competitor in the KL buffet scene. The chocolate lava cake was delicious with a molten centre and the apple crumble was justly tart with a buttery richness.

And the macarons were good stuff. Crispy and airy with a soft and chewy centre, this is the best macaron I’ve tried in a buffet so far. In terms of consistency, they were better than some popular macaron places in KL.

For more pictures and a full review, visit: http://www.bangsarbabe.com/2013/04/contango-majestic-hotel-kuala-lumpur.html

2  Thank Sue Lynn T
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Better a lower rating than the higher one, but I was more critical today, it would really have been average.

A bit of background to this visit. We were celebrated a birthday lunch for my baby's 1st birthday and obviously being the first, I do expect a lot more for the celebration. It is not just any other birthday, it's her FIRST. Hence, the trouble both my wife and I went through to get the "perfect" event arrangement for the occasion.

1) We went to the hotel nearly 4 weeks before the date, to scout the hotel. Because we liked rather oldish colonial type of settings, we thought Majestic would be the perfect hotel to do this.

2) Duty manager was nice enough to bring us around the hotel (including the rooms) and we fell in love with the Orchid Conservatory and also the Colonial Cafe. So we explained to the Duty Manager our requirements and wishes, for the hotel and/or restaurant to come to me with a quotation. This is the part I find it difficult to swallow. We had to continuously follow up with the Sales team on this quotation. There was only 1 time that they tried writing to me and my gmail just did not receive, even so i found that to be rather strange, but there were many instances that we were puzzled why the Hotel did not follow up with us until the very last week before the party. By then, I was fed up with the wait and made a firm reservation with Contango, silly of me to have too much faith in such a prestigious establishment owned by YTL. Am I wrong to expect a phone call from a Sr. Sale person, when he said he was going to call back after his meeting? I think it's not wrong, but guess what, the phone call never came!

3) I have organized many events before but this one stood out a lot for me on the following points:-
a) Tables at the Colonial Cafe cannot be shifted and joined to become 1 long table. It is establishment policy. This is what I think about it. A policy has to be visible to patrons/visitors if it were to be rolled out and I still find it really difficult about to logically accept that. But since, it is a policy, I shall not question too much on that.
b) Orchid Conservatory is so gorgeous, even today. This I absolutely agree. If there are kids involved in the event, even I have 4 kids in my event, best not to do it in there. They (the kids) might just butcher the beautiful orchids.
c) Knowing that this was a birthday do, I do not feel that the Hotel makes efforts to make this do fun. E.g. I had to bring my own flowers to decorate the table and I could not even persuade the hotel to help me do so, even if I have to pay for it. (So not everything can be exchanged via $$$). Also when I have decorated the table, a server said that the Orchids were attracting insects and requested to light up tea light candles. Immediately I felt like I was at a mamak place, because the candles did not come with at least tea light candle holders. Fortunately, after being questioned and commented about paying extra to decorate their table, they came back with real candles in translucent cups, fending off these "invisible" insects. So that's the slacking part about this whole do.

Now to the actual review of the food & services there at Contango.
1) From a perspective of a vegetarian, there are ample of choices (8-10) of dishes. The fake chicken curry was nice, and I loved the paneer. On top of that, the cook made me a vegetarian carbonara and it was delicious, although they have forgotten my order, which kind of annoyed me too.
2) From my guests' comments, the spread of food was really not bad for the value. We had lunch, so it was MYR68++. Too bad, there were no oysters.
3) The ice creams were very creamy and felt like home made.
4) The service from the waiter was very good. Though there were slightly communication problems, but he was very alert with the request of the table. He made efforts of making it really comfortable. His name is Shahadat!
5) Commendable services also came from the front counter, initially mended by Mr. Yung, and they were very understanding, warm and helpful with the whole organization. So thanks to this group of people at Contango, I will come back again to the restaurant. Ooooo, and the triffle were awesome! Everyone loved it!

Still average, much room to improve but this establishment is sooo new. So all the very best!

2  Thank zcemp13